• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney streaming service impact on Marvel content
1 1

124 posts in this topic

Official launch time was 6 AM EST.  It's off to exactly the kind of start I expected--can't connect via the app, pages don't load most of the time, haven't been able to get anything to play at all.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Official launch time was 6 AM EST.  It's off to exactly the kind of start I expected--can't connect via the app, pages don't load most of the time, haven't been able to get anything to play at all.

I was half expecting that anyway. 

I got in via the app about a half-hour ago.  I clicked into Endgame and two other movies and all three were downloadable.  The Mandalorian is NOT downloadable, and when I went to play it it paused to load every 4-5 seconds for 10+ seconds every pause.

I get that it's new and in high demand, but why not make the Mandalorian downloadable?  Then I can let it take however long it takes, 5 hours or whatever, and watch it with no streaming load issues.  This is Disney's baby, the main thing everyone wants the service today for, but they don't let you download it?  :mad:

Since the sad attempt to watch the Mandalorian I can't get in via the app at all.

Edited by fantastic_four

Disney’s brand-new streaming service Disney Plus may be a victim of its own success.

The $7-a-month service offering an array of Disney classics and new shows suffered some technical difficulties hours after launching at 3 a.m. E.T. on Tuesday.

The problems started a little before 7 a.m., according to downdetector.com, a website that tracks outages. It received more than 8,000 reports of difficulties, mostly with video streaming. Others reported problems logging in. The reports peaked around 9 a.m. and had dwindled by 1 p.m.

Disney said it was working to resolve the issue after consumer demand exceeded its expectations, said spokeswoman Karen Hobson. The company did not say what caused the problem.

Disney has invested billions in its streaming service, beginning with the purchase of a stake in streaming technology company BAMTech in 2016, which it later increased to a majority stake. In 2018 Disney launched ESPN Plus using technology from BAMTech. That service now has 3.5 million subscribers.

In a call with analysts on Nov. 7, CEO Bob Iger said he was confident that the technology in place could handle an influx of users.

I guess someone said 'Make mine Disney/Marvel'. And make that mine, and that mine, and that mine...

Thousands of Disney+ subscribers say they’ve been hacked since signing up for the new streaming service. Hackers have allegedly already stolen thousands of customer accounts, according to the BBC.

Ten million people signed up for the service since its launch on Nov. 12. Hours after the service launched, customers reported being locked out of their accounts.

Thousands of accounts were soon for sale on the dark web for as little as $3, according to Zdnet. Disney+ costs $6.99 a month.

The subscriptions available on the dark web show what type of subscription the customer bought (monthly, yearly, bundle with ESPN+, etc), what country the service is based in (it has only launched in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands, so far) and when the subscription expires.

Customers who have been locked out of their accounts reported their email addresses and passwords were changed. Jason Hill, a cybsersecurity researcher, told the BBC many people re-use passwords across websites and accounts, which likely played a large part in this hack.

“Whilst many may consider having a unique password for each online service to be difficult to manage, password managers simplify this process and allow you to generate and securely store unique difficult-to-guess passwords,” he said.

:whatthe: :(

1 hour ago, Cozmo-One said:

From what I read, It doesn't appear that Disney+ was hacked.  Rather, this is a result of other breaches and people used the same password on Disney+ as they did on those other compromised sites. 

It's the equivalent of getting your house robbed because you leave the key to your door under your front mat.

2 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

From what I read, It doesn't appear that Disney+ was hacked.  Rather, this is a result of other breaches and people used the same password on Disney+ as they did on those other compromised sites. 

Don't use the same password for multiple places!

Disney is stating it wasn't hacked, and pointing to user security practices. Reporting sites are stating something happened.

Disney Responds to Disney Plus Hacked Accounts: ‘No Evidence of a Security Breach’

Thousands of Disney Plus accounts have reportedly been hacked and stolen — and offered for sale on underground cybercrime forums. Disney has now responded, saying only a “small percentage” of the service’s 10 million-plus users have seen their usernames and passwords compromised and that Disney Plus systems were not breached by hackers.

“We have found no evidence of a security breach,” a Disney rep said in a statement to Variety. “We continuously audit our security systems and when we find an attempted suspicious login we proactively lock the associated user account and direct the user to select a new password.”

The response comes after a report by tech-news site ZDNet that several thousand Disney Plus accounts were being offered for free on hacking forums or available for $3-$11 per account. It’s not clear how the credentials were poached, but the speculation is hackers “gained access to accounts by using email and password combos leaked at other sites” or by using key-logging malware, per the ZDNet report.

Disney pointed out that that the problem of cybercriminals stealing usernames and passwords isn’t unique to Disney Plus: “Billions of usernames and passwords leaked from previous breaches at other companies, pre-dating the launch of Disney+, are being sold on the web.”

Indeed, currently, there are nearly 80,000 compromised Netflix accounts for sale from one single market, on offer for an average one-time payment of $6 per account, according to KELA, an Israeli threat-intelligence provider. Also, to put the Disney Plus hacks into context, they appear vastly smaller in scope than security breaches that have afflicted the likes of Yahoo (which said upwards of 3 billion accounts were stolen several years ago) or Facebook (which last year said hackers had accessed info on 29 million users).

Edited by Bosco685