• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very different way to sell a colllection.
1 1

86 posts in this topic

A  guy I know from the auction circuit gave me the number of a former shop owner who is piecing out his collection/inventory as he is downsizing .  Had a long phone conversation with him, and we have pretty similar backgrounds as far as comics go. He started reading a year after I did, and while I had a few periods of non-collecting/buying, he had gone straight through. In fact he still reads  new material.

So we have a meet up scheduled for tomorrow. He has about thirty short boxes he definitely  wants to move, and maybe a few better things, as well. 

Here is the thing, though.  

The way he wants to do this is to show me a box, and name a price for it. If I like the price, I buy it and we move to box 2. Each box is a different transaction and when I turn down a box, we are done. He seems surprisingly adamant about that. His way of preventing being cherry picked.  He said after we agree on a number of  the boxes, he'll name a price for everything left. I'm intrigued by the idea.  Very curious to see how it pans out.  He says it totals just under 5,000 books, with at least 20% being SA Marvel, 30% BA Marvel, a decent amount of 12-35 cent DCs, the rest almost all from 78-90. A few early Trade paperbacks- . No Mega Keys in this lot, and he said most of the SA stuff isn't HG.  I'm not really looking for 5,000 books just now, but timing can be everything. 

I agree with Wombat.  For the most part, these sellers really think they have gold in their hands and 99.5% of the time its common dust-collecting drek.

This seller's tactic is a waste of time for both parties.  The best sellers are the ones that can negotiate and think quickly on their feet.  Unfortunately, most 

are dim-witted and can't see all the steps required to be successful from point A to B.

15 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I agree with Wombat.  For the most part, these sellers really think they have gold in their hands and 99.5% of the time its common dust-collecting drek.

This seller's tactic is a waste of time for both parties.  The best sellers are the ones that can negotiate and think quickly on their feet.  Unfortunately, most 

are dim-witted and can't see all the steps required to be successful from point A to B.

....as are the buyers that partake in this silly tactic.

5 minutes ago, TheDarkestKnight said:

This way of thinking on his part could explain why he's a "former" shop owner?(shrug)

lollol

Seller can avoid cherry picking somewhat by not letting you pick out specific comics. Sales could be by the box only.

You should be allowed to look at each box and negotiate a price for it or refuse it and move on to the next box.

Edited by icefires
revise

So if I am reading this correctly, approximately 1/2 of this is modern stuff (78 - 90) that  he probably couldn't sell at his store at any price.

Then there is the other 1/2 (approximately) which is lower grade, non-key, silver age.

The guy says he does not want to be "cherry picked", however, there does not seem to be any cherries to pick. 2c

I hope you are not planning to bring too much cash with you on this one, however, I hope it works out for you.

Of course, there is the chance that maybe he sprinkled enough of the "better" stuff into each box or that he is reasonable on his prices.  I sort of doubt it though.  I guess I can see why he thinks he should do it this way, but I wouldn't bet the farm on walking out with a bunch of boxes.  

Wow - I've heard of tough sellers but this one sounds a bit crazy.  Sounds like he wants to stack the deck in his favor by insisting you are out the door if you disagree on the price of any of the first boxes.  But other then time I guess you really have nothing to lose.  Good luck!

That idea is just cray cray IMO.  I would tell him flat out how ridiculous this is and wish him luck... He might come to his senses once he sits on these for a period of time with his scheme with 0 sales.

If you are really interested just tell him to allow you to look and everything and that you realize it's an all or nothing deal but need to see the collection in it's entirety to make an informed decision.  He obviously has a price in mind so I see no harm in having him just spit that out, let you review and you say yes, no or counter.

There will always be other opportunities that come along with better terms than this nutso proposition.  If you do happen to go, please let us know how it turns out. 

Ridiculous, Sounds like a bad game show where you can only loose.  Hard to imagine any other business setting, be it collectibles or otherwise, where this arrangement could be beneficial to a buyer, or where a seller has any expectation that this tactic will work.

Edited by szavisca

This idea seems fun, but only if you get to choose the boxes randomly not knowing the contents or the price (until you choose it).  Then its like a game show.

If the seller gets to choose the order he shows you the boxes....then I'm out.  But it does seem like there's still an opportunity to buy the rest in 'bulk' at the end.  Did I read that right?

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

A  guy I know from the auction circuit gave me the number of a former shop owner who is piecing out his collection/inventory as he is downsizing .  Had a long phone conversation with him, and we have pretty similar backgrounds as far as comics go. He started reading a year after I did, and while I had a few periods of non-collecting/buying, he had gone straight through. In fact he still reads  new material.

So we have a meet up scheduled for tomorrow. He has about thirty short boxes he definitely  wants to move, and maybe a few better things, as well. 

Here is the thing, though.  

The way he wants to do this is to show me a box, and name a price for it. If I like the price, I buy it and we move to box 2. Each box is a different transaction and when I turn down a box, we are done. He seems surprisingly adamant about that. His way of preventing being cherry picked.  He said after we agree on a number of  the boxes, he'll name a price for everything left. I'm intrigued by the idea.  Very curious to see how it pans out.  He says it totals just under 5,000 books, with at least 20% being SA Marvel, 30% BA Marvel, a decent amount of 12-35 cent DCs, the rest almost all from 78-90. A few early Trade paperbacks- . No Mega Keys in this lot, and he said most of the SA stuff isn't HG.  I'm not really looking for 5,000 books just now, but timing can be everything. 

So if he says $1,000 for the 1st box and you agree - you bought it.  Now the next box is $1,000 but you don't like that box - so you only get box #1.  If you like the price for lets say box #1, #2, #3 and #4 then he may give you a price for everything in boxes 5-20.  I like complicated but that sounds overly complicated even for me.

This seems silly. I can understand if he refuses to break up a box, you buy the whole box or nothing, which would avoid cherry picking, and I even get that he won't negotiate, you buy the box or pass, but to say that once you pass, you no longer have a shot at the rest is a half-assed attempt to get you buy junk at his price before negotiating on the entire load. If it's not too much of a hassle, I could see looking at the first box, and if it interests you at all and is priced to move, play his game, but if it's at a non-bargain price, just tell him thanks, but it doesn't look like it will work out.