• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other Passions Besides Comics?
3 3

106 posts in this topic

Hello All,  

Just a friendly question to get to know what some of our other passions are and where they rank.  For example besides comics my big passion is collecting Baseball memorabilia.  Have a great passion for America's past time and love to read about it, watch it, collect it.  Have a room in my house that's dedicated to it with autograph pics and cards and the like.  In contrast, my comic display is in a corner of the finished basement.  But, collecting comics is overtaking my baseball collecting even though my love for the game hasn't waived (Opening Day is considered a religious holiday with me)>

Have to say it's funny though as I now enjoy collecting comics more than baseball stuff.  Used to love card collecting but got turned off by buying pack after pack and getting doubles, commons and nothing really worth while.  I could spend $100 on a box of cards and get nothing special while that same $100 could buy me a good amount of comics both new and back issues.  At least with the new issues you know what your getting.  A good read and if you collect variants you know what your getting instead of the chase of finding the 25/100 card that you could spend God knows how much.  I feel like my money goes farther with comics than cards/  Anyone else feel the same way?

I'm 34.  I used to be heavy into music.  But over the past 5 or 6 years I've fell out of it pretty hard.  For some reason, I don't really care to find new music or go to shows like I used to.  I think one of the reasons is that around where I am, the only shows I would've gone to are full of "young buck" guys with something to prove.  Most often ends up in some sort of scuffle.  I'm too old for that. 

3 hours ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Hello All,  

Just a friendly question to get to know what some of our other passions are and where they rank.  For example besides comics my big passion is collecting Baseball memorabilia.  Have a great passion for America's past time and love to read about it, watch it, collect it.  Have a room in my house that's dedicated to it with autograph pics and cards and the like.  In contrast, my comic display is in a corner of the finished basement.  But, collecting comics is overtaking my baseball collecting even though my love for the game hasn't waived (Opening Day is considered a religious holiday with me)>

Have to say it's funny though as I now enjoy collecting comics more than baseball stuff.  Used to love card collecting but got turned off by buying pack after pack and getting doubles, commons and nothing really worth while.  I could spend $100 on a box of cards and get nothing special while that same $100 could buy me a good amount of comics both new and back issues.  At least with the new issues you know what your getting.  A good read and if you collect variants you know what your getting instead of the chase of finding the 25/100 card that you could spend God knows how much.  I feel like my money goes farther with comics than cards/  Anyone else feel the same way?

My boys and I were into baseball cards for a few years, as well as a guy from work and I.  We fell out of it mostly due to the over production.  Every year there would be more and more sets, and super premium cards.  It was tough to find where to spend our money.  Now, I will search eBay for auto/game used cards of my favorite players. 

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I'm 53 and been collecting comics nearly my entire life. My other passions are skydiving,  and restoring my 1929 Oakland 3 window business  coupe, which goes very slowly. My wife and I have adopted 2 boys who are now 8 and 4, which makes it tough to pursue certain things. They come first, but every now and again I'm able to seek out a little time for myself.

Wow, good for you. I have thought about that briefly, but we can't wrap ourselves around it enough to commit. 

50 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I can't afford to collect anything anymore, but in the past I've had huge collections of vintage toys (Star Wars, Super Powers, Secret Wars), Atari 2600 systems & games and animation artwork (I was a gallery manager for Warner Brothers).

I was big into action figures for awhile.  Star Trek, Simpsons, Marvel Legends, and others.  As the prices went up, I drifted out. I will probably donate most of my stuff to the local Shriner's hospital when I retire. 

37 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Aside from comics, I collect unopened hockey wax boxes from the 1980's, 70's and earlier. Both O-Pee-Chee and Topps.  So far, for the earlier ones in my collection (before 1978/79, and at the time of this writing) they are all empty boxes.  Even the early empty boxes are pretty darned tough to find, 1960's especially.

For me, it's a ton of fun.  I'm also trying to get a pack of cards from each year and series, too. 

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

I am floored!  Thinking how many Messier, Lemieux,Roy ,  Gretsky etc. Rookies in those boxes.(worship)

Comics first,than 

Sportcards(I have blast collecting rookie cards. Aaron Judge rookie cards were a lot of fun this summer).

Video games(love classics like Metroid and Zelda, while getting into new stuff on PS4/X-BOX 1).

Records(Really having fun discovering 70s punk and 80s heavy metal right now).

I kind of rotate these four hobbies, so I never really get bored with any of them.

Tried other hobbies but these are the four I always stick to. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I'm 34.  I used to be heavy into music.  But over the past 5 or 6 years I've fell out of it pretty hard.  For some reason, I don't really care to find new music or go to shows like I used to.  I think one of the reasons is that around where I am, the only shows I would've gone to are full of "young buck" guys with something to prove.  Most often ends up in some sort of scuffle.  I'm too old for that. 

What in the actual..... I am 39 and still attend Hardcore shows at least 5 times a year, and still "dance"

Music for me...been playing in rock bands, on and off, since the early '80s, but gave up live shows completely in 2011.  Since then, I've done some studio work, recorded lots of demos in my small basement studio, and am currently finishing my first "solo" EP in a professional studio with a local producer and a rotating cast of players.  

So "passion"?  Yes, I suppose. 

Fun?  Not exactly...

:p

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I am floored!  Thinking how many Messier, Lemieux,Roy ,  Gretsky etc. Rookies in those boxes.(worship)

That's awesome.  I try to collect some baseball wax as well.  I have at least one wax pack from Topps from 68-80.  Then a few or there.  Sometimes, I want to open them but I just appreciate the art on the pack and tell myself why do away with the mystery?

5 hours ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Hello All,  

My other passion is seeing the Cubs beat the Brewers :devil:

Seriously though, the Crew is on the upswing.  Hoping I can get Villar for cheap in next year's fantasy drafts and he has a bounce back in 2018!  And I'm 100% with you in regards to opening day, for me it's an automatic vacation day specified for "religious purposes".