• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

downgraded when returned signed, options?

8 posts in this topic

I recently bought an ASM #32 graded at 9.6 but when returned after Stan Lee signed it I got a 9.4

Can CGC take this back to press/clean or could I use another pressing company to squeeze that .2 back somehow?

I cant understand why it wouldnt come back the same grade, as careful as i was keeping it bagged with a signature window, it couldnt have gotten any worse through transport, could it? 

It would be extremely helpful to hear some input, thanks alot!

5 hours ago, Shalashaska said:

I recently bought an ASM #32 graded at 9.6 but when returned after Stan Lee signed it I got a 9.4

Can CGC take this back to press/clean or could I use another pressing company to squeeze that .2 back somehow?

I cant understand why it wouldnt come back the same grade, as careful as i was keeping it bagged with a signature window, it couldnt have gotten any worse through transport, could it? 

There is no guarantee a book will keep the same grade. I would inspect the book when you get it back to make sure it did not receive any damage during its travels to be signed and graded again, but a book can be sent in receive a different grade with nothing being done to it upon submission. 

9 hours ago, Shalashaska said:

Did you include the label before submitting it to CGC after Lee signing?

Unfortunately this is always the risk you take when you crack slabs to add sigs - especially when you're in the gray-zone between 9.4 / 9.6 / 9.8 (where the smallest imperfections can change the grade).

As joeypost noted, even if you don't do anything at all to the book and just re-submit, the book can come back with a different grade given some inherent subjectivity of the graders (again, especially in the 9.4 - 9.8 range). So add to that the cracking of the slab, the signing, and the shipping (in raw form), unfortunately this does happen.

If you want to CPR (clean-press-resub) to try and get the 9.6 back, to keep the CGC SS yellow label, I believe only CCS can do it. If you use an outside presser, you lose the yellow-label and it becomes green-label qualified "Signature on Cover"... If there are graders notes, take a look and see if they might be pressable and whether it may be worth it.

28 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

If you want to CPR (clean-press-resub) to try and get the 9.6 back, to keep the CGC SS yellow label, I believe only CCS can do it. If you use an outside presser, you lose the yellow-label and it becomes green-label qualified "Signature on Cover"... If there are graders notes, take a look and see if they might be pressable and whether it may be worth it.

There are a few other pressers who can sign off for the yellow label. The CGC doesn't allow promotion of these companies on the board, but a quick Google search should point you in the right direction. 

Thanks alot everyone, i paid for the graders notes since Iam not yet a paid member and the only note was a crease at the top right of the cover. 

Upon extremely close inspection I can almost see something of a bend with no color break. So I will likely send it in for a press. I thought Id get more information from the notes like spine wear or cracks, but if that was the biggest issue in grading then I suppose its worth a shot.

The problem with cracking books is that the signers can lean on the book (even if in a window bag) and can cause slight imperfections dropping it from really high grades. Putting the comic from the slab into a window bag risks handling the book yourself, which can lead to a finger bend, spine stress, or possibly ink smudge/fingerprint unless you're handling it with gloves. Also, the book may have been dropped to cause a small impact ding, thus creating the light crease and no one noticed or cared to admit. You are trusting your books to others, so even with the hope that everything goes right, there is the possibility that someone did something to cause some very minor damage.