• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are Your Pricing Sources/Guides?

5 posts in this topic

For a couple of years in the early 2000s, I was buying a lot of original art -- mostly 50s and 60s romance pages/stories. Unlike comics, where there are both guides and copious amounts of verified sales for every issue/condition out there, it's difficult for me to find a good guide of where I should be pricing my pages.

So my question is, for things that are both not as desirable and not as common, where do you get your pricing? A nice, two-year-old Batman page from Greg Capullo has a lot of comps. These pages, not so much.

(I tried to search on the boards here for a similar thread, but the search feature is... lacking.)

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

A nice, two-year-old Batman page from Greg Capullo has a lot of comps. These pages, not so much.

There are probably more comps for your stuff than the Capullo's you mention! Try HA.com by artist and title, and if that doesn't get you much then romance and year...you should get enough hits to rough it out. My guess would be that, assuming no superstar artists, you random pages are now worth 3-5x what you paid and the complete stories 5x.

Capullo doesn't sell his art? Huh...

Anyway, thanks. I have a complete 5-page Al Hartley story from a 1963 issue of Love Romances. I don't particularly care for it and I'm not a big Hartley fan, but I assume it's my most valuable piece because of the completeness and that it's Marvel. (It was also published the same month as Amazing Spider-Man #1, so I can pretty much bet Hartley and Ditko brought their pages into the office on the same day and at the same time, so this is practically like getting an original Spidey #1 story... Right?)

4 minutes ago, RCheli said:

Capullo doesn't sell his art? Huh...

He does but my impression is the secondary market hasn't been established, that's what I'm talking about. So far folks seem willingly to pay big time take-it-or-leave-it numbers that only a monopoly enterprise can force onto the market. Again, not your situation at all ;)

I could be wrong (certainly wouldn't be the first time :) ) but I don't think Hartley Marvel 1963 is going to particularly break that one out, at least not to me. It would just be romance "stuff" from the early 60s era, unless there was notable content of some sort (exceptional lingerie or beachwear material or something timely like JFK, etc). I don't think the market has matured to the point of really breaking out things to the level you're thinking.

So the fact that Ditko possibly breathed on it doesn't matter?

And Marvel over other publishers isn't as big of a deal?

OK... I think I have a price in mind and hopefully it will sell.

Thanks for your input!