• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I meet a Comic Book Fan..!
4 4

56 posts in this topic

I have a very short list of friends that collect the same things I do.  Maybe 3?  As far as the younger generation goes, I started a thread  a while back about a 15 year old that I met who likes golden age.  I still talk with him frequently as he informs me of what he picks up.  Maybe there is hope that the young folks will keep interest in the classic books that a lot of us enjoy.

55 minutes ago, spidrvacc said:

Had the same type of experiance a few times., Most relevant was joining a comic book group on meetup. few of us met up to talk about comics and have a few drinks and was a disaster. Different ages , Everyone collected something different. Like different comic companys , DC , Marvel etc , different genres. etc.  I was talking about collecting bronze and silver age , no one cared  , another wanted to talk about  who was stronger superman or hulk , no one cared , another wanted to talk about a storyline like watchmen (No one else cared) . Another wanted to discuss the Marvel Cosmic universe and no one cared. i think met one more time without me and broke up afterwords.  I have run into people over the years who find out I collect and its either , Yeah I got alot of old classic books like Death of Superman and Spiderman clone books or they say they have a collection and its going to put there kids through college and then they mention Death of superman,  Brigade # 1 etc.  I have no comic book friends , all my friends are connected to me by sports and music.

Jeez, I don't even want to meet up with my actual friends, I can't imagine willingly going someplace to meet strangers!

Oh well, back to my cave.

32 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

They don't like "flippers" around here :baiting:

flipper.gif.292788b453f130bf67942ab3e7e1a6e2.gif

oddly sensual gif......, :smirk:

talked with a guy yesterday at a local comic show.

He talks about Deadpool a lot, seems to know a lot about new comic stories and story arcs but when the conversation turns to artists it shocked me to discover he has never heard of Adam Hughes or Jason Scott Campbell ( I was showing him my favorite "current" covers )

I’m happy that locally I have a few folks that I can chat to about Gold, Silver, and Bronze.  One insists that Neal Adams is better than Kirby but I give him a pass for that...

50 minutes ago, piper said:

I’m happy that locally I have a few folks that I can chat to about Gold, Silver, and Bronze.  One insists that Neal Adams is better than Kirby but I give him a pass for that...

At least he knows who Neal Adams and Jack Kirby are.   I've yet to meet anyone in my personal life (family and friends) who has ever heard of them. It can be a lonely hobby....

Edited by SuperZar

4 hours ago, spidrvacc said:

Had the same type of experiance a few times., Most relevant was joining a comic book group on meetup. few of us met up to talk about comics and have a few drinks and was a disaster. Different ages , Everyone collected something different. Like different comic companys , DC , Marvel etc , different genres. etc.  I was talking about collecting bronze and silver age , no one cared  , another wanted to talk about  who was stronger superman or hulk , no one cared , another wanted to talk about a storyline like watchmen (No one else cared) . Another wanted to discuss the Marvel Cosmic universe and no one cared. i think met one more time without me and broke up afterwords.  I have run into people over the years who find out I collect and its either , Yeah I got alot of old classic books like Death of Superman and Spiderman clone books or they say they have a collection and its going to put there kids through college and then they mention Death of superman,  Brigade # 1 etc.  I have no comic book friends , all my friends are connected to me by sports and music.

Sounds about right. 

I overheard a guy at work talking to some body I knew about comic conventions. He is a baseball fan and a fan of my team so I already knew him. I mentioned I was a long time comic collector and been to hundreds of comic shows. When I told him what I collected (GA), the first words out of his mouth were "what is your expensive book?". Really turned me off. I would much rather have him ask me "what is your favorite book?". Shows he is not a true comic fan. (my favorite books is not even close to my most expensive book).

He was more into cosplay than comics so our conversation was short...

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I overheard a guy at work talking to some body I knew about comic conventions. He is a baseball fan and a fan of my team so I already knew him. I mentioned I was a long time comic collector and been to hundreds of comic shows. When I told him what I collected (GA), the first words out of his mouth were "what is your expensive book?". Really turned me off. I would much rather have him ask me "what is your favorite book?". Shows he is not a true comic fan. (my favorite books is not even close to my most expensive book).

He was more into cosplay than comics so our conversation was short...

I've had that conversation many times. It seems that a lot of people have difficulty wrapping their brains around the idea of an adult collecting comic books for any reason other than $$$.

5 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

There's a few guys on Instagram that don't look over 30 that buy monster books all day long.  I have no idea what they do, but I do see them post here sometimes, albeit infrequently.

@domuhnator

@Murkadellik

@shortboxed

@streyouttacomics

I can add quite  a few names to that list all under 30, Most are not on the boards though. There's a pretty big community of guys (and a girl or two) that are absolutely killing the Golden age/High end silver game. Im well under 30 but I have a huge appreciation for golden age comics. Its really all I collect, I woulds say 80% GA and 20% Silver/Bronze. When I first Started collecting 5/6 years ago I bought a handful of new books off the shelf, then decided they were terrible and switched right to vintage stuff. After 3/4 years of collecting silver and bronze I got bit by the GA bug and the rest is history! 

And as for what I do, I skipped collage so I don't have crushing debt. I dove right in to the family business as soon as I graduated high school, and I have multiple streams of income from buying/selling comic book collections/Collectables or Gold/Silver. I Drive a Plow Truck in the winter, and I have some money come in from investments (bitcoin)

52 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

I can add quite  a few names to that list all under 30, Most are not on the boards though. There's a pretty big community of guys (and a girl or two) that are absolutely killing the Golden age/High end silver game. Im well under 30 but I have a huge appreciation for golden age comics. Its really all I collect, I woulds say 80% GA and 20% Silver/Bronze. When I first Started collecting 5/6 years ago I bought a handful of new books off the shelf, then decided they were terrible and switched right to vintage stuff. After 3/4 years of collecting silver and bronze I got bit by the GA bug and the rest is history! 

And as for what I do, I skipped collage so I don't have crushing debt. I dove right in to the family business as soon as I graduated high school, and I have multiple streams of income from buying/selling comic book collections/Collectables or Gold/Silver. I Drive a Plow Truck in the winter, and I have some money come in from investments (bitcoin)

You don't have to be wealthy to collect GA. Just lower your sights down a little. It also helps to look for old comics in out of the way places and be real patient. It also helps to be old and bought them when they were cheap...:devil:

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

You don't have to be wealthy to collect GA. Just lower your sights down a little. It also helps to look for old comics in out of the way places and be real patient. It also helps to be old and bought them when they were cheap...:devil:

Absolutely, Theres more then enough affordable GA to go around. I collect all of it and have found more then my fair share in the wild. But I think @entalmighty1 was talking about seeing some Properly big books (4-5 figures consistently) posted by a lot of young guys doing very similar things to what I do. 

7 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

There's a few guys on Instagram that don't look over 30 that buy monster books all day long.  I have no idea what they do, but I do see them post here sometimes, albeit infrequently.

@domuhnator

@Murkadellik

@shortboxed

@streyouttacomics

I'm in my early 30s but close enough. I'll take the compliment :bigsmile:

I'm very fortunate to have a good job in tech, so that's what I do. 

I primarily collect GA but of course I'll still pick up any SA/BA books that catch my fancy, I just prefer going after GA. No secret to it, I simply buy books if I feel like I'm getting good value - I haggle just as hard over a $100 book as I do a $1,000 book. 

As far as the original topic, whenever I meet any comic collectors I just assume they are casual fans who enjoy comics - it's very rare to actually meet a collector as deep into the hobby as I am (that's why I chat with folks here on the boards or on Instagram). Just try to find a common ground on something that you both can enjoy talking about. For me that usually means chatting about current runs, as I still regularly pull from my LCS weekly in addition to collecting vintage books. 

Edited by shortboxed

6 hours ago, spidrvacc said:

I joined a comic group once.  We met at the library.  Private room.   Aside from one dealer, I had nothing in common with any of them.  The group mostly discussed the newer comic stories.  Since I solely collect for the cover art and solely GA, I was screwed.  I did bring I some early Actions for show and tell each time.  They were a hit.  After 4 or 5 meetings, I was done. 

Just to add to dom, I too know allot of "diehard" golden age collectors under 30. There's more of us than people think, so in terms of the golden age market sustaining, I believe it's incredibly hot right now (especially classic covers) and it will continue to rise. I too collect some silver age here and there but there's nothing quite like the golden age (that's where the real fun is), the fantastic art, history and significance behind them is simpy unprecedented.

2 minutes ago, streyouttacomics said:

Just to add to dom, I too know allot of "diehard" golden age collectors under 30. There's more of us than people think, so in terms of the golden age market sustaining, I believe it's incredibly hot right now (especially classic covers) and it will continue to rise. I too collect some silver age here and there but there's nothing quite like the golden age (that's where the real fun is), the fantastic art, history and significance behind them is simpy unprecedented.

All of you guys are impressive as hell, no matter what you do.  Keep it up!  Love the books you all post. (thumbsu