• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it an Ashcan or something else?

5 posts in this topic

Found an interesting book at the the LCS, but can't seem to figure out what to call it, and this is making research difficult. 

The book in question is a copy of Evil Ernie (1st Eternity Series), but it looks like a handmade copy stapled together (more like a movie -script than a comic book). The LCS owner says it was a preview sent out to retailers for them to review and decide if they want to carry the books in their shop. 

I wanted to pick it up, but didn't want to spend that much without knowing more about it. Would this be considered an "ashcan" or something else. Having trouble finding any information online.

Thanks for looking!!

Jimbo

I have never heard of an ashcan for the EE#1, Eternity was a pretty small house back in 1991 and didn't throw out a lot of gimmicks, Chaos on the other hand sold their version of 90's ashcans for the new series in 94/95 though.  This sounds more like a local shop story for a "custom" book but the early 90's was something of a wild west with publishers so anything is possible but I would advise a healthy dose of skepticism. 

Pictures would help alot as well as this just sounds like someone cut the binding off and stapled it back together.

13 minutes ago, DougC said:

I have never heard of an ashcan for the EE#1, Eternity was a pretty small house back in 1991 and didn't throw out a lot of gimmicks, Chaos on the other hand sold their version of 90's ashcans for the new series in 94/95 though.  This sounds more like a local shop story for a "custom" book but the early 90's was something of a wild west with publishers so anything is possible but I would advise a healthy dose of skepticism. 

Pictures would help alot as well as this just sounds like someone cut the binding off and stapled it back together.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I did not take any photos. I am a bit skeptical, but I'm not really able to confirm/deny what I am looking at.  That said, I do trust the LCS owner and he would know if this is real or not.

If I can find out anything else I'll post again.