In over my head, ANY help would be appreciated

20 posts in this topic

ksolicastile   
  • 1 post

I am new at this whole trying to find specific comics thing. Usually I just browse through my local comic and antique shops and pick up anything that interests me. 

I have a boyfriend who is a hardcore Doctor Strange fan. I stumbled upon Strange Tales 110, and I decided that would be the perfect gift for him for Christmas. Now, I have to sidebar here to say, I kind of hate Christmas, but I LOVE buying gifts for the people I care about, and when I get the idea for the perfect gift in my head I get a little obsessive about it. 

I NEVER expected the comic to cost so much. I love the guy, but I am also a single mom who has to buy gifts from myself AND Santa for my school age kid, and I can't afford to spend over $1000 on one gift. Hell, I can't even afford the crappy copies that are like $800. I want one that isn't graded and that he could actually look through. It doesn't have to be nice. I am not looking to make money off of it or find it as some sort of collection or for bragging rights. I just want to find an affordable copy that will be gifted to someone who will truly appreciate it. 

I also want to say, I have looked through every comic and antique store within 50 miles of my city, every online auction and comic store I know of/can find. I looked through Facebook marketplace for every major city within driving distance of me. I searched all of Craigslist. I have looked at the ebay pages for pretty much every single country. I have messaged and made offers to probably 100 people. I have had no luck, and it is becoming a mind-numbingly impossible search. 

I want to give up, but any time I think of having to get something else it just doesn't seem good enough now. Like I said, I get a little crazy about gifts. ANY help anyone can offer me, any tips, tricks, or ideas of places to search would be incredibly helpful. I probably sound like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person since I am not all that knowledgeable on this stuff, so please be nice. Thanks in advance!

revat   
  • 16,010 posts

Sounds like you've put in the work and haven't come up with something in your price range.  I wouldn't be optimistic about getting a copy.

Perhaps consider getting a reprint (as suggested above) and possibly getting a nice framed poster with a print of the cover for Strange Tales 110 and/or some other Dr Strange poster.  "Third Eye" posters are pretty cool, if a bit pricey.

adampasz   

Not sure what your price point is, but there are plenty of other Dr. Strange "keys" that would make a nice present. :)

In particular vol. 1 #169 and vol. 2 #1. You should be able to find "mid-grade" copies of these for under $100.

Total Comic Mayhem has a great multi-part posting that you might find helpful.

http://www.totalcomicmayhem.com/2014/04/doctor-strange-key-issues.html

Edited by adampasz

faster friends   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 12,727 posts

Also there are 4 or 5 copies on eBay in the $1200 price point range with make an offer option. They are slabbed but you can crack them open

comicjack   
  • 12,302 posts
1 hour ago, adampasz said:

Not sure what your price point is, but there are plenty of other Dr. Strange "keys" that would make a nice present. :)

In particular vol. 1 #169 and vol. 2 #1. You should be able to find "mid-grade" copies of these for under $100.

Total Comic Mayhem has a great multi-part posting that you might find helpful.

http://www.totalcomicmayhem.com/2014/04/doctor-strange-key-issues.html

This is second best and very reasonable but not for long so it would be a great gift (thumbsu

DeadOne   
  • 2,651 posts
  • Kudos Thread
1 hour ago, ksolicastile said:

I am new at this whole trying to find specific comics thing. Usually I just browse through my local comic and antique shops and pick up anything that interests me. 

I have a boyfriend who is a hardcore Doctor Strange fan. I stumbled upon Strange Tales 110, and I decided that would be the perfect gift for him for Christmas. Now, I have to sidebar here to say, I kind of hate Christmas, but I LOVE buying gifts for the people I care about, and when I get the idea for the perfect gift in my head I get a little obsessive about it. 

I NEVER expected the comic to cost so much. I love the guy, but I am also a single mom who has to buy gifts from myself AND Santa for my school age kid, and I can't afford to spend over $1000 on one gift. Hell, I can't even afford the crappy copies that are like $800. I want one that isn't graded and that he could actually look through. It doesn't have to be nice. I am not looking to make money off of it or find it as some sort of collection or for bragging rights. I just want to find an affordable copy that will be gifted to someone who will truly appreciate it. 

I also want to say, I have looked through every comic and antique store within 50 miles of my city, every online auction and comic store I know of/can find. I looked through Facebook marketplace for every major city within driving distance of me. I searched all of Craigslist. I have looked at the ebay pages for pretty much every single country. I have messaged and made offers to probably 100 people. I have had no luck, and it is becoming a mind-numbingly impossible search. 

I want to give up, but any time I think of having to get something else it just doesn't seem good enough now. Like I said, I get a little crazy about gifts. ANY help anyone can offer me, any tips, tricks, or ideas of places to search would be incredibly helpful. I probably sound like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person since I am not all that knowledgeable on this stuff, so please be nice. Thanks in advance!

The hopes of finding a budget friendly copy of Strange Tales 110 is probably not going to happen.
I think you need to look for a more practical gift idea. Personally, I think an Omnibus which reprints the first few Doctor Strange stories in a collected, hardback edition would be a great gift idea. If you still had some room in the budget, you could toss in a statue or Toon Tumbler, if he's into that sort of thing.
I've linked a few examples below for reference (not my items)

Doctor Strange Omnibus
Doctor Strange Statue
Doctor Strange Toon Tumbler

punksdropdirtysrh   
  • 775 posts

Batman is my favorite character but realistically I can’t afford his first appearance. But there are thousands of other books i can collect within my budget, and I can still read his first appearance without spending big $$$. Same for Dr. Strange. Don’t get yourself down about it...I would hope this guy would be happy with any gift you get him and wouldn’t want you to break the bank. 

SeniorSurfer   
  • 35 posts
15 hours ago, DeadOne said:

The hopes of finding a budget friendly copy of Strange Tales 110 is probably not going to happen.
I think you need to look for a more practical gift idea. Personally, I think an Omnibus which reprints the first few Doctor Strange stories in a collected, hardback edition would be a great gift idea. If you still had some room in the budget, you could toss in a statue or Toon Tumbler, if he's into that sort of thing.
I've linked a few examples below for reference (not my items)

Doctor Strange Omnibus
Doctor Strange Statue
Doctor Strange Toon Tumbler

Adding to this:  The Doctor Strange Omnibus is very comprehensive (and contains a reprint of that ST #110 you're looking for), but you can also add other Dr. Strange works along with this volume as Barnes & Noble is running a "buy 2, get 1 free" sale for these type of compendiums/collected works/TPB through the end of the year.  Overwhelm with quantity and quality at a fraction of the price.

KirbyJack   
  • 5,713 posts

Find a pretty, mid grade copy of Strange Tales 115. It's the origin of Dr. Strange, has a killer splash page, and is the 2nd most important early Doc key. 

The cheap 110 almost certainly  isn't going to happen.

telerites   
  • 9,526 posts

I like the statue idea if the OP is monitoring her thread but if you really want to make him happy, get some Clea lingerie.  I bet that will put a smile and hex on him.  <3

jimjum12   
  • 23,933 posts
12 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Find a pretty, mid grade copy of Strange Tales 115. It's the origin of Dr. Strange, has a killer splash page, and is the 2nd most important early Doc key. 

The cheap 110 almost certainly  isn't going to happen.

..... this is exactly what I was thinking.......... $ 250 gets a pretty decent copy. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Raze   
  • 1,195 posts
On 11/15/2017 at 7:06 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Adding to this:  The Doctor Strange Omnibus is very comprehensive (and contains a reprint of that ST #110 you're looking for), but you can also add other Dr. Strange works along with this volume as Barnes & Noble is running a "buy 2, get 1 free" sale for these type of compendiums/collected works/TPB through the end of the year.  Overwhelm with quantity and quality at a fraction of the price.

Omnibus is the best way to go because he gets a lot of story and looks pretty on a shelf.

but if your single mom get the omnibus for$50-$100 and spend the other $900 on your kids think of all the toys THEY could have :baiting:

cryptics   
  • 166 posts

Does he have a favorite issue or story arc?  You can find the artist on that arc and see if you can have him/her draw you an original commission.  Not all artists are accepting commissions but worth a try.  You can also look for a page from a favorite issue.  That can get expensive though really depends on what you are looking for

Jaylam   
  • 632 posts

Probably the 3rd most important Dr. Strange book is Strange Tales #126; first appearance of Dormammu and Clea. Nice raw mid-grade copies can usually be had for less than $200. Here's a link to an open auction ending Sunday on ebay. This one looks pretty nice and may be just what you are looking for and hopefully will end at the price point you can afford.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-126-FN-VF-1st-Dormammu-Clea-doctor-Dr/192362632395?hash=item2cc9b4d4cb:g:E4wAAOSwvGZZyFAl

Jaylam   
  • 632 posts
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:01 AM, Jaylam said:

Probably the 3rd most important Dr. Strange book is Strange Tales #126; first appearance of Dormammu and Clea. Nice raw mid-grade copies can usually be had for less than $200. Here's a link to an open auction ending Sunday on ebay. This one looks pretty nice and may be just what you are looking for and hopefully will end at the price point you can afford.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-126-FN-VF-1st-Dormammu-Clea-doctor-Dr/192362632395?hash=item2cc9b4d4cb:g:E4wAAOSwvGZZyFAl

Sold for $72.75. @ksolicastile I hope you were the winner as that went for a very affordable price.