• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Facilitator Question

20 posts in this topic

We entrust CGC facilitators with sizable amounts of money, and our comic books. So I’ve been wondering, have any of you ever run into an issue where you never received the product you paid for? I’m also wondering what you did (if anything) to try to rectify the situation; did CGC get involved?

I can see how this post could be considered inflammatory or accusatory, and it’s certainly not my intent. I absolutely realize that most facilitators provide an awesome service. However, I see this topic as one potential pitfall of using facilitators and I’m curious about what action could be taken if something did occur.

IMO, anytime you relinquish a book from your possession to perform a service, there is risk. Whether it is having your book pressed, having it graded, having it signed, or simply giving it to the postman, anything can happen. In the case of SS, you are running the complete gambit of risk, everyone touches it. I think you need to give us some details to get any genuine feedback. We need to understand where the 'fail' happened. 

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, anytime you relinquish a book from your possession to perform a service, there is risk. Whether it is having your book pressed, having it graded, having it signed, or simply giving it to the postman, anything can happen. In the case of SS, you are running the complete gambit of risk, everyone touches it. I think you need to give us some details to get any genuine feedback. We need to understand where the 'fail' happened. 

At this point I haven’t had a drastic experience to speak of. Although in my opinion if CGC is going to enable people to submit books, and witness signatures the process should be more official.

If I spend $500 on books on eBay and the items never ship, I can file a dispute with eBay, and they will intervene and I’ll eventually get my money back. With this process you have to really place your faith in people that you’ve never met, and have no recourse outside of small claims court. Honestly, I'm new to SS and I'm just trying to understand the process. Is there a reference of facilitators somewhere, or places where we can review people?

On 11/12/2017 at 6:13 PM, reddwarf666222 said:

It’s happened to me twice. I won’t say names on the board who did it. What I can say is Ty Salazar helped me get one back and after months of complaining I got the other books back. In both instances those people started off well, but after awhile they couldn’t handle the flow or something stole a lot of boardies books. I think on that last guy a lot of us got burned and didn’t come back.

I now have a list of facilitators that I will only use or use a facilitator on their advice. In no particular order.

1. DScott

2. Rich Henn

3. Triston Pence

4. Partrouche

Those 4 above I would use in a heartbeat and trust their word on other facilitators safe to use. I’m probably adding another name up there in a few weeks. It’s about communication, how well can the facilitator follow your instructions, how soon you get your product back, and how well they treated your item in their hands. These facilitators get a 10/10 in my book.

Partouche :)

On 11/13/2017 at 6:58 PM, Par2ch said:

Partouche :)

No no...it's just like the holiday song..

"....and a Partrouche in a pear tree!!"

Edited by comix4fun

On 11/12/2017 at 5:13 PM, reddwarf666222 said:

It’s happened to me twice. I won’t say names on the board who did it. What I can say is Ty Salazar helped me get one back and after months of complaining I got the other books back. In both instances those people started off well, but after awhile they couldn’t handle the flow or something stole a lot of boardies books. I think on that last guy a lot of us got burned and didn’t come back.

I now have a list of facilitators that I will only use or use a facilitator on their advice. In no particular order.

1. DScott

2. Rich Henn

3. Triston Pence

4. Partrouche

Those 4 above I would use in a heartbeat and trust their word on other facilitators safe to use. I’m probably adding another name up there in a few weeks. It’s about communication, how well can the facilitator follow your instructions, how soon you get your product back, and how well they treated your item in their hands. These facilitators get a 10/10 in my book.

I agree with your list. I primarily use Rich and Doug, depending on who will be at a certain convention. Par2ch has also stepped in for me once in a very big way. Not familiar with Triston. 

These guys have all been stellar. I've sent dozens of books through them and only one dropped a grade. *knocks on wood* 

I’ve had some issues in the past (requests for payments I already made, my books held up for 15 months; another order 12 months, etc.) all with one facilitator. An email with my paperwork, receipts, and so on to a local tv consumer reporter about possible wire fraud got everything back to me within 2 months.

Now I stick with DScott & Rich Henn when I need CGC services, find someone local for the smaller shows, or buy on the secondary market if I must. 

19 hours ago, Oddjob22667 said:

I’ve had some issues in the past (requests for payments I already made, my books held up for 15 months; another order 12 months, etc.) all with one facilitator. An email with my paperwork, receipts, and so on to a local tv consumer reporter about possible wire fraud got everything back to me within 2 months.

I'd love more details on this.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, Turtle said:
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Oddjob22667 said:

I'd love more details on this.

I would think this should be posted publicly as a warning, unless whatever justifications they gave were sufficient (like a death in the family, or a natural disaster).  Also please report to CGC is you haven't.

Nope, no natural disaster, etc. Brief illness (although they could still travel to other cons, charging all the way) and apparently some training issues with new staff, but mostly just ineptness & inefficiency from what I’ve gleaned from past business with them and PMs from those who have worked for them.

As I recall, I let CGC know I was having problems tracking my orders with this outfit, so they were aware there were issues and that I would no longer sibmit to this facilitator.