• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay issue and I am seeking some advice
1 1

69 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

good luck and please keep us posted on how it pans out. 

+1 I'm curious if eBay eats this cost or they try and deduct from you.  If the latter I'd be kicking and screaming.  If it shows delivered even without sig confirm I don't know how they can debit you for this.

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

+1 I'm curious if eBay eats this cost or they try and deduct from you.  If the latter I'd be kicking and screaming.  If it shows delivered even without sig confirm I don't know how they can debit you for this.

It is my opinion. If they force me to refund and I am out the item I am done on Ebay. If I can prove the item was "successfully delivered" what else can I do as a seller?

35 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

It is my opinion. If they force me to refund and I am out the item I am done on Ebay. If I can prove the item was "successfully delivered" what else can I do as a seller?

Now you know why a large group of people only ship in their own countries since it seems like theft and you losing out seem to jump up when you ship elsewhere.  But I'd always get signature confirmation on anything over $250.  It does cover your butt if things go wrong.  Even that is not 100% but its pretty good odds you will win if you have signature confirmation.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

Now you know why a large group of people only ship in their own countries since it seems like theft and you losing out seem to jump up when you ship elsewhere.  But I'd always get signature confirmation on anything over $250.  It does cover your butt if things go wrong.  Even that is not 100% but its pretty good odds you will win if you have signature confirmation.

I have requested signature confirmation and had the package insured and still had the shipment get "successfully delivered" but not to the right person. Item is lost even though signed for. And insurance does not help with items that are "successfully delivered".

signature confirmation is another shipping expense that guarantees absolutely nothing.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

I have requested signature confirmation and had the package insured and still had the shipment get "successfully delivered" but not to the right person. Item is lost even though signed for. And insurance does not help with items that are "successfully delivered".

signature confirmation is another shipping expense that guarantees absolutely nothing.

E-Bay didn't find in your favor in that case?  I'd think E-Bay would at least pony up the cash if something like that happened since I'm sure it's fairly rare.

Just now, 1Cool said:

E-Bay didn't find in your favor in that case?  I'd think E-Bay would at least pony up the cash if something like that happened since I'm sure it's fairly rare.

Fairly rare perhaps, but it has happened in 3 of the last 15 things I have shipped. Doesn't seem all that "rare" in my opinion. :(

Just now, Artboy99 said:

Fairly rare perhaps, but it has happened in 3 of the last 15 things I have shipped. Doesn't seem all that "rare" in my opinion. :(

That is insane!  3 out of 15?  I've probably shipped out over 1,000 packages this year and not one has disappeared or was delivered to the wrong person.  Most of my books are in the $10 - $100 range so maybe crooks or issues happen more at the higher values.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

You should read my previous posts. They aren't going to force you to refund. If the buyer sees a refund it will be at the expense of ebay.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

There's also an interesting mini-discussion in the eBay: Blocked user thread related to eBay screwing a seller.  In summary - buyer bought a book ($275), initiated a return, and returned something worthless in place of the original book.  All eBay did was throw up their hands and say "you can't prove it, your loss".  How f'd up is that?

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

There's also an interesting mini-discussion in the eBay: Blocked user thread related to eBay screwing a seller.  In summary - buyer bought a book ($275), initiated a return, and returned something worthless in place of the original book.  All eBay did was throw up their hands and say "you can't prove it, your loss".  How f'd up is that?

There has to be more to the story than that.  You have the auction of what you sent, and can take photos of what was sent back.

At least when I ship something back "not as described", I take photos and explain it to eBay when the seller disputes.

10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

There has to be more to the story than that.  You have the auction of what you sent, and can take photos of what was sent back.

At least when I ship something back "not as described", I take photos and explain it to eBay when the seller disputes.

Playing devil's advocate, eBay can retort with "well sure, that's the item that you listed and SUPPOSEDLY sold, but how do we know that it was actually ever in your possession and actually shipped to that poor, wounded buyer who is just such a nice guy and only wanted what he paid for?" 

Maybe I got a little overdramatic, but it doesn't seem to be too far off from the way eBay practically defaults to protecting the buyer these days.

20 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Playing devil's advocate, eBay can retort with "well sure, that's the item that you listed and SUPPOSEDLY sold, but how do we know that it was actually ever in your possession and actually shipped to that poor, wounded buyer who is just such a nice guy and only wanted what he paid for?" 

Maybe I got a little overdramatic, but it doesn't seem to be too far off from the way eBay practically defaults to protecting the buyer these days.

As a seller I have had that happen to me as well. I sent a 9.4 grade copy of Captain Marvel 33 ( Thanos cover ) that the buyer sent back "condition not as described" and he sent back a fine copy. Switched books.

Just to add some insight into this from a buyers perspective.

USPS has been losing, delivering my letters/packages to the wrong address for over 20 years, ever since the Township told USPS to use street #'s instead  of the name of the apartment complex, there are three complexes in a row all with a similar street address and some use similar apartment #'s.

Packages, Utility Bills, Bank Statements, Checks, etc. have been lost, some utility bills I received two months later with "delivered to wrong address written across the envelope.

Twice I had to close bank accounts because checks/statements were lost in the mail.

(Paperless billing fixed most of the issue but not the eBay package issue)

My apartment # is I-71 but computers print shipping labels with a Capital I that looks like a 1 and will not put the dash in between so it looks like 171 and since the post office does not pay close attention it goes to the wrong address.

When I was lucky I would have the same postal carrier for a year or so and they would get to know me by name so if it was not addressed correctly they still knew where it went, however...

USPS constantly changes carriers and carrier routes so there are always new carriers that do not know you.

I always added a message to all sellers I purchased from on eBay explaining this and asked them to check the label and make address corrections by hand if needed, only about 50% did this...???

The BIGGEST issue is that Delivery Confirmation is practically USELESS, delivery confirmation ONLY shows it "Was Delivered" not "Where It Was Delivered" and all USPS does each time is say "We will have the carrier recheck" or "We will ask the carrier" which 99% of the time results in Nothing.

I corrected the eBay issue by not having ANYTHING shipped to my apartment, all purchases now get sent to my Son's House and I have had no issues since.

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Just to add some insight into this from a buyers perspective.

USPS has been losing, delivering my letters/packages to the wrong address for over 20 years, ever since the Township told USPS to use street #'s instead  of the name of the apartment complex, there are three complexes in a row all with a similar street address and some use similar apartment #'s.

Packages, Utility Bills, Bank Statements, Checks, etc. have been lost, some utility bills I received two months later with "delivered to wrong address written across the envelope.

Twice I had to close bank accounts because checks/statements were lost in the mail.

(Paperless billing fixed most of the issue but not the eBay package issue)

My apartment # is I-71 but computers print shipping labels with a Capital I that looks like a 1 and will not put the dash in between so it looks like 171 and since the post office does not pay close attention it goes to the wrong address.

When I was lucky I would have the same postal carrier for a year or so and they would get to know me by name so if it was not addressed correctly they still knew where it went, however...

USPS constantly changes carriers and carrier routes so there are always new carriers that do not know you.

I always added a message to all sellers I purchased from on eBay explaining this and asked them to check the label and make address corrections by hand if needed, only about 50% did this...???

The BIGGEST issue is that Delivery Confirmation is practically USELESS, delivery confirmation ONLY shows it "Was Delivered" not "Where It Was Delivered" and all USPS does each time is say "We will have the carrier recheck" or "We will ask the carrier" which 99% of the time results in Nothing.

I corrected the eBay issue by not having ANYTHING shipped to my apartment, all purchases now get sent to my Son's House and I have had no issues since.

You had this issue for 20 years and you didn't get a PO Box?

On 11/14/2017 at 6:27 PM, Buzzetta said:

And this is why I am now enrolled in Global Shipping Program.  If I send it to Kentucky for eBay to send it overseas... once eBay has possession of it, it is on them.   From what I recall, Brazil has always been sketchy. 

Just a FYI

The global shipping program repackages items. They take out cardboard and replace it with what ever this is to keep the weight down.

5a0df5590f3c1_ScreenShot2017-11-16at3_29_35PM.png.0c782510e8ec295d43445576741a7dd0.png

Since it was international shipping to Brazil, you probably had the customs declaration on the front indicating that the value was $700. That could have led to that package getting targeted by thieves. Maybe, not saying it was but that is the downside of putting the value of the package on the outside. That is not your fault and I hope eBay sides in your favor. 

I have shipped to Brazil several times without issue and they do track delivery, but the comics I send are usually worth less than the international shipping. 

12 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Nice business model...

What percentage of eBay transactions do you think result in an item being marked delivered without the buyer actually receing the item or with the buyer lying about receiving it? Refunding these buyers is a drop in the bucket for eBay.

20 hours ago, 1Cool said:

You had this issue for 20 years and you didn't get a PO Box?

Why would I want to or why should I have to pay for a PO Box, drive to the post office every week...

Also, a lot of eBay sellers do not ship to PO boxes.

Getting tired just thinking about it, No Thanks.