• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defending and critiquing art should there be rules??

44 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, FSF said:

BTW, who is the artist and what other works have they done?  I'd very much consider buying this painter's works but not this one.

This painting is from Jota Leal. All his paintings are caricatural, I find them more funny than really interesting... except in the case of this Batman were you can really have a personal interpretation of why he is portrayed this way...

Some other Batman stuff

https://jotaleal.com/item.php?work=556#cnt

https://jotaleal.com/item.php?work=498#cnt

41 minutes ago, NicoV said:

This painting is from Jota Leal. All his paintings are caricatural, I find them more funny than really interesting... except in the case of this Batman were you can really have a personal interpretation of why he is portrayed this way...

Some other Batman stuff

Now this excellent. I like this guy. Talented with a spin. I can't help but smile when I imagine this Batman trying to do all the things a more, shall we say, agile Batman would otherwise do. I'd love to see him climb up the side of a building like Adam West used to. "Mum! There's a big fat guy in a suit outside the window. Mum!"

I-AM-batman-jota_1.jpg.88df9b10264771efe09488d125309511.jpg

I have no problem with the approach/interpretation but there are things about the painting that I do not care for and most of those are on the lower part of the work. The left leg has issues where it seems to me that the background loses perspective or something, the foot is wonky. The face has less actual anatomy than the fabric but that may be by design I guess but I think it looks odd that you can see veins/ripples through the fabric in places but not in the face. Those seem so trifling really. I don't like that it is just a modeling pose, standing against a wall, without any hint of context or story anywhere to be found. It is like a yearbook picture at superhero high. Or maybe Batman is doing a set at The Comedy Cellar. Again that could be intentional, show the sequential art character removed from any context or something but either way it makes it look odd. Where is the light coming from?

Anyway.

Just now, Marwood & I said:

I can't see Johnny lifting fat Batman up somehow....

source.gif.a89fb4f01d69414bdf3c619a2fa74c99.gif

"I had, the time of my life, and I Jesus Christ......."

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I have no problem with the approach/interpretation but there are things about the painting that I do not care for and most of those are on the lower part of the work. The left leg has issues where it seems to me that the background loses perspective or something, the foot is wonky. The face has less actual anatomy than the fabric but that may be by design I guess but I think it looks odd that you can see veins/ripples through the fabric in places but not in the face. Those seem so trifling really. I don't like that it is just a modeling pose, standing against a wall, without any hint of context or story anywhere to be found. It is like a yearbook picture at superhero high. Or maybe Batman is doing a set at The Comedy Cellar. Again that could be intentional, show the sequential art character removed from any context or something but either way it makes it look odd. Where is the light coming from?

Anyway.

My take is this interpretation has forced distortion (uh, duh vodou! ha ha!) but doesn't provide any context as to why (and why we should care), mostly because there's only a single character and no grounding elements. If we saw more than one recognizable character distorted in similar ways or if it was sequentially oriented and the distortion affected the landscape/backgrounds, storytelling, etc...then we'd understand the artist's view, the artist's style is that of distortion. Or if that's not the case, then something else to tell us why only Batman is distorted (a "comment" on..??) Without contextual elements it's, to me, a self-masturbatory exercise in caricature and see how good I can 'do' fabric.

So it's cool..."just cuz"? Not a compelling reason for me to own and I'd keep my thoughts like that private if somebody posted it on CAF as a just got this in brag under the present unwritten agreement there of if you don't have something nice to say... rules of behavior.

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

My take is this interpretation has forced distortion (uh, duh vodou! ha ha!) but doesn't provide any context as to why (and why we should care), mostly because there's only a single character and no grounding elements. If we saw more than one recognizable character distorted in similar ways or if it was sequentially oriented and the distortion affected the landscape/backgrounds, storytelling, etc...then we'd understand the artist's view, the artist's style is that of distortion. Or if that's not the case, then something else to tell us why only Batman is distorted (a "comment" on..??) Without contextual elements it's, to me, a self-masturbatory exercise in caricature and see how good I can 'do' fabric.

So it's cool..."just cuz"? Not a compelling reason for me to own and I'd keep my thoughts like that private if somebody posted it on CAF as a just got this in brag under the present unwritten agreement there of if you don't have something nice to say... rules of behavior.

Well, he's fat, and he's got a big packet. So maybe it's as simple as he used to call the dynamic duo 'Fatman and Knobin' when he was a kid, and this is his in joke to himself and / or his mates.

Frank Miller would appreciate this likeness. I think its done in the spirit of DKR and looks cool. This looks like a man you would not want to cross. Fun piece. In general though to answer your topic question yeah there are a few rules I find and I try to live by.

1. If someone is proud of something, let em be proud. Don't make it your job in life to let them know how little you think of this work their are sharing. You hate it? Good keep that to yourself unless they are looking specifically for pro/con assessment. If they sharing it in a CAF gallery (or wherever) all happy as a clam you don't need to make it your mission to ruin their impression. Only reason you should get negative in that situation is as follows (again you asked I'm answering):

A. you think its a fake and have proof: In that case do it in private send em a message. If mistake let em save face and take down quietly.

B. If you know/can prove an item for sale is fake and they dont respond to private message, yeah have at it post if you feel so inspired. Be aware you gotta be LOCKED beyond question its not real to go down this route. You show up wrong its a bad look for you and him.

2. Don't mention price or how you could have gotten it cheaper/you passed cause it was just so overpriced etc. Again, falls under the "why try and ruin it for the guy?" idea.

3. Avoid back handed compliments like you are surprised how well it looks when scanned properly, or that hey for the money that's actually pretty good. Ive heard/seen folks say stuff like that and its always uncomfortable.

4. If something really is special or you feel something, or have a nostalgic or emotion based response (positive one that is) to the piece, heck yeah share that! Those are the best replies ever I find. Its fun to find others who feel the same way you do about a piece of comic art.

I think generally if you follow those guidelines you pretty much get to

24 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Ol' Bats has struggled with his waistline since the sixties...

XdAY3zE.jpg?1

Fatman! Fatman! Fatman! Fatman! 

Fatman!  Fatman! Fatman!

Dunanunanunanunanunanunanun FATMAN!

8 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Frank Miller would appreciate this likeness. I think its done in the spirit of DKR and looks cool. This looks like a man you would not want to cross. Fun piece. In general though to answer your topic question yeah there are a few rules I find and I try to live by.

1. If someone is proud of something, let em be proud. Don't make it your job in life to let them know how little you think of this work their are sharing. You hate it? Good keep that to yourself unless they are looking specifically for pro/con assessment. If they sharing it in a CAF gallery (or wherever) all happy as a clam you don't need to make it your mission to ruin their impression. Only reason you should get negative in that situation is as follows (again you asked I'm answering):

A. you think its a fake and have proof: In that case do it in private send em a message. If mistake let em save face and take down quietly.

B. If you know/can prove an item for sale is fake and they dont respond to private message, yeah have at it post if you feel so inspired. Be aware you gotta be LOCKED beyond question its not real to go down this route. You show up wrong its a bad look for you and him.

2. Don't mention price or how you could have gotten it cheaper/you passed cause it was just so overpriced etc. Again, falls under the "why try and ruin it for the guy?" idea.

3. Avoid back handed compliments like you are surprised how well it looks when scanned properly, or that hey for the money that's actually pretty good. Ive heard/seen folks say stuff like that and its always uncomfortable.

4. If something really is special or you feel something, or have a nostalgic or emotion based response (positive one that is) to the piece, heck yeah share that! Those are the best replies ever I find. Its fun to find others who feel the same way you do about a piece of comic art.

I think generally if you follow those guidelines you pretty much get to

Get to.....?

What do you get to? Hello?

This is unfair. How will I ever find out!

Where do you get to?

55 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Well, he's fat, and he's got a big packet. So maybe it's as simple as he used to call the dynamic duo 'Fatman and Knobin' when he was a kid, and this is his in joke to himself and / or his mates.

@lizards2 there's knob jokes going on over here. Where are you?  

8 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

@lizards2 there's knob jokes going on over here. Where are you?  

chumley.jpg

18 hours ago, NicoV said:

Some other Batman stuff

Thank you for the links.  Very interesting site.  I wish he would do some material in a more straight forward manner as he obviously has a lot of talent.