• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Spectre: GA character with most untapped....

16 posts in this topic

Present day commercial potential. If this character was done RIGHT in the DC cinematic universe the film would make a killing. The character should resonate today.  It's just cool as hell, dark, with a power set beyond any character in the DCU. Gotta think it eventually happens.

The Spectre is a natural. Maybe my favorite character of the GA. I have said this for years. So many cool ways it could go. I, of course, prefer the original kind of biblical justice run but the supernatural later version would probably resonate well with today's movie going audiences. Can you imagine the special effects?  The Sandman might not work out quite as well.

Edited by Robot Man

21 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

I look forward to the screen version of the Fleisher / Aparo take on the character. It'd be a celestial, supernatural Death Wish. (:

I like the way he turned bad guys into glass or dust to fit the crime. Wrapping them in his cloak and making them see death was a nice touch as well. Superman was great but having the powers of God just kind of trumps them all. The early Spectre More Funs are some of the best GA had to offer. Great 2 part origin as well.

The Fleisher/Aparo stuff was just too much work...

2 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

... If this character was done RIGHT in the DC cinematic universe the film would make a killing....

...and this book would be worth a fortune...

morefun65.jpg

51 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I like the way he turned bad guys into glass or dust to fit the crime. Wrapping them in his cloak and making them see death was a nice touch as well. Superman was great but having the powers of God just kind of trumps them all. The early Spectre More Funs are some of the best GA had to offer. Great 2 part origin as well.

The Fleisher/Aparo stuff was just too much work...

I'm a fan of the GA version as much as any other iteration. However the Fleisher / Aparo take on the character was one of the first U.S. comics I ever read - that does stay with you.

I agree, but just keep the character away from the main DCU, and no team nonsense as with Justice League Dark. It would be fine to have cameos or references to DCs great roster of supernatural characters, but if it becomes too comic book, it would likely become a fiasco like Suicide Squad.

A mysterious scary film of violent retribution, with the Jim Corrigan character wondering just who has given him the power of supernatural vengeance, and feeling perhaps he is being used for some darker plan after the initial rush of revenge on his killers has worn off could be interesting.

Ya know something? The more I thought about it, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that while many 1940s hero origins could be accused of being too “of its time,” I think there’s probably a fair argument to be made that the Spectre’s origin is too ahead of its time, considering how it invokes concepts such as spirituality, divine intervention, God, and so on and so forth. It can seem pretty simple when one explains it like “a spirit comes back from the dead to avenge someone,” and Siegel himself probably thought of it in basic terms as well, but how he frames the entire thing could still definitely invoke more than what he might have originally intended like I mentioned, and that most writers of the time probably either couldn’t fully wrap their heads around it or flesh it out in such a way that they do it justice. In that respect, he’s probably more at home being better served post-crisis than he ever was pre-crisis.

lSBwOp3.jpg