• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Q3 Financial Report Raises “Substantial Doubt” About Ability To Continue
2 2

25 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

What is the 1st Chicago / Rosemont show you ever visited?

Mine was in 2007 and the difference in depth of inventory between then and now is staggering. You could shop for 4 days straight back then and not see everything.

This show is now a shadow of what it used to be, even a few years ago.

Where are those books now? Are people sitting on them? Are they just being sold online?

9 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Where are those books now? Are people sitting on them? Are they just being sold online?

That would be my thought. 

Wizard World in Portland, Oregon the first year was a really good show.  I set up there and crushed it.  Did well the following year too.  I set up there last January and I was one of 5 comic book dealers.  There were more guys selling beef jerky than there were comic book dealers - no joke.  A lot of empty booths including one directly behind me.  I asked if I could occupy the empty booth to fill up space and was told that would be "a 100% no."  This after WW was offering people in the area free booths.  When I brought that up I got a line of BS that free space was being offered to their media partners.

There were around 20 empty booths, Artist Alley had multiple empty spots, they were handing out the program from the 2016 show, the guests were terrible (Kato Kaelin of OJ infamy was greeting people as they came in), and I could go on.

I did very well at that show despite the problems, but nobody else seemed to.  That empty booth next to me?  People started throwing their garbage in it and I joked with another exhibitor about how many raccoons and rats we'd be seeing rummaging through the trash.  I told the management about the garbage and they did nothing.

People went on the WW Facebook page and absolutely mess all over the show, going so far as going to the personal Facebook page of the owner to complain.  Yet, this coming April, WW is coming back to Portland and they have Jason Momoa as a guest.  hm