• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superiors are Superior - so post 'em!
2 2

141 posts in this topic

On 2017-11-15 at 5:58 PM, MrBedrock said:

Sqeggs asked "Are they Canadian or are they American?" I'm not sure, but they are darn cool...

brendastarr8.jpg

Huh... always assumed they were Canadians.

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

oursecret04.jpg

That cover is so wrong in 2017 in so many ways...creeper...predator...assault...forced sex slave...all with a judicial officer as a accessory.

Maybe these should be called the sexual predator era comics. lol

Good old Superior! The last FECA comic creator before the industry collapse. They held on until 1954. For nearly 15 years afterwards, the only comics published in English Canada were giveaways from Ganes and McCarron.

The company was one of the most important pulp creators during WECA, but what few collectors realize is that Superior also dabbled in digest sized comic/joke books. Titles included: "Halt," "Army Gags," "Whiz Bang," "Brevities," "Fun Parade," "La Paree" and "Zippy Stories." There may have been others. These comic digests are all WECA, being first published c. 1941. There's not much info about them and even the great Ivan Kocmarek hasn't profiled them on Comic Book Daily (with only one short reference that I could find in this article from 2013):

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/whites-tsunami-weca-splashes/post-weca-century-publications/

I have managed to purchase two of these rare digests since I started collecting a few years ago. Just to be clear, I'm not interested in selling.

Army Gags Vol. 2, # 6 (September, 1943)

5a1a02b61995f_ArmyGags2.thumb.jpg.b2922b99168e8ca89b169ca614a77109.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness on the left. The cover is quite rippled.

Whiz Bang Vol. 3, # 2 (February, 1943):

5a1a03224ce36_WhizBangVol_32.thumb.jpg.7df2be58f2556464f42ef3b24f74d210.jpg

Whiz Bang Back Cover:

5a1a034b8f0f0_WhizBangVol.32(BacCover).thumb.jpg.55d8960f260049be86cca7305e878c31.jpg

On 11/15/2017 at 9:21 PM, sagii said:

Thanks for sharing what you do have available. They had a unique 'House style' layout on their Romance and Horror covers

I thought of you and Richard when I was about to post this.I can't believe I have one he doesn't lol (I don't think.)

@Microbia I'm glad you bent my rubber arm on this.Besides the little bit of fragile it's very pretty :cloud9:

eRvVN90.jpg?1

And the interiors! :cloud9::cloud9:

pMJfYjB.jpg?1

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

I thought of you and Richard when I was about to post this.I can't believe I have one he doesn't lol (I don't think.)

@Microbia I'm glad you bent my rubber arm on this.Besides the little bit of fragile it's very pretty :cloud9:

eRvVN90.jpg?1

And the interiors! :cloud9::cloud9:

pMJfYjB.jpg?1

SWEET Jimmers! What a splash page!:applause: