• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RUSS COCHRAN'S COMIC ART AUCTION ending 30 November 2017

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I've consigned five items to this month's Russ Cochran Comic Art Auction ending Thursday 30 November 2017.

Russ started me off collecting OA back in 1982, which has made me a lot of money on re-sale over the years, so I figured I owed him the opportunity to auction-off some of my spare originals.

http://russcochranauction.auctionanything.com/

Edited by The Voord

Frank Hampson
MODESTY BLAISE
c. 1962
Original Daily Strip Art

"In 1962 Beaverbrook newspapers asked Peter O'Donnell to suggest a new strip idea. He thought long and hard and came up with MODESTY BLAISE. Kennedy Aitken, who was Beaverbrook's Strip Cartoons Editor, suggested they should invite Frank Hampson (creator of DAN DARE) to interpret O'Donnell's -script.

Hampson accepted the offer, but took many weeks to return his strip, giving no reason for the delay. O'Donnell was dismayed at the eventual sequence of dailies, feeling Hampson had, "totally misunderstood the character" and suggested his former partner Jim Holdaway be given the strip to illustrate. O'Donnell and Holdaway had worked together very successfully on a previous newspaper strip, ROMEO BROWN.

Of Hampson's tryout dailies, which pre-date Holdaway's published strips for the very first adventure, eight have survived. The consignor of this daily owned all eight at one time. This one tryout daily he kept was, to his mind, the best example - and the only one to exist as pure pencils. Of the remaining seven surviving examples, Hampson part-inked those (possibly used for practicing on in later years).

This daily strip is the earliest MODESTY BLAISE to exist exactly as it was originally illustrated and presented to Beaverbrook newspapers for consideration. Art arfea size is about 18" x 5" and the artwork is in excellent condition."

Modesty.jpg