• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other Passions Besides Comics?
3 3

106 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

My other passion is seeing the Cubs beat the Brewers :devil:

Seriously though, the Crew is on the upswing.  Hoping I can get Villar for cheap in next year's fantasy drafts and he has a bounce back in 2018!  And I'm 100% with you in regards to opening day, for me it's an automatic vacation day specified for "religious purposes".

Thems fighting words!  Don't worry the Crew will blow it on their own.  They'll probably take Arrieta from you and turn him into the next Jeff Suppan, Kyle Losche, Matt Garza...  In other words, they're grab a pitcher after his prime for big bucks and be stuck with them as they decline for the next 4 years or so.

5 minutes ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Thems fighting words!  Don't worry the Crew will blow it on their own.  They'll probably take Arrieta from you and turn him into the next Jeff Suppan, Kyle Losche, Matt Garza...  In other words, they're grab a pitcher after his prime for big bucks and be stuck with them as they decline for the next 4 years or so.

Matt freakin' Garza...Jim Hendry's feeble attempt to save his job going into 2011.  Great idea to trade Chris Archer (and more) to get useless reinforcements for your 90 loss team...

Is it weird that I'm still bitter about that in 2017?

52 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

My other passion is seeing the Cubs beat the Brewers :devil:

Seriously though, the Crew is on the upswing.  Hoping I can get Villar for cheap in next year's fantasy drafts and he has a bounce back in 2018!  And I'm 100% with you in regards to opening day, for me it's an automatic vacation day specified for "religious purposes".

I was happy to see the Dodgers beat the Cubs... Sadly, we bumped into the Houston Astros. We fought them tough until game 7 when the floor dropped out. I was happy for the Cubs last year and I am happy for the Astros this year. But I am a Dodger fan and just want to see one more before I die...:sorry:

On 11/15/2017 at 5:51 AM, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Hello All,  

Just a friendly question to get to know what some of our other passions are and where they rank.  For example besides comics my big passion is collecting Baseball memorabilia.  Have a great passion for America's past time and love to read about it, watch it, collect it.  Have a room in my house that's dedicated to it with autograph pics and cards and the like.  In contrast, my comic display is in a corner of the finished basement.  But, collecting comics is overtaking my baseball collecting even though my love for the game hasn't waived (Opening Day is considered a religious holiday with me)>

Have to say it's funny though as I now enjoy collecting comics more than baseball stuff.  Used to love card collecting but got turned off by buying pack after pack and getting doubles, commons and nothing really worth while.  I could spend $100 on a box of cards and get nothing special while that same $100 could buy me a good amount of comics both new and back issues.  At least with the new issues you know what your getting.  A good read and if you collect variants you know what your getting instead of the chase of finding the 25/100 card that you could spend God knows how much.  I feel like my money goes farther with comics than cards/  Anyone else feel the same way?

What kind of baseball stuff do you collect? I won't say I actively "collect" it but I run into stuff from time to time. I like the early, non-card stuff. Equipment, early photos, toys, trophies, advertising stuff and the like. The older the better. I have a small box of cards that I have accumulated over the years. I like the pre-war ones mostly for the colors and graphics. 

baseballpinball1.jpg

caramelbbcardlot.jpg

footballsign1.jpg

footballfruitlabel.jpg

dodgers59wsball1.jpg

dodgers59wsball2.jpg

dodgers59wsball3.jpg

dodgers59wsball4.jpg

dodgers59wsball5.jpg

baseballgame.jpg

boxingtoy.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Bourbon! :x  I have some harder-to-find bottles in my collection that I tell myself I will never open (Maybe on my boys' 21st birthdays? My daughter's wedding day?), but I do drink most of the bottles I buy.  

I guess there's a bit of a similarity to my comic collection:  I have some books I will never open (CGC slabbed books), but the vast majority of my collection I can crack open and enjoy after a long day at work :tink:

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

I collect debt, as spending comes fairly easy to my wife and kids. 

Aside from that I just started collecting OA

Ooooooooh, that can get expensive.  I have a bunch of lesser valued pages but it's harder and harder to keep the purchase prices down. 

I don't really collect sportscards any more, but I do still have a few cards in my closet.  These are the most notable keys in my small pile of Patriots cards.  Thinking of finally selling off if the Pats make it to another Super Bowl this year.

brady_rc.jpg

Edited by Brian48
typing mistake.

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

i have always had a passion for this too and i average $1.50 and hour :flipbait:!!!!! 

Image result for metal detector

I did that for a while as I live across the street from a school and near a lake.... Found an unopened con*om tin from the 1930's at the lake and then gave it up hahaha. I did find a "tootsie" toy school bus car in my front yard, that and some change and a 1916 penny is all I really found :) 

I play the guitar, some video games though not much.

I collected Baseball cards in the late 80's early 90's, s o I have rookies of steroid users. I had Nolan Ryan's rookie in 5.0 BVG but sold it last year for Christmas presents. The only baseball card I have that I still enjoy is a "good" condition 1958 Mickey Mantle "All Stars"

I collect the toys that I had as a kid, I've been done for awhile,  Big Jim, GI Joe Adventure Team, Slot Cars for the most part. Old Christmas morning pictures were the key.  For hours of fun go to youtube and and watch old Christmas morning films that users have posted.  The old toys under those trees!!!!!!!!!!!!   Great stuff.

22 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

I collect the toys that I had as a kid, I've been done for awhile,  Big Jim, GI Joe Adventure Team, Slot Cars for the most part. Old Christmas morning pictures were the key.  For hours of fun go to youtube and and watch old Christmas morning films that users have posted.  The old toys under those trees!!!!!!!!!!!!   Great stuff.

I collect vintage photos like that. Photos of kids reading comics, newstands, amusement parks, sports and kids with their Christmas toys all spread out in front of the tree. Many other subjects as well. Wonderful images.

When people find out I am a "junk dealer" they think it is easy and ask how I do it. Takes YEARS to know is what I say. I do say that a great way to make some dough is to buy old photos at estate sales, garage sales and flea markets. It is a bit of work and you don't aways score but it isn't hard. Look not for photos of people but "situations. old cars, motorcycles, airplanes, Holidays, sports, amusement parks that are no longer there, interesting images ect. They are usually one of a kind and the better the image, the more it will sell for.

Best find...a large panoramic view of the 1937 Pittsburg Pirates at spring training. When I rolled it out, it was autographed by everyone on the team. Including one of the first 5 inductees to the BB HOF, Honus Wagner as a coach! A total surprise. The seller had no idea...

I have quite a few collections going.as a teenager in the 80s and a total toys r us kid I've collected a lot toys.

in the 70s star wars was the it toy.I had every figure and multiples of some and of course plenty of the vehicles and playsets.then gijoe came out.I have a nearly complete Joe collection(82-94) every figure and almost every vehicle(yes a Flagg,defiant and terrordrome).Then the 25th ann.came out and i went all in.i have tons of them.I used to have pretty big collections of transformers,heman,super powers,marvel and many others also,but as time goes on a lot of it was lost,left or sold for other hobby money.another big collection is hot wheels and other diecast companies.im a big muscle car collector and have a weakness for all the limited chase cars that are made.

Video games-been into them since pong,so I have a lot of game systems and games all way to the ps4(not a Xbox fan tho) and then there's music.I was into nearly all metal in the 80s and 90s.i have tons of tapes,records and CDs.got heavily into getting demos from a lot of underground bands mostly death metal.there's more if you can believe it and comics was going on during all that.yes Im an only child forgive me.

6 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Aside from comics, I collect unopened hockey wax boxes from the 1980's, 70's and earlier. Both O-Pee-Chee and Topps.  So far, for the earlier ones in my collection (before 1978/79, and at the time of this writing) they are all empty boxes.  Even the early empty boxes are pretty darned tough to find, 1960's especially.

For me, it's a ton of fun.  I'm also trying to get a pack of cards from each year and series, too. 

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

If my brother Eddy saw your post he might up a leave his wife and propose to you Andy. 

Travel - driving around Australia in January for 10 weeks so I'm looking forward to that, will be following that up with a USA holiday sometime next year for 6 weeks, apart from site seeing in the USA, I will be looking up comic shops,flea markets,thrift shops and every place I can find a good book at a good price

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

Golf is my first hobby and it is the greatest because you kill four birds with one stone...

with golf you get nature,  exercise , competition and friendship all in one great sport !!!

You forgot frustration.

Up until a few weeks ago, actually, I was a touring musician in a doom metal band. We were around for 10 years and played with High on Fire, The Sword, Weedeater, Kylesa, Jucifer, and all sorts of other badass bands. I won't name my band publicly because I don't want this to come off as self-promotion. But if you're curious you could always PM. We're definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but we would hope that fans of the aforementioned bands would enjoy us. We dropped a few records. I enjoyed my time. 

Anyway, I've been a drummer for almost 30 years now. I've been in many musical projects and a handful of bands. I also play the guitar and piano. If I had my druthers, I'd live in the recording studio. There is nothing that I enjoy more than making music. Playing in front of wild crowds was also a rush.

I'm also an audiophile and music lover. I enjoy music of every sort.

I'm also a writer. I'm a lifelong student of English Literature. I spend almost all of my spare time reading something.

Also, at one point, I really enjoyed Amateur Radio. I got an Advanced Class operator's license from the FCC. My station call-sign was KE4FWM, now expired. As a teenager, I would build massive antennae arrays and would huddle behind my tube-powered transmitter with a key and talk to people around the world using Morse Code. Once I discovered women and was old enough to drive a car, all the innocent fun (and comic collecting) took a backseat to getting laid, which brings me to my next favorite hobby...

isn't it everyone's? lol

I'm also into college basketball and MMA. I used to train before a catastrophic knee injury.

I am also crazy about cars. I'm not brand loyal. I love it all. I used to drive a 4th gen Camaro with some modifications, and my father and I have been (very slowly) restoring a second gen Camaro.

Comics have been my main collecting passion. I started with coins when I was in elementary school. By middle school I found myself in the giant comic hype of the early 90s and that's what got me hooked. My favorite Christmas present of all time was a X-Men 16 in good condition. I was hooked. Once again, by high school the fun had taken a back seat (pardon the pun) to other pursuits.

A friend told me about third party grading many years ago and I sent some of my original collection off for the treatment. I've been hooked again ever since.

Oh yeah, and I love the mountains...I love hiking to some hidden Alpine lake. Love stargazing and general astronomy as well.

Edited by newshane