• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favourite "Accidental" Auction Win

14 posts in this topic

I'm sure we all have great stories of bidding wars, great steals on Ebay etc. but what is your favourite book still in your collection that you weren't actually trying to win ie.  a tracking bid that ended up winning, estate auction where you just getting bidding started etc. My most recent one was for Conan #1. It's not really in my collecting wheelhouse but I just put a bid in for fun that I didn't expect to be anywhere near the final auction price. But I'm kinda happy as it goes with some of my other BA keys that I'm starting to accumulate despite my best efforts not to. :bigsmile:

s-l1600~01.jpg

A couple of years ago, I got an email letting me know that I'd won a CLink auction for a Spider Jerusalem sketch by Darick Robertson that I hadn't even remembered bidding on (though it was only like five days earlier). Pretty sure I'd put the bid down as a "this will probably go for higher, but since I'll never be able to afford any actual Transmetropolitan OA with Spider on it, and I never see Darick Robertson at any cons I go to, this may be the closest I could get" kind of thing. Ended up shocked that I hadn't been outbid, seeing as I'd put a pretty low max bid down. All the better for me, though!

http://www.comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/RADCB7A020151014_9155.jpg

Edited by Cocomonkey

Maybe not my favorite, but I definitely underpaid.  This is a really lousy scan.  The dot matrix effect is from the scanner and not actually on the book.  Fairly nice raw copy.  Won it for $11 shipped.

tec405.jpg

Edited by Brian48

1 hour ago, Cocomonkey said:

A couple of years ago, I got an email letting me know that I'd won a CLink auction for a Spider Jerusalem sketch by Darick Robertson that I hadn't even remembered bidding on (though it was only like five days earlier). Pretty sure I'd put the bid down as a "this will probably go for higher, but since I'll never be able to afford any actual Transmetropolitan OA with Spider on it, and I never see Darick Robertson at any cons I go to, this may be the closest I could get" kind of thing. Ended up shocked that I hadn't been outbid, seeing as I'd put a pretty low max bid down. All the better for me, though!

http://www.comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/RADCB7A020151014_9155.jpg

alcohol is a funny thing....., 

Edited by lizards2

This one almost went bad.  A few years ago I was bidding on a really nice Weird Science #9, it was the last couple of seconds and I threw a $200 max bid at it.  I was really shocked when I came up the winner at $320!  Turns out I hadn’t bit $200, I had accidentally bid $2000!  Still have the book and it is now a graded 7.5, just lucky no one else threw out a final bid in the 1500 range!

13 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

This one almost went bad.  A few years ago I was bidding on a really nice Weird Science #9, it was the last couple of seconds and I threw a $200 max bid at it.  I was really shocked when I came up the winner at $320!  Turns out I hadn’t bit $200, I had accidentally bid $2000!  Still have the book and it is now a graded 7.5, just lucky no one else threw out a final bid in the 1500 range!

I had one of those once - luckily not many came out to play, and  it went for only about $50.

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

When House of Secrets 92 was a $500 book in guide, I got a CGC 5.0 copy on a $50 bid I'd placed just for the heck of it.  There were a lot more finds and a lot less flippers back then, though.

We need to show those flippers!

dead-dolphin.jpg

Betty & Veronica 1 CGC 3.5 - I threw in a bid to see where it would end as I had never seen one before. I'm not sure why I didn't just WATCH it, but I didn't. Woke up the next morning and saw that i won it. I sold it on the boards about a year later for a meager profit. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

I won a Batman #4 (CGC 3.0 OW/W) for $950 two years ago.  I think guide was $1500 at the time.  There were a couple of other early GA Bats (#5, 15, 18) in that same auction that I was actually planning to bid on in the first place, but after winning that one I bowed out:whee:Several books in that auction sold far under guide, so I wasn't the only one who had a big win. 

Edited by TheDarkestKnight