• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attachments being moved tonight & this weekend!
1 1

18 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi Everyone!

STARTING TONIGHT, we're moving all attachments on the boards to a new location on Amazon. We're doing this for performance reasons and to ensure that we have plenty of disk space available on the boards. All attachments will be moved (images, etc), including attachments posted in Threads, Journals, etc.

There is a LOT of content to be moved (many, many gigabytes) and the transition will more than likely take at least 24 hours to finish. We're hoping it'll be done by Monday morning.

When the transition is started tonight, all existing attachments will immediately disappear and gradually reappear throughout the weekend. The pic below shows you what an old image will look like during the transition.

Test.png

Once each image has finished moving to its new location on Amazon, it will appear as it did previously, instead of like it does in the pic above.

--

If you post a new attachment during the transition, it should display correctly. It's only the old attachments that will be temporarily unavailable.

I'm sorry for any inconveniences that this may cause, but it's a necessary step to help ensure that the boards run smoothly long term.

If you have any questions about this move or if you notice any related issues, please let us know by replying below.

Thanks,

Scott

Does this include attachments that were posted before the "new Boards" switchover?

A look at this thread shows that the attachments never made it after the switchover.  Weird!  Images show in the preview but not in the screenshot I took.

@Scott =)

5a061341afe89_thisweek.thumb.jpg.a83c318a94902353143f55831925de0e.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

3 hours ago, Scott =) said:

Hi Everyone!

STARTING TONIGHT, we're moving all attachments on the boards to a new location on Amazon. We're doing this for performance reasons and to ensure that we have plenty of disk space available on the boards. All attachments will be moved (images, etc), including attachments posted in Threads, Journals, etc.

There is a LOT of content to be moved (many, many gigabytes) and the transition will more than likely take at least 24 hours to finish. We're hoping it'll be done by Monday morning.

When the transition is started tonight, all existing attachments will immediately disappear and gradually reappear throughout the weekend. The pic below shows you what an old image will look like during the transition.

Once each image has finished moving to its new location on Amazon, it will appear as it did previously, instead of like it does in the pic above.

--

If you post a new attachment during the transition, it will display correctly. It's only the old attachments that will be temporarily unavailable.

I'm sorry for any inconveniences that this may cause, but it's a necessary step to help ensure that the boards run smoothly long term.

If you have any questions about this move or if you notice any related issues, please let us know by replying below.

Thanks,

Scott

Will you be using S3?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Does this include attachments that were posted before the "new Boards" switchover?

A look at this thread shows that the attachments never made it after the switchover.  Weird!  Images show in the preview but not in the screenshot I took.

@Scott =)

5a061341afe89_thisweek.thumb.jpg.a83c318a94902353143f55831925de0e.jpg

That thread doesn't really prove that the move to the new boards earlier this year caused images to be lost, considering that if you scroll down on page 1 you can see that some images are still available. Same thing if you jump to random pages. I jumped to page 1000 (from 2008) and saw a combination of broken images and images that still work.

Images in that thread could have been uploaded directly to boards, but people also could have just posted links to images that were hosted elsewhere. It's not uncommon for images that were hosted elsewhere over a decade ago to no longer work. For all I know the image(s) in that first post have been missing for many years, or were never even there to begin with.

As far as the thread preview, I'm not sure what logic that uses to decide what image to show. I'm guessing it just uses a random image that still appears somewhere else in that thread (sorry but I don't have time to look through all 2500 pages to confirm ;))

To answer your question, tonight's move applies to ALL images that are currently visible on Chat boards, including stuff that was posted before the move earlier this year. More than likely, images that are currently broken/missing will remain broken/missing.

Let me know if further Qs.

Thanks,

Scott

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Once you initiate it, will the boards shake like an earthquake?  hm

More importantly will my DD Perks points still be active?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

You tell me! It's started, and it's already 0.1% complete! :applause:

18 hours ago, comicdonna said:

It will be "rock me like the wind and the rain."  It will be "rock me like a southbound train."

On 10/11/2017 at 7:50 PM, Scott =) said:

Thanks for letting us know!

Cheers!