• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I meet a Comic Book Fan..!
4 4

56 posts in this topic

I'm sort of amazed that any of the current titles have interesting enough going on in them for people to talk about. Of course that is based mostly on reading comments from people on these forums who don't have much nice to say about modern books that are coming out these days.

My collecting is primarily focused on SA/BA and reflects what I found fascinating as a kid collector. I was a true Marvel only guy back then but have opened my horizons up -- thanks to this board -- to extend into the BA Kirby work at DC. Some other artists from that era also interest me but more of a looking/not buying impact. Perhaps I am stuck in my ways but I figure there are plenty of books in my current collection to keep me entertained and enjoying the hobby. I am also more of a run collector anyway-- and rarely think of purchases in terms of investment/value beyond "am I willing to pay that much for a comic book?".

I do enjoy some of the GA threads and looking at the awesome cover art from those years. ECs are really cool to me as are pre-hero Marvels. I like a handful of the more modern graphic novels but nothing very recent.

The handful of times I've met up with others from this board it has been interesting. I like to see what others enjoy about the hobby. But I would not do well if we started talking about certain story arcs most likely. I am not concerned with knowing everything about a character or all the details. Holding someone to that type of scrutiny to sort of prove they are real comic collector seems problematic if not outright rude.

But as someone said-- the people here on this board are into the hobby from many viewpoints which is awesome-- the collective knowledge is truly an asset. That we hold grading contests to test our ability to evaluate the condition of these great books is something few people I know outside the comic realm will ever quite understand.

a good read ... especially like the statements of the "thirtysomethings" ...

As to the original topic I can only hope for an improvement on the internet golden age forums in my country here in Europe ... (have been working on it for two years now ... unluckily, very, very few nerds do post ... at least have a proper annual meeting at the only non-digital comic book auction ... that's pure fun)

I try not to harsh on modern comic buyers.  To most of the people on the boards, they're wasting their money, since most things turn up later for a dollar, but at least they're reading.  I find readers more interesting to talk to than collectors, because if all you know about a book is its cover, then I know as much as you do, and it's a short conversation.  Someone who doesn't read modern books can still look at the death of War Machine in a Civil War book and agree what a hack Brian Michael Bendis is. :)

On 11/12/2017 at 3:51 PM, MagnusX said:

And sadly we have nothing in common...

:sorry::/:o

Is Amazing to me, how people who share the same hobby
had so little to share.

This is the story,
2 weeks ago I have a new co-worker.
My manager know I am a Comic Book Fan
as soon as  he discover the new guy share the same interest
he introduce us,
we begin to talk
and was like we have each a different language.

I talk about CGC and SS; he don't know what this is...
I mention OA; he say he cannot afford it....
He was talking about almost every new comic release this Wednesday and the current story arc;
and I don't have visit a comic book store in years (I go only to buy supplies).
He don't know who is Kaluta, Buscema or Gil Kane,  
but he talk with fervour about  Flash Thompson being Venom,
he is reading Wonder Woman but he never read the George Perez Run (which I love).

And so on and on, I am 47 and he is 29,
but the gap, the collecting, the reading habits, it's so different, almost abysmal.

I just want to share this...
Anyone had a similar story?

He's a comic book fan.  You're a comic book collector.  Big difference IMO.

I’m not sure it’s that much different going to a sporting event... or your local comic shop.  You share a genera kinship and community with those around you, but that might all on the surface.  That’s good enough to cheer for a touchdown or home run, or nod and smile and say “ooh I love that book” when you grab something off a rack... but beyond that you might have nothing to discuss.

Still, wether you’re fans, or collectors, or whatever... the more the merrier supporting the idea of comics in general.  I’m even fine if people only really love the movies.  

Remember: a bad discussion about comics still beat a good discussion about work!

On 11/13/2017 at 9:19 AM, F For Fake said:

Jeez, I don't even want to meet up with my actual friends, I can't imagine willingly going someplace to meet strangers!

Oh well, back to my cave.

Will say my reasons were just to get to meet some comic book collectors.  My friends are all Sports or Music  fans . We go to concerts and Yankee / Ranger games etc. Go to bars to watch Monday Night football or we get together to watch RedZone on sunday . we text through games( Text like crazy as ND lost Saturday)  . Go to a club to see a band.  But go see the new Thor movie , well either its with my son if he did not go see with his friends or by myself. I saw the Avengers a few years ago when it came out alone at a midnight show , None of my buddys like the comic book movies.  But learned even comic book folks all have different taste so gave up that thought a few years ago.Still have not seen the new Thor movie , probably a midnight show next week by myself . And I am ok with that now. 

22 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I try not to harsh on modern comic buyers.  To most of the people on the boards, they're wasting their money, since most things turn up later for a dollar, but at least they're reading.  I find readers more interesting to talk to than collectors, because if all you know about a book is its cover, then I know as much as you do, and it's a short conversation.  Someone who doesn't read modern books can still look at the death of War Machine in a Civil War book and agree what a hack Brian Michael Bendis is. :)

On this part of the story,
I want to point that he don't buy comic books
he explain to me that the books are available the same day they are release on certain (Pirate) Web Sites.

An for a generation that is use to download everything I guess comic books is one more thing...

For him, Wednesday is download day...

:|

On 11/15/2017 at 5:08 PM, comicdonna said:

Some of my best friends are comic collectors, that I met here on the boards.  :smile:

All my friends are comic book people.

I only have 5 friends though :sorry:

4 hours ago, Logan510 said:
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, comicdonna said:

Some of my best friends are comic collectors, that I met here on the boards.  :smile:

You've got friends?

Luxury.

On 11/13/2017 at 1:49 PM, shortboxed said:

I'm in my early 30s but close enough. I'll take the compliment :bigsmile:

I'm very fortunate to have a good job in tech, so that's what I do. 

I primarily collect GA but of course I'll still pick up any SA/BA books that catch my fancy, I just prefer going after GA. No secret to it, I simply buy books if I feel like I'm getting good value - I haggle just as hard over a $100 book as I do a $1,000 book. 

As far as the original topic, whenever I meet any comic collectors I just assume they are casual fans who enjoy comics - it's very rare to actually meet a collector as deep into the hobby as I am (that's why I chat with folks here on the boards or on Instagram). Just try to find a common ground on something that you both can enjoy talking about. For me that usually means chatting about current runs, as I still regularly pull from my LCS weekly in addition to collecting vintage books. 

I was pretty shocked at the books being posted and the ages of the people posting them when I first started showing my collection on Instagram. It's an interesting community, and I find that I spend more and more time on there and less and less on here. 

Seems like every guy on there is 25-40, with a beard, and a kid under the age of 5 (myself included). 

Edited by october

18 minutes ago, greggy said:
6 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Hide contents
  Hide contents

:o

And unfortunately, you are three of them :baiting: