• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

History of Comics tv show premieres tonight...

18 posts in this topic

The trailer had the stench of Kevin Smith around it, so I avoided it. I was nearly drawn in by Lynda Carter, but even she can't lure me into the realm of the Jorted One.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The trailer had the stench of Kevin Smith around it, so I avoided it. I was nearly drawn in by Lynda Carter, but even she can't lure me into the realm of the Jorted One.

oh he is in there but only a few scenes where he tells us nothing new or interesting. He basically gushes about how the industry worked back in the day. At most he has about 1.5 minutes total in screen time spread out over the course of the episode.

While I learned very little that I didn't know, it was sort of interesting to see some of the pictures and hear some of the recorded radio interviews. They made a huge deal about what Lee and Kirby did during the time--- and for whatever reason Stan does not give as much credit to Kirby as I've seen him do otherwise. Also-- they barely get into Ditko's involvement/impact and allow Lee to make claims that are counter to what I read elsewhere regarding who came up with what. The reason of this is most likely how old the footage of Lee is-- i.e. meaning it was shot when he was still resisting the acknowledgement of his fellow co-workers roles. That footage is probably 10 years old if not more-- possibly shot for that other 2 hour long History of Marvel Comics show that came out a few years ago.

So yeah-- nothing new to see here but worth watching to see where it goes from this first part. Be sure to check out the shorts on AMC.com that are available only there.

Edited by 01TheDude
additional comments

52 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

oh he is in there but only a few scenes where he tells us nothing new or interesting. He basically gushes about how the industry worked back in the day. At most he has about 1.5 minutes total in screen time spread out over the course of the episode.

While I learned very little that I didn't know, it was sort of interesting to see some of the pictures and hear some of the recorded radio interviews. They made a huge deal about what Lee and Kirby did during the time--- and for whatever reason Stan does not give as much credit to Kirby as I've seen him do otherwise. Also-- they barely get into Ditko's involvement/impact and allow Lee to make claims that are counter to what I read elsewhere regarding who came up with what. The reason of this is most likely how old the footage of Lee is-- i.e. meaning it was shot when he was still resisting the acknowledgement of his fellow co-workers roles. That footage is probably 10 years old if not more-- possibly shot for that other 2 hour long History of Marvel Comics show that came out a few years ago.

So yeah-- nothing new to see here but worth watching to see where it goes from this first part. Be sure to check out the shorts on AMC.com that are available only there.

Ok, well now you've got me curious. I just figured with Smith's omnipresence on AMC (can't escape those stupid Comic Book Men promos) he'd be all over this thing as well. Good to know!

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Hopefully they talk about Jim Shooter.  The man

Shooter talks about Stan and Marvel from his perspective of working at DC at the time.

Not sure why people are waiting for it to be re-broadcast. It is available for FREE to stream using the ink I provided above.

Edited by 01TheDude

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Ok, well now you've got me curious. I just figured with Smith's omnipresence on AMC (can't escape those stupid Comic Book Men promos) he'd be all over this thing as well. Good to know!

Yeah, all I hear whenever Smith was talking was Charlie Brown's teacher.

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Yeah, all I hear whenever Smith was talking was Charlie Brown's teacher.

Then you will be happy to know that Smith does not appear in any way in the Wonder Woman focused episode (#2)

But fair warning--- there is quite a bit of talk about bondage and non-traditional sex in this episode that might be a little too advanced for young kids.

Very interesting and well made episode-- Not being very familiar with those early issues, I was not aware how prevalent the bondage was in every issue of WW. I was shocked to see what DC did to the character after Marston's death as well.

next one is called the "Trials of Superman"