• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY (2018)
3 3

152 posts in this topic

Although it was talked about in this thread as a group of projects potentially moving forward...

Dark Horse Comics TV show plans

Now that it's moving forward...

Ellen Page To Star In Netflix's 'The Umbrella Academy' Television Series

ellen-page-umbrella-academy-1053859-640x

Netflix's upcoming adaptation of The Umbrella Academy has just found its first star.

Ellen Page (X-Men, Juno, Inception) will reportedly star in the live-action series, according to Deadline.

The series, based on the graphic novels from Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba, follow the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes. The six family members - Luther, Diego, Allison, Vanya, Klaus and Number Five – must work together to solve their father’s mysterious death, while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

Page will play Vanya, who is described as "the black sheep of her dysfunctional family." A "meek and insecure wallflower" who is struggling to find her place in the world, Vanya is the only one of the adopted children without superhero abilities.

A live-action adaptation of The Umbrella Academy was first rumored back in July, and confirmed by Netflix soon after. No other casting has been announced at this time.

Netflix's The Umbrella Academy is set to premiere sometime in 2018.

Netflix's 'Umbrella Academy' Gets Five New Cast Members

he cast of Netflix's Umbrella Academy is officially taking shape.

After Ellen Page joined Umbrella Academy earlier this month, five new cast members have now signed on to the series.

Umbrella Academy follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (aka the Umbrella Academy): The Monocle, Spaceboy, The Kraken, The Rumor, The Séance, Number Five, The Horror and The White Violin. Together, they work to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams because of their divergent personalities and abilities.

Tom Hopper (Spaceboy)

tom-hopper-umbrella-academy-1062220.jpg

Emmy Raver-Lampman (The Rumor)

emmy-raver-lampman-umbrella-academy-1062

David Castaneda (The Kracken)

david-castaneda-umbrella-academy-1062228

Robert Sheehan (The Seance)

robert-sheehan-umbrella-academy-1062232.

Aidan Gallagher (Number Five)

aidan-gallagher-umbrella-academy-1062235

Ranking 2018’s Most Anticipated Comic Book TV Show Debuts

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

With 2017 behind us, the Newsarama staff put together an ordered list of all the comic book shows debuting in 2018, ordered by how much we're anticipating them. We're not including already-debuted shows, as well as some that have dropped off the radar like New Warriors. Let's stick to what we think has a good chance of showing up.

We made our rankings based on a poll of the entire 'Rama team, ordering them based on a distillation of our personal lists.

2. Umbrella Academy

Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba’s Umbrella Academy has been practically crying out for a live action adaptation since it hit shelves a decade ago, with its instantly distinct visual language, idiosyncratic, surrealist themes, and just-close-enough twists on superhero archetypes. Now, in 2018, Netflix is poised to deliver on that promise with a TV adaptation that may just be worth the wait.

Umbrella Academy is more of a cult hit than a household name, but with a superhero vet attached in a juicy role in the form of Ellen Page’s Anya, this Dark Horse candidate (get it?) could be the next breakout series on the streaming platform. - George Marston.

Premiere Date: Unspecified 2018

Filming Begins on Netflix's 'Umbrella Academy' Series

Cameras are finally rolling on Netflix's latest comic-inspired original series, The Umbrella Academy. Gabriel Bá, illustrator of The Umbrella Academy series from Dark Horse Comics, took to Twitter on Monday to announce that the live-action adaptation of the story has officially begun production.

"Lights! Camera! Action!" Bá wrote in the tweet. "This has officially begun!"

Along with the message, Bá posted a photo of himself and co-creator Gerard Way, who wrote the comics. The duo posed for a photo on set, holding the Umbrella Academy clapboard.

umbrella-academy-1074794.jpeg

Colm Feore and More Join The Umbrella Academy for Netflix

GettyImages-463632502-e1518819385573.jpg

Colm Feore (House of Cards), Cameron Britton (Mindhunter), Adam Godley (Breaking Bad) and Ashley Madekwe (Revenge) have joined the cast of the upcoming Netflix series The Umbrella Academy, according to Deadline. Feore, Britton and Godley will be series regulars and Madekwe’s role is recurring. They join a cast that includes Mary J. Blige, Ellen Page, Tom Hopper, Emmy Raver-Lampman, David Castañeda, Robert Sheehan, and Aidan Gallagher.

Feore will play Sir Reginald Hargreeves, a billionaire industrialist and adoptive father of seven children with supernatural abilities. He trains them relentlessly to turn them into a superhero team. Britton will play Hazel, a ruthless hit-man who time travels to take out marks. He’s starting to lose enthusiasm for the job. His partner is Cha-Cha, played by Mary J. Blige. Godley will play Pogo in a voiceover/motion capture role. Pogo is a genetically engineered talking chimp who wears tweet jackets. He’s an aide and friend to Hargreeves and his children. Madekwe will play Detective Patch, an ambitious and charming member of the police department who has an issue with vigilantes.

The 10-episode first season of The Umbrella Academy is set to premiere in 2018.

Mary J. Blige To Co-Star In ‘The Umbrella Academy’ TV Series For Netflix

rexfeatures_7946172bf.jpg?crop=0px,557px

Mary J. Blige, two-time Academy Award nominee for Mudbound, is headed to television with a key co-starring role on  The Umbrella Academy, Netflix’s upcoming live-action series from Universal Cable Prods.

Under a one-year deal, actress-singer Blige will play the series regular role of Cha-Cha, a ruthless and unorthodox hitwoman who travels through time to kill assigned targets. Even though she has a few gripes about the bureaucracy of her employers, this job is her life. She is sadistic, sociopathic, and her reputation precedes her. Her true love is torture, and she thinks of herself as a “pain artist.” She really doesn’t care for people—except for her partner Hazel.

This marks the biggest TV series commitment to date for Blige, who has done guest starring stints on such shows as Empire and Black-ish. She also starred on NBC’s highly rated production of The Wiz Live! 

‘The Umbrella Academy’: John Magaro Cast In Netflix Series

john-magaro.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

John Magaro (The Big Short) has been cast as a series regular in The Umbrella Academy, Netflix’s upcoming live-action series from Universal Cable Prods.

Magaro will play Leonard Peabody, a sweet Average Joe who begins to take music lessons from Vanya (Page) and sees something special in this constantly dismissed wallflower, giving her a confidence that she’s never had before. Their love story plays out against the larger than life struggles of the Umbrella Academy.

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

All 10 episodes available now.

The pilot episode starts off a little slow. But then kicks in with quite the wild intro to the characters and their powers.

Watched the 1st episode last night, it was a big lul in the middle, like they didn't know how to move the story forward and did stuff that took up time.

4 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Watched the 1st episode last night, it was a big lul in the middle, like they didn't know how to move the story forward and did stuff that took up time.

Keep watching. I'm already up to Episode 4 and it just gets better and better as you go along.

I haven't binge watched a show like that, other than Daredevil and Punisher. I liked it!

The story does a good job of keeping it hidden who the real threat is. Having never read the comic books I had not source material reference. I thought it was a fresh comic book TV run, and the ending definitely lines up the next season quite nicely.

On 2/16/2019 at 1:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

I haven't binge watched a show like that, other than Daredevil and Punisher. I liked it!

The story does a good job of keeping it hidden who the real threat is. Having never read the comic books I had not source material reference. I thought it was a fresh comic book TV run, and the ending definitely lines up the next season quite nicely.

Same boat here in that I never heard of the series before. This was a very entertaining show and I also found myself binging it this weekend. It will be interesting where they take it from here. I waited until after the show to read up on the wiki page for the series (glad I did-- lots of spoilers otherwise). But after reading the wiki-- it seems like there isn't a whole lot of material to work with for more than maybe another one or two seasons. Regardless- really enjoyed watching it.

31 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Same boat here in that I never heard of the series before. This was a very entertaining show and I also found myself binging it this weekend. It will be interesting where they take it from here. I waited until after the show to read up on the wiki page for the series (glad I did-- lots of spoilers otherwise). But after reading the wiki-- it seems like there isn't a whole lot of material to work with for more than maybe another one or two seasons. Regardless- really enjoyed watching it.

I guess it could go 'Game of Thrones' in that the show could grow beyond the source material by coming up with its own stories if they like. That ending definitely felt like they have an idea where they want to take it. :wishluck:

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess it could go 'Game of Thrones' in that the show could grow beyond the source material by coming up with its own stories if they like. That ending definitely felt like they have an idea where they want to take it. :wishluck:

very true. Whether they follow the next series of he actual books is sort of up in the air. One thing I noticed is they kept mentioning something about a bullet or fingerprint from 1938 -- so maybe they are going way back in time. That would be pretty cool if they ended up making it some sort of WWII type of team.

But I also got the impression they were going to be go forward in time based on some of the conversations Five had with the Commission Supervisor. Either wya-- looking forward to what happens next. +

Just finished episode #2

Bloody good show - then I noticed it was written by Gabriel Ba - who also wrote this great series.....

279310963_Daytripper19.8.thumb.JPG.a8fed8cacf2213d1ec27f2574d64979c.JPG