GA Reading Copies Everyone Should Have

11 posts in this topic

sfcityduck   
  • 2,428 posts

Perhaps a weird topic for the CGC boards, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on what comics a collector really should own, regardless of grade (and perhaps really I mean in low grade) to read.  Comics that should be in a collection because they contain a classic story or great example of comic art, not because of the cover or as an investment.  Just comics that contain stories that either advance the medium or are a great exemplar of it.  To get things started, here are a few that seem obvious to me:

* Impact 1 - Krigstein's "Master Race";

* Two-Fisted Tales 25 - Kurtzman's "Corpse on the Imjun"; and

* Four Color 263 - Barks' "Land of the Totem Poles" and "Trail of the Unicorn."

Your thoughts? 

Robot Man   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 11,872 posts
1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Perhaps a weird topic for the CGC boards, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on what comics a collector really should own, regardless of grade (and perhaps really I mean in low grade) to read.  Comics that should be in a collection because they contain a classic story or great example of comic art, not because of the cover or as an investment.  Just comics that contain stories that either advance the medium or are a great exemplar of it.  To get things started, here are a few that seem obvious to me:

* Impact 1 - Krigstein's "Master Race";

* Two-Fisted Tales 25 - Kurtzman's "Corpse on the Imjun"; and

* Four Color 263 - Barks' "Land of the Totem Poles" and "Trail of the Unicorn."

Your thoughts? 

I would have to put Donald Duck "Christmas for Shacktown" at the top of my list.  DD #26"Trick or Treat" is way up there too. Weird Fantasy #18 "Judgement Day" is also a must read. Heck, all the Barks Ducks are EC's are available in reprint form. Best comics ever published in my opinion.

rjpb   
  • 16,624 posts

Most of the great GA stories have been collected or reprinted in one form or another (not even accounting for digital formats), and unless one really needs the sensory experience of reading an old comic book while enjoying them, I don't know that reader copies are what people need to have. But, yeah, highlights from both Barks and EC are pretty much going to top the list.

Other obvious choices would include Wolverton horror, post-war Eisner Spirit, Jack Cole crime and middle period Plastic Man,  Early Scribbly by Sheldon Meyer and Little Lulu.

Point Five   
  • 21,814 posts

--Early Siegel & Shuster Superman

--Air Fighters/Black Angel stories

--Earlyish Catmans -- Catman features by Quinlan, but some of the crazy backup features are great as well

--Some of the better MLJs (Pep, Zip, Hangman) -- dark, fascinating stuff

--Wartime Timelys

--Barks ducks for sure

--ECs for sure. My faves: mid-run Shock Suspenstories, Weird Science/Weird Fantasy with Ray Bradbury adaptations

--Wolverton horror (great call rjbp), absolutely.

Pickie   
  • 190 posts

Great topic! :popcorn:There are so so many interesting books (and no stop to that at the horizon), it becomes more and more essential to "choose wisely" as to how you spend your reading time?

On 10.11.2017 at 6:36 PM, sfcityduck said:

* Two-Fisted Tales 25 - Kurtzman's "Corpse on the Imjun"

Had the great pleasure to read this story - for the first time - from the original art pages at the largest and most important comic art exhibition (for Germany) here in Germany so far this summer in Bonn (former capital city) at the "Bundeskunsthalle" ("Art and Exhibition Hall of the Federal Republic of Germany") during two visits of mine to the exhibition (also there, just for example: 1 page from "Calvin & Hobbes" from Ohio, 1 page of "Watchmen", Wally Wood art, a complete "Spirit" story and on and on ... + Franco-belge art: Tintin, Blueberry, Asterix ... + Manga original art ... ).

fett   
  • 534 posts

for Captain Marvel a must read should be the Mister Mind and the Monster Society of Evil story arc in Capt. Marvel Adventures -ends with #46. Fun stories. 

aardvark88   
  • 10,032 posts
18 hours ago, Point Five said:

--Early Siegel & Shuster Superman

--Air Fighters/Black Angel stories

--Earlyish Catmans -- Catman features by Quinlan, but some of the crazy backup features are great as well

--Some of the better MLJs (Pep, Zip, Hangman) -- dark, fascinating stuff

--Wartime Timelys

--Barks ducks for sure

I also recommend smelling the pages:

UPllx7C.jpg

telerites   
  • 9,538 posts

Kind of related - I started with all the Alan Light Flashback reprints including the Special Edition volumes such as the Ray and Black Condor and Cap Marvel Jr.  Lots of great stories and art albeit when they were done the reproduction was not the greatest and some b/w mixed with color but still a good starting point.  I was full blown GA after reading back in the 70s.