• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slight color touch recommendations

20 posts in this topic

I’m a huge fan of sinestro and picked this up at a really good price , however there is slight color tough in the bottom right corner ( in green pen?) the dealer let me know of the blemish , so this wasn’t a surprise . The pen ( or marker ) DOESN’T bleed through , would you recommend me sending it to CCS for renovation repairs ? Any positive or negative experiences ? Any input would be greatly appreciated 

thanks C948E81B-B5A7-4477-AA30-E44FEF702CDA.thumb.jpeg.4a72f1437e415087af5a0d1e2dbb37ca.jpeg6A1EB875-79C8-401E-84F4-4761516572E1.thumb.jpeg.7baf525b46c75873d7c215c03104977c.jpegE6A057FA-9403-4777-87B8-E17956473F4D.thumb.jpeg.c69e023f4324632c624dba1b842d1cc9.jpeg

3 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I’m a huge fan of sinestro and picked this up at a really good price , however there is slight color tough in the bottom right corner ( in green pen?) the dealer let me know of the blemish , so this wasn’t a surprise . The pen ( or marker ) DOESN’T bleed through , would you recommend me sending it to CCS for renovation repairs ? Any positive or negative experiences ? Any input would be greatly appreciated 

thanks C948E81B-B5A7-4477-AA30-E44FEF702CDA.thumb.jpeg.4a72f1437e415087af5a0d1e2dbb37ca.jpeg6A1EB875-79C8-401E-84F4-4761516572E1.thumb.jpeg.7baf525b46c75873d7c215c03104977c.jpegE6A057FA-9403-4777-87B8-E17956473F4D.thumb.jpeg.c69e023f4324632c624dba1b842d1cc9.jpeg

I currently can't see your pic because there is some maintenance migration going on. However, two comments. Depending on what type of ink was used, removal may require literally scraping it off. This results, IMO, in a very fugly looking book, ruins any eye appeal. Second, it often happens that when a book is color touched, they will often perform other restoration such as trimming, tear seal, etc. Personally, I would not have bought the book. I hope the dealer gave you a BIG discount. The marketplace still frowns upon restored books.

7 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Thanks - would you still recommend a pressing , or should I️ just cut my losses ?

I still can't see the pics so I don't even know what book we are talking about as you didn't mention it in the text though I think it is a GL 7 ? I would not waste any more money on the book. IMO, pressing a restored book will yield minimal return, if any. As FineCollector states above, just leave it in mylar. Trust me, you will not be happy with a Purple label slab.  

Unrestored it looks like it could maybe be a 5.0 or so, which is around a $400 book from what I can tell, and gets little added value from being slabbed in that grade. If you sent it in for resto assessment and it turned out the green could be removed from the color breaking creases with minimal scraping, and that was the only resto, it could still bring the grade down an increment, and it's unclear that the cost would make it all that worthwhile.

If it's for your collection, it might be worth considering if the thought of minor resto bothers you more than the reduced eye-appeal from removing it. Personally I wouldn't bother, I've got a few books with minor ct sitting in mylar that I was happy to get for a relative bargain, and they look just fine to me.

On 11/12/2017 at 12:41 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I still can't see the pics so I don't even know what book we are talking about as you didn't mention it in the text though I think it is a GL 7 ? I would not waste any more money on the book. IMO, pressing a restored book will yield minimal return, if any. As FineCollector states above, just leave it in mylar. Trust me, you will not be happy with a Purple label slab.  

That's an overall nice book and if you got it for a really good price then I don't see any major resto there that can't be scraped of or out. I personally would rather have a lower grade no resto...then again I would never keep a resto book unless it was like FF #1 or something of that caliber. 

Edited by Obi-Wan

1 hour ago, sorb3t said:

Nice looking 5.5. Looks like you got a good result. I've been considering the same thing with a few books with "slight color touch"

Sorry but, IMO, the color scrape is obvious. The crease is big and pronounced, probably the reason for the CT in the first place. Color scrapes always look so 'white' with the width and depth of the crease even bigger than the original. The book is 57 years old, let it age gracefully. I honestly don't understand how scraping material from a comic is not an Apparent Grade. The reason they give trimming an apparent grade is because something was removed. How is this any different ?  

Looks like a color breaking fold now. I have a few of those in my collection. I would imagine the graders can't say with absolute certainty that the "scrape" is CT removal or was caused when the comic was "out in the wilds" being read and such, so they can't give it an Apparent Grade, whereas an edge trim seems pretty obvious/deliberate. I guess it would be fun to think of innocent ways an edge could get trimmed. "I accidentally set my comic down on top of a piece of wood *right* as it was going through a band saw, and the edge was cut right off! It's not intentional edge trimming."

8 minutes ago, sorb3t said:

Looks like a color breaking fold now. I have a few of those in my collection. I would imagine the graders can't say with absolute certainty that the "scrape" is CT removal or was caused when the comic was "out in the wilds" being read and such, so they can't give it an Apparent Grade, whereas an edge trim seems pretty obvious/deliberate. I guess it would be fun to think of innocent ways an edge could get trimmed. "I accidentally set my comic down on top of a piece of wood *right* as it was going through a band saw, and the edge was cut right off! It's not intentional edge trimming."

HaHa. I know with Color Touch, CGC does look at intent, and considers accidents like a pen falling from your hand. You could say you did it while removing the book from the inner well, sliced the edge right off .

I once owned a major Marvel key with a Restored grade of 7.5 from Glue holding a chip. I had CGC remove the glue, and hence the chip fell out. I thought the grade would stay the same because it would be regarded as a Marvel chip but it went down to 7.0 . I resubbed  two more times, every time getting a 7.0 . Anyway, the fact that the book had work done on it weighed on me. Every time I looked at that book my eye went right for the chip and I thought about the chip removal. The love affair with this book was over and I moved it. It just wasn't the same any longer. I suspect the OP may feel the same.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

I concur - it does look obvious and I can’t look at the comic without noticing it , that being said - I’m happy to own a FA of Sinestro at an affordale price , if I do decide to move it - perhaps it will be easier at this point as there are no obvious alterations ? Regarding CGC , I always found it peculiar that a date stamp or name written on a comic isn’t an alteration , but a straight pen mark is . Lastly , I can’t let it age gracefully - because prior to I always looked at the green pen mark - but I digress , I’m happy - for now ....