• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay harassment
1 1

18 posts in this topic

What do you do when a person on eBay keeps sending you harassing messages?  This one guy keeps emailing me to complain about the price of a book I have for sale. It's now three separate messages over the last couple months. I've already added him to my blocked buyer list. Is there a way to block someone from messaging you?  Is there a way to report the guy to eBay?

Edited by Red84

16 minutes ago, Red84 said:

What do you do when a person on eBay keeps sending you harassing messages?  This one guy keeps emailing me to complain about the price of a book I have for sale. It's now three separate messages over the last couple months. I've already added him to my blocked buyer list. Is there a way to block someone from messaging you?  Is there a way to report the guy to eBay?

If not, and you can't just ignore/delete his messages w/o reading them, maybe you can just send an annoying stock reply:

thank you for your interest we are sorry that at this time we are not accepting offers in connection with this item

8 minutes ago, grebal said:

If not, and you can't just ignore/delete his messages w/o reading them, maybe you can just send an annoying stock reply:

thank you for your interest we are sorry that at this time we are not accepting offers in connection with this item

I like it. :) 

His persistence in pithy messages about my book is so strange. :screwy:

October 5th - "Too low a grade beat up item
$500 not unreasonable jump at $1000 not from me"

October 31st - "Absurdly overpriced"

November 10th - "Get real at good plus you can hope for $500"

2 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Perhaps he fancies himself an expert negotiator (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Shadow Images said:

I kinda want to know what the book is now.  Doesn't excuse rude behavior. Sellers price at what they want, if you don't like it and they don't best offer move on. Amazing how hard that concept is for people. Not someone I would want to sell to.

It's a superman 14.  The price i have listed is high, no question about it, but it's free to list and I take the philosophy with my keepers that they're always available to someone who wants them more than me; and with golden age you can't always find an immediate replacement in the particular grade.

Edited by Red84

1 minute ago, Red84 said:

It's a superman 14.  The price i have listed is high, no question about it, but it's free to list and I take the philosophy with my keepers that they're always available to someone who wants them more than me.  

(thumbsu   Makes me wonder if eBay would do anything if you told him to go pound sand.

9 minutes ago, Red84 said:

It's a superman 14.  The price i have listed is high, no question about it, but it's free to list and I take the philosophy with my keepers that they're always available to someone who wants them more than me; and with golden age you can't always find an immediate replacement in the particular grade.

Too funny re the messages... Yep, that's the last book I'd take a lowball on. (thumbsu

The hobby is riddled by so many busy bodies who editorialize and offer unsolicited comments, the best thing to do is to block them, ignore them and don't even acknowledge them with any communication.   If the harassment persists, yes, report them to send them the message that their editorials are unwelcomed.  

11 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Go to Site Preferences / Buyer Requirements (click "show" link) / Click "edit".

On the resulting page scroll to the bottom and you'll see a checkbox next to "Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me"

Strange, I already had that box checked.  He must be able to still contact me because he messaged me the first time before I added him to the blocked bidder list.

1 hour ago, Red84 said:

I like Gotham Kid's post.  Jack the price up to $5k.....

7 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Strange, I already had that box checked.  He must be able to still contact me because he messaged me the first time before I added him to the blocked bidder list.

I just found this in an eBay forum and its from July so it likely still applies:

"I have found if you go to your home email and hold the curser over thier name from an email you received from them in eBay there is the email address from eBay ending with @members.ebay.com
If you type the full email into your blocked buyers/bidders list it should block thier messages also."

So go to your inbox in gmail or whatever you use and copy their internal eBay address and add it to your blocked list.

Edited by comicquant

25 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I just found this in an eBay forum and its from July so it likely still applies:

"I have found if you go to your home email and hold the curser over thier name from an email you received from them in eBay there is the email address from eBay ending with @members.ebay.com
If you type the full email into your blocked buyers/bidders list it should block thier messages also."

So go to your inbox in gmail or whatever you use and copy their internal eBay address and add it to your blocked list.

Thanks!  List updated.