• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have never seen this variant.

17 posts in this topic

Just now, Kahnadah said:

Aren't they supposed to be quite rare? I dunno...my Google-fu skills are lacking.

I know he FCC guys were always pretty excited about them..I don't know if any of the gang is still around @Define999 ?

Yes that thread should tell you a bunch about these books. THey are not variants but editions. Filipino editions depending on bookstore. That Xmen is a National bookstore book. Very rare, these books are some of the rarest Marvel Bronze/Copper books on the planet. Great book!

6 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Question: are any foreign editions considered bootlegs, or do we prefer the word "variant"?

Seems like three options for foreign editions:

Variants - printed at the same time as the regular (domestic) editions on the same machines

Reprints - printed later than the regular (domestic) editions

Bootlegs - printed without permission of the publisher

Edited by valiantman

7 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Question: are any foreign editions considered bootlegs, or do we prefer the word "variant"?

There are legitimate bootleg foreign comics.  Several countries have released unlicensed comics based on U.S. properties.  There are bootlegs that basically print the U.S. material (maybe in the language of the country it is being printed for) and bootlegs that print new material entirely.  The key being the books are unlicensed.

53 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Seems like three options for foreign editions:

Variants - printed at the same time as the regular (domestic) editions on the same machines

Reprints - printed later than the regular (domestic) editions

Bootlegs - printed without permission of the publisher

These are all very good definitions.  The first printing of the comic in a foreign country (based on the same material in a U.S. comic for example) is not considered a variant or reprint if it is licensed, it is considered a foreign edition.  Obviously, if it is unlicensed, it would be a bootleg.

33 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

The first printing of the comic in a foreign country (based on the same material in a U.S. comic for example) is not considered a variant or reprint if it is licensed, it is considered a foreign edition.  Obviously, if it is unlicensed, it would be a bootleg.

I think there could be some debate on that.

If the foreign edition is released six months after the first printing of the domestic edition, then the foreign edition can be seen as a reprint first, foreign edition second.

Since there are foreign editions which are printed on the same domestic machines at the same time as the domestic editions, they don't need to be lumped in with foreign reprints which come out six months (or six years) later.