• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Collecting OA led to to any other hobbies?

18 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I just recently posted a Rip Kirby strip by Alex Raymond and found out that the first panel was probably a swipe of a cover that appeared 17 years earlier in a newspaper supplement.  Well after researching the lion tamer (Clyde Beatty) images it has me interested in vintage circus advertising now! Has anybody else researched an art piece etc.,  and dove into another hobby?

Btw here is the artwork:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1434170

I picked up this Gene Byrnes Reg'lar Fellers strip, and discovered the Boswell Sisters, a great girl group who sang with many fine musicians, predating the Andrews Sisters.

Their music CD I picked up remains a favorite while riding in my car!  You can probably catch some of their tunes on Youtube.

Gene Byrnes wrote a good book on cartooning that included special contributions by his artist friends, including Alex Raymond, IIRC.

Best, David

bos1flip.jpg

bos2flip.jpg

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

It turned me onto sketch cards really early into their development. I actually collected a ton of 2004 LOTR Evolution and bought it by the case due to the original art component. I think i broke 40 cases of it.

Sweet Lord!!!

As a general rule I am in favor of setting up a hotline for art collectors. That way, if they don't have any friends on hand to talk them off the ledge, someone is there to stop them before it's too late. 

Edited by comix4fun

48 minutes ago, suspense39 said:

Not really, but other hobbies brought me to OA collecting and that brought me to to researching and thinking about how comics and it's history fits into larger scope of art history generally.

interesting... have you written on this?

5 hours ago, CartoonFanboy said:

Though I wouldn't consider it a hobby, original comic book art led me to original comic strip art which in turn led me to collecting numerous reprints of classic comic strips that I otherwise never would have purchased.

same with me. This has also led me to purchase a few GA original art pieces that I would not have been interested in pre-OA collecting.

My other collecting interest is Native American art, but that's another topic :smile:

1 minute ago, Hekla said:

interesting... have you written on this?

I haven't, there are a couple of writers who have done so quite well, one is Dan Nadel ( who also includes comic artists in contemporary exhibitions) and the other is German Philosopher Klaus Theweliet. Suat (i can't remember his last name, I'm sure someone here can) is fantastic at putting comics in cultural context....he's great to read. anyway I think there are others who have more time and are more thorough than I, as well as better writers)

If you have an interest in writing about original art or original art collecting you should belong to the CFA-apa because that is exactly why it exists and is the longest running amateur publication about original art collecting out there. Its been going continuously since 1985 and has just published its 102nd issue-another 400+ page opus-this one dedicated to Jack Kirby on the centennial of his birth. I know I leap on this soapbox plenty, but I'm always surprised when folks active on chat boards haven't heard of it. I did discuss it on Felix's podcast last year, but I am always happy to have a chance to plug it when I can. If you are interested in writing about original art contact me at benno119@gmail.com and I will be glad to give you more information. Benno

Collecting original comic-book art since 1982, though for the past couple of years I'm getting more of a buzz collecting original movie poster paintings.  I'm pretty sure that the former led me in the direction of the latter (as I'm a fan of diversification):

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=174936

11 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Sweet Lord!!!

As a general rule I am in favor of setting up a hotline for art collectors. That way, if they don't have any friends on hand to talk them off the ledge, someone is there to stop them before it's too late. 

Your hotline is a great idea, but you could have picked a better number . . . . 1-800-More-Art  :facepalm:

If you mean original comic art ya its lead to collecting Rock Poster art. A fellow comic art collector had a pretty good Rock poster art collection and started selling a number of pieces including some Black Crowes art and the Pink Floyd Backs concept art. Beefore seeing his collection it didn't occur to me to collect Rock poster art. I now have a healthy collection of Rock poster art including, Black Crowes, Rolling Stones, Cream and Pink Floyd. By such artists as Alan Forbes, Gilbert Shelton, Gary Houston, Emek, Bob Masse, Finlay Cowan, and David Byrd.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=91263

Stones_69_poster_art.jpg

which_ones_Pink_front.jpg

5c0ABcHM_0111130334361.jpg

YyZEpI7x_2012150238281.jpg