• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Stamps???
5 5

94 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JR Web-Head said:

Thank you @rjrjr and everyone else for helping me with this mystery.  This is what I love about this hobby there are so many interesting things that has happened to books over the years.  Don't worry I have a lot more question about books and what has happened to them.  I hope I can use everyone knowledge in solving out more mysteries.

Cor, this has moved on quite a bit from yesterday! Well done @JR Web-Head for bringing this up - it's the kind of thing I like to see on the boards, people with inquisitive minds, chipping away at the little nuances in the hobby that most ignore. You're my kind of guy. :headbang:

I used to have a near full run of Amazing Spidey NDS/MJI's back in the day and I kept pictures of them all. I just checked them and, funnily enough, the majority of them did not have the star stamp on them. But I always interpreted the stamp as a sign that they probably would have an insert, when I was collecting them.  I would often scan eBay looking for the star on the cover scans and picked up a few MJI's becuase of it (I found that if you contacted a seller who hadn't noted in their listing whether there was an insert they would often add it to the listing when you asked them to check and you'd then get competition!)

Here's an example of one of my old books that had it, and a few that didn't (always end a post with pretty pictures):

101ndssticker.thumb.jpg.ca0e945cd1089fa951e1cb2b55b7e7e2.jpg

5a0b35a2f38c2_122mji.thumb.jpg.264aa3ac92ebb7b5c6fddb6d47692130.jpg 5a0b35a6ed9fd_122mjib.thumb.jpg.42c208a81409240cb2393a638e5fcf5b.jpg

134mji.thumb.jpg.c24d349f8ea8b32ad0109d8fbf466a80.jpg134mjib.thumb.jpg.fe6245b4cc467e04df6aff1a884459ea.jpg134mjicgc.thumb.jpg.200bfcce08400b0cc80fe14d139bbe9b.jpg134mjisticker.thumb.jpg.b1261807759ed7f05ab9ed5861385702.jpg

138mji.thumb.jpg.309dd2605426e3ba5497c295bd629bf8.jpg 138mjib.thumb.jpg.1f15515a5418fd14b95000cc7f19a1a5.jpg 138mjii.thumb.jpg.3bff4be83aa4c5453315d56a1fcfdaf7.jpg

Cor, this has moved on quite a bit from yesterday! Well done @JR Web-Head for bringing this up - it's the kind of thing I like to see on the boards, people with inquisitive minds, chipping away at the little nuances in the hobby that most ignore. You're my kind of guy. :headbang:

I used to have a near full run of Amazing Spidey NDS/MJI's back in the day and I kept pictures of them all. I just checked them and, funnily enough, the majority of them did not have the star stamp on them. But I always interpreted the stamp as a sign that they probably would have an insert, when I was collecting them.  I would often scan eBay looking for the star on the cover scans and picked up a few MJI's becuase of it (I found that if you contacted a seller who hadn't noted in their listing whether there was an insert they would often add it to the listing when you asked them to check and you'd then get competition!)

Here's an example of one of my old books that had it, and a few that didn't (always end a post with pretty pictures):

Marwood & I 

Yes it has moved a little and I'm happy to see that because people are Interested and helping out.  I have a few more questions about things, that's me for sure an inquisitive mind.  That's what makes this hobby so inserting there is always new things to learn about other then getting the next HOT book.  Your my type of guy too someone who will help out in finding history and knowing people that can help with that too.

Man those are some nice books you had there I love 122, 134 & 138 I need a better copy of 134.  That helps my question out if they were tied together, the "Star Stamp" and the MJ inser.  I'm glad I came here to talk about it.  That's cool that you contacted them to see if there was a MJI I will try that next time I buy books on ebay.  Yes it's always great to end a post with pretty pictures.  

If the stamp indicates the comic was paid for, then an unstamped MJ was possibly never distributed or was an unsold copy that wasn't destroyed.  I assume there was one distributor for all the bases, if not worldwide, then at least regionally.  I never paid attention to MJs or stamps, but what I do remember was that the Navy Exchange in Mitchell Field and the newsstand at St. Albans Naval hospital  got their comics a week or more later than the PX at Ft. Totten.  Never got an Mj or National sales comic from Totten, only from the two Navy posts.

7 minutes ago, shadroch said:

If the stamp indicates the comic was paid for, then an unstamped MJ was possibly never distributed or was an unsold copy that wasn't destroyed.  I assume there was one distributor for all the bases, if not worldwide, then at least regionally.  I never paid attention to MJs or stamps, but what I do remember was that the Navy Exchange in Mitchell Field and the newsstand at St. Albans Naval hospital  got their comics a week or more later than the PX at Ft. Totten.  Never got an Mj or National sales comic from Totten, only from the two Navy posts.

perhaps the ultra-rare shop-lifted copies, or the back door inventory shrinkage copies.

4 minutes ago, rjrjr said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

perhaps the ultra-rare shop-lifted copies, or the back door inventory shrinkage copies.

Don't forget the person working the register was human and human's make mistakes.

:whatthe: Don't be satisfied with those high-odds answers!

As a kid, my Dad would drop me off at the PX while he went grocery shopping.  Killed the time reading magazines as I usually had the comics they had there already. 

Used to read Argosy and True Detective for hours on end, and Psychology Today had some amazing ads.  I don't remember anyone stamping the occasional comic I bought. 

On 16/11/2017 at 12:28 AM, JR Web-Head said:

Marwood & I 

Yes it has moved a little and I'm happy to see that because people are Interested and helping out.  I have a few more questions about things, that's me for sure an inquisitive mind.  That's what makes this hobby so inserting there is always new things to learn about other then getting the next HOT book.  Your my type of guy too someone who will help out in finding history and knowing people that can help with that too.

Man those are some nice books you had there I love 122, 134 & 138 I need a better copy of 134.  That helps my question out if they were tied together, the "Star Stamp" and the MJ inser.  I'm glad I came here to talk about it.  That's cool that you contacted them to see if there was a MJI I will try that next time I buy books on ebay.  Yes it's always great to end a post with pretty pictures.  

Sorry @JR Web-Head, I didn't know you'd responded. 

When you want to call someone, if you type an @ symbol, and then the first few letters of the persons name you want to call, a drop down list will appear like so:

Capture.PNG.0fc213aef9869e1ace1e32b34c50e63d.PNG

Just select the person you want and they will appear bold like this @JR Web-Head in the body of your post - that means they'll get a flag and know that you've 'called them'.

Don't worry about asking questions - the answers may well be here on the boards but it's a great way to get new threads / traffic going, and for additional info to come to light. If people don't want to join in, they don't have to. Your thread has proven that asking questions works, as lots of people have joined in.

So ignore the moaners and ask away! :headbang:

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:58 PM, rjrjr said:

At Kaiserslautern (the housing location for Ramstein AFB in Germany), the AAFES bookstore was separate from the commissary and had its own counter near the front of the store when I was there in the 1970s.  The comics were stamped  by the person behind the register in the bookstore when you bought them.  The stamp was used as proof that the book was purchased.  Stamps could be found on the back or front of books.  (I have examples of both.)

Unfortunately, I would only be speculating on anything beyond that.  Without an insert, the books could have been insert books that had the inside removed (which was a common practice with my circle of friends growing up), they could have come without the insert, or they could have received the stamps another way unrelated to overseas military bases entirely.

MY father was stationed at Ramstein and  we lived on Landstuhl army base. The Stars and Stripes store was on the bottom floor of the hospital right next to the cafeteria. We were there in the early eighties. I'm not sure what type of ink they used at the time as many of my star stamps have kind of rubbed off the cover from being in the Mylar bags I guess.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:35 AM, Marwood & I said:

Sorry @JR Web-Head, I didn't know you'd responded. 

When you want to call someone, if you type an @ symbol, and then the first few letters of the persons name you want to call, a drop down list will appear like so:

Capture.PNG.0fc213aef9869e1ace1e32b34c50e63d.PNG

Just select the person you want and they will appear bold like this @JR Web-Head in the body of your post - that means they'll get a flag and know that you've 'called them'.

Don't worry about asking questions - the answers may well be here on the boards but it's a great way to get new threads / traffic going, and for additional info to come to light. If people don't want to join in, they don't have to. Your thread has proven that asking questions works, as lots of people have joined in.

So ignore the moaners and ask away! :headbang:

Thanks @Marwood & I I wondered how you did that.  Thank you for the encouragement yeah if you don't ask questions you do not learn and I love to learn.  Plus we have to keep this history alive so that future generations know about it.   

Sorry to come in late on this, been busy, but the star stamps were used by the Stars and Stripes bookstore to indicate the comics were bought.  Some stores had people at the door periodically to verify.  Some Star and Stripes did give out receipts, not all, and is probably why you'll find insert books without the star.  Also, not only stars were used.  Have a couple comics with a large stamp indicating which base the comic was bought.  All of these I've seen came from Pacific bases.

10 minutes ago, androolx said:

Thought some of you would like to see this Amazing Adventures #11 NDS Variant.  The star stamp is on the comic code seal.  Has anyone heard of another?  The guy I got it from said it was pretty rare.  Thanks.

20180210_120910.jpg

Very nice. Take a picture of the inside so we can see the lingerie :cloud9:

26 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Very nice. Take a picture of the inside so we can see the lingerie :cloud9:

It is the same lingerie that has been around for 47 year!  The book actually looks  better than the photo.  The black on the cover and the stamp are washed out in the photo.

37 minutes ago, androolx said:

It is the same lingerie that has been around for 47 year!  The book actually looks  better than the photo.  The black on the cover and the stamp are washed out in the photo.

I know, but I'd still like to drool over it, androolx :cloud9:

weird O.o I have a NDS---ASM 97 and I didn't flip to see the lingerie lol and now it's in a CGC case!

I just saw that it was rings and said national diamond...... I would have taken a picture, it would last longer haha

5 minutes ago, androolx said:

Here, by popular demand, is the NDS insert in my Amazing Adventures 11.  My thing, BTW, is Marvel 30 cent variants.  Have any of you heard of a Mark Jewelers insert in one of those?  I have never heard of one.  I would be glad to trade this AA 11 for a nice 30 cent variant.

20180210_152628.jpg

20180210_152647.jpg

20180210_152701.jpg

That is very nice androolx :)

There is no such thing as a Marvel 30/35 cent variant with a MJI. If you find one, someone made it at school. 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-32515-1380824519-4.gif.08b26d84dae5f104cd6b49d06c6cf0eb.gif