• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FeldFans- Al Feldstein Love
1 1

52 posts in this topic

While we're on the subject of Feldstein and satire....

"When Weird Science and Weird Fantasy combined after their Dec. cover dated 22nd issues to create the single quarterly mag Weird Science-Fantasy, Feldstein was left with a free week in his production schedule. Gaines suggested another book, Feldstein reasoned that with other publishers putting out MAD imitations, why shouldn’t EC do one too?" - Thommy Burns  :headbang:

Well, they came up with Panic...here's the first issue (cover by Feldstein), which introduced the new Feldstein signature where "stein" was replaced with an image of an actual beer stein (see lower right hand fc corner) lol

Image result for stein of beer

panic1a_gfc_f.jpg

2 hours ago, edowens71 said:

While we're on the subject of Feldstein and satire....

"When Weird Science and Weird Fantasy combined after their Dec. cover dated 22nd issues to create the single quarterly mag Weird Science-Fantasy, Feldstein was left with a free week in his production schedule. Gaines suggested another book, Feldstein reasoned that with other publishers putting out MAD imitations, why shouldn’t EC do one too?" - Thommy Burns  :headbang:

Well, they came up with Panic...here's the first issue (cover by Feldstein), which introduced the new Feldstein signature where "stein" was replaced with an image of an actual beer stein (see lower right hand fc corner) lol

Image result for stein of beer

panic1a_gfc_f.jpg

EC ED with the great insight as usual!!

Going to resurrect this thread from a few years back, started by Rick in honor of the great Al Feldstein.  

The reason I was looking for some sort of Feldstein thread is that I came across an oddity in a book I bought off of Cheetah earlier today (Jumbo Comics 56).  

Essentially, I was wondering if you knew what Feldstein's earliest work may have been at the Iger Studios, and whether Jumbo 56 might be it ...

GCD notates that he may have done some backgrounds/inks (?) in one of the stories in issue 56 ... just wondering if there is anything else he may have done earlier ... The 56 seems to have a secret message encoded in some Oriental alphabetic characters, and the speculation is that it may have been done by Feldstein (at age 17??!!) because the characters spell out "Claire Szep", whom Feldstein would marry the following year, and stay married to, until their divorce 23 years later ... if true, VERY COOL!!! I wonder what the other Oriental alphabetic characters spell out in that story? The background is not credited, so that begs the question: what other backgrounds did he do prior to issue 56 that were also uncredited?

https://www.comics.org/issue/3177/?

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=17480&page=22

http://alphabettenthletter.blogspot.com/2012/11/lettering-claire-szep-hidden-in-plain.html

JumboComics56.jpg

ClaireSzep.JPG