• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Platinum Session: changing the way auctions will be conducted for GA/SA
1 1

42 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
22 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm with you on Shadow Comics being underappreciated, but I don't think this book would make it to $10K however it was auctioned.  I guess we'll see tomorrow how well it does this time. 

Another of my predictions sure to go wrong:  The book is currently at $10,755 (with BP). 

Well, I should definitely never be paid attention to.  Hammer price:  $33,460.

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

JLA mania apparently doesn't extend to MF 74, which went below guide.  Surprised that Master Comics 1 did as well. 

I believe I sold that mf 74 in a cc auction a few years ago for almost double what it went for today...yikes! aquaman and ga not so hot any more I guess

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, tth2 said:

Thanks to Mitch's very helpful post, I now realize that if I am interested in items that are worth $50K or more, I should not have any interest in items that are less than $50K.  This will greatly simplify my life and free up so much time.  Also, improve my health because I'll know longer be picking all kinds of diseases from mixing with the plebs. :whee:

Lots that are worth $49,999 or less?  Thanks to Mitch, I now spit on you>:(

:banana:

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:
23 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 11/15/2017 at 2:37 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'm with you on Shadow Comics being underappreciated, but I don't think this book would make it to $10K however it was auctioned.  I guess we'll see tomorrow how well it does this time. 

Yeah, especially being a 9.0.  That will take it completely out of consideration for some bidders. 

Also doesn't help that it's from a 3rd tier publisher like Street & Smith that is not highly collected by the big money collectors.  This particular issue of Shadow Comics also doesn't sport a classic cover image which is all the rage in the marketplace nowadays. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes, a definite shocker of a price for a non-descript cover of a non uber HG copy of this book.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

5 hours ago, atomised said:

The HA guys had a table at SF comic con last year and we just chewed the fat about a number of things.  They started talking about the Platinum session for books that they were just about to roll out or had recently rolled out, I don't remember.  Part of reason they created that session they told me was for them to roll some of their other customers from their other business verticals into a more curated high end book event that they could participate in without having to know a lot about books or having to select from a bigger pool of books.  So basically to market that session to their whales that are buying in other categories at HA.   They specifically said that was the bulk of the thesis of why they did it.

It seems that business decision really paid off....over 4 MILLLION dollars today for a little over 100 lots. This is the whale auction....very bad trend....

This was 

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I can't remember an opening session with so few books in it.  I think in the past they've led with an OA session, but if they start with a comic session it usually has more books than this.  I realize the strategy is to focus on the key books, but still seems a bit odd to me.

Yeah, but the few books are some seriously big ticket books, mostly SA.

Man, I can remember a time when six figures was an astronomical amount of money for a comic book.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

:whatthe: I think the odds of some of the rest of the MH run of the first series (which ARE uber-HG) appearing in the next auction just shot up! 

Edited by tth2

what this auction can do...if it generates bidding wars between whales is distort the market price/conditions....and eliminates the ability of a true collector to possibly find a bargan....look at the catalog...4 million plus who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for that material...something is not right here.

7 hours ago, atomised said:

Part of reason they created that session they told me was for them to roll some of their other customers from their other business verticals into a more curated high end book event that they could participate in without having to know a lot about books or having to select from a bigger pool of books.  So basically to market that session to their whales that are buying in other categories at HA.

That's actually not a bad strategy to be using, especially if you are talking about the whales with deep pockets that do not know much about the actual comic books themselves.  (thumbsu

I could definitely see some of these books like the Shadow 1 which does have some degree of name recognition beyond the comic book market itself, being lost and buried if it was mixed in with all of the other "also ran" books.  hm

18 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

what this auction can do...if it generates bidding wars between whales is distort the market price/conditions....and eliminates the ability of a true collector to possibly find a bargan....look at the catalog...4 million plus who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for that material...something is not right here.

+1

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

JLA mania apparently doesn't extend to MF 74, which went below guide.  Surprised that Master Comics 1 did as well. 

I believe I sold that mf 74 in a cc auction a few years ago for almost double what it went for today...yikes! aquaman and ga not so hot any more I guess

Unfortunately, in the current type of marketplace which we find ourselves in, it's really all about the keys and classic covers first and foremost.  Second appearances don't really tend to mean an awful lot, especially in the case of another typical non-descript DC GA cover. 

This also brings up the other point which is that auctions are always a bit of a crapshoot and depends if the consignor has luck going for them in terms of the right set of eyeballs on the book.  I could easily see this book going for more than double guide if the right 2 bidders had been chasing after this book, instead of going for under condition guide.  :wishluck:

A steal of a deal for the buyer and definitely no dancing in the streets for the consignor this time with respect to this copy of MF 74 here.  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, atomised said:

Part of reason they created that session they told me was for them to roll some of their other customers from their other business verticals into a more curated high end book event that they could participate in without having to know a lot about books or having to select from a bigger pool of books.  So basically to market that session to their whales that are buying in other categories at HA.   They specifically said that was the bulk of the thesis of why they did it.

Seems to be an accurate business decision. Good or bad for fandom? My thought has ever been: good so! Brings more attention to the comic book universe in general and pushes appreciation for the historical and printed form in particular. Brings new "eyes" and new opinions to the topic as well?

And as to the (non-)affordability for regular fish like me: so what. Same procedure like 20 years ago. Isn't it all about spotting opportunities and "manning-up" early enough? :popcorn: