• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A "collector" in a world of investors
4 4

72 posts in this topic

This is one item I would take over a lot of comic books simply love it!! I would have it framed or displayed like a museum piece. And now back to comic books.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1915-babe-ruth-andamp-father-at-ruth-s-cafe-original-photograph-psa-dna-type-1/a/7200-81773.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by SC22

4 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is a great way to get likes and pats on the back, but I have to respectfully disagree. This is just another lame thread in that long, unproductive battle of the "us vs. them" that seems to be so hip around here (look at all the praise already pouring in). Everyone has to be classified and divided into some sort of easily-digestible category so it can be decided whether they are "real" fans or to be called out as superficial, false collectors, don't they? It's just that black and white.

I'm sorry, but it's just so tired and disingenuous. You're on a board for graded comics, what else do you expect? Go over to ComicBookResources and you will find a very enthusiastic crowd, also comic collectors, that will debate to the ends of the earth the most minuscule plot points in some Booster Gold issue from 30 years ago. Go look at the thread in CG where two comic collectors from different generations meet and can't relate to each other on even the most basic levels. It's okay, they're still both fans! By your own example, how do you think it would be if someone came on here to broadcast their excitement because they randomly bought a Spider-Man book from a few years back and found out it was now worth $30-40, only to be tarred and feathered for trying to enjoy their good fortune? Pretty bad, probably, but that's still a relevant and fun part of the excitement of being a collector: When something you bought for yourself turns out to be worth something to other people. It's a cool feeling and people shouldn't be shamed into feeling bad for wanting to buy/well/trade comics. 

There's enough seriously enough comics and enough diversity of fans, real or fake, to make the world go 'round. Just 'cause your way is your way, doesn't mean everyone has to conform to it. Chill out with the "circle the wagons so we can fight off the invaders" mentality. We're all real people here and we all like freaking comics.

The best of both worlds!! Been able to enjoy a hobby for more than 1 reason!!

Edited by SC22

2 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

All very good points here. I read and collected since a child. 1st comic was Hulk 340 because the cover.

I stopped collecting many years but investing has brought me back to collecting. I try to get what I think is a sound long-term investment in good grade. Some I sell...some I keep and put on my wall.

I just love the medium and am so excited about its revival even if most of it is superficial.

Geek for life!

I feel I am in a similar category - basically learned to read with comics in 80s and read / collected heavy to the 90s - got out for a bit but honestly , the movies brought me back - the ability to finally see stories on the screen from my childhood comic adventures was fascinating - I’m still working on full runs and will never have enough “ keys” - I dabble in selling / trading - but much more of a collector 

26 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is a great way to get likes and pats on the back, but I have to respectfully disagree. This is just another lame thread in that long, unproductive battle of the "us vs. them" that seems to be so hip around here (look at all the praise already pouring in). Everyone has to be classified and divided into some sort of easily-digestible category so it can be decided whether they are "real" fans or to be called out as superficial, false collectors, don't they? It's just that black and white.

I'm sorry, but it's just so tired and disingenuous. You're on a board for graded comics, what else do you expect? Go over to ComicBookResources and you will find a very enthusiastic crowd, also comic collectors, that will debate to the ends of the earth the most minuscule plot points in some Booster Gold issue from 30 years ago. Go look at the thread in CG where two comic collectors from different generations meet and can't relate to each other on even the most basic levels. It's okay, they're still both fans! By your own example, how do you think it would be if someone came on here to broadcast their excitement because they randomly bought a Spider-Man book from a few years back and found out it was now worth $30-40, only to be tarred and feathered for trying to enjoy their good fortune? Pretty bad, probably, but that's still a relevant and fun part of the excitement of being a collector: When something you bought for yourself turns out to be worth something to other people. It's a cool feeling and people shouldn't be shamed into feeling bad for wanting to buy/well/trade comics. 

There's enough seriously enough comics and enough diversity of fans, real or fake, to make the world go 'round. Just 'cause your way is your way, doesn't mean everyone has to conform to it. Chill out with the "circle the wagons so we can fight off the invaders" mentality. We're all real people here and we all like freaking comics.

It's like been able to enjoy anything else in life for more than one single reason. It's like saying you don't really love your husband since you love him for his money....but guess what she may love you for multiple things and that includes financial security (I see nothing wrong with that) and in the end she is a good partner.  Just makes sens to me. But here people don't know us they know what we talk about and if it leans towards money then that is what they label us for. But you can't blame them that is all they know us for.

And as far as grading companies go well guess what I love my books soooo much that I want them protected inside their holder it gives me piece of mind when my OCD strikes (and it will strike....always has and always will)!! Do I prefer CGC yes why because they are #1 in the hobby so why not protect my ''loved ones'' with the best option. Just like the best home security system to protect your loved ones....only makes sens. I even put my CGC slabs inside Pro slabs that is how much I care for them. For me to have them non graded is not a possibility simple as that. That is my way of loving my books!!

Some love their books raw that is cool with me they are not my books so if that is how you love them then so be it. And some don't feel the need to have a home security system and again it's not my home so protect the way you feel is good for you and yours.

Edited by SC22

I got back into collecting this year and the amount of money talk and hyping here has soured me a little, but the board's also opened my eyes to things I like that I wouldn't have considered before. I also am in the middle of resolving a problem with an auction house over what is likely a tampered slab, which unfortunately is currently the most expensive book I have. It sounds like they're probably going to do the right thing, but either way it goes to show money can turn a hobby of enjoyment into something else. Between that problem and having more time and experience to know what I really want and value, I think I'm going to get rid of all but a few of the slabbed keys I bought and slow down on buying pricier (to me) books. I'm not quitting the hobby, but definitely changing focus to other parts of it.

Edited by Greenlake

1 hour ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I feel I am in a similar category - basically learned to read with comics in 80s and read / collected heavy to the 90s - got out for a bit but honestly , the movies brought me back - the ability to finally see stories on the screen from my childhood comic adventures was fascinating - I’m still working on full runs and will never have enough “ keys” - I dabble in selling / trading - but much more of a collector 

On a lighter note than the threads been going...

Yea I literally learned how to read in the 80's with comics. I mean yea I learned the basics in school but my first stories were comics. I was literally pronouncing "puny" as "pun-e" reading the Thing!

I don't knock investors, flippers, collectors, readers, blah blah blah. Whatever the reason? It's healthy for the industry and the hobby.

I actually think this is a good thread. That's what it's all about...opinions, feelings, and thoughts. There's no rite or wrong.

Edited by Obi-Wan
Typos

5 hours ago, grebal said:

Good first post; yes, the famous tulip bulb crash was raised in at least half the many conversations invariably including predictions of an impending 'baby boom crash' that I've read in the 20 months I've been reading the CGC boards.

You probably ought to avoid the Silver forum, particularly the "club" threads, that epitomize your main peeve - some (like myself) will contribute their meagre (lower grade) entry into the 'club', but the vast majority of replies either serve as a support group for owners of high grade copies that use the thread as a kind of check-ticker-symbol substitute, or proud owners of higher grade copies rightly sharing their admirable books with like-minded fans.

Here's 'ol Grebal:  factual, level headed and even handed.  You must be a riot at parties. 

Edited by NoMan

10 hours ago, John Stark said:

Part of me suspects, though, that once Baby Boomers start dying off and their kids don't know what to do with those boxes and boxes of dad's old comic books (and there is no room for them in their tiny houses), they will be a glut in the market and the value will fall through. 

That, John Stark, is one articulate inaugural post that hits home on several key points. Bravo.

My favorite line is the parenthetical and perfectly snide remark about the next generation and their tiny houses!

Since this appears to be your singular post - but having recently edited - perhaps you post here under a pseudonym and let this stand as a sort of "drop the mic" moment??

5 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Methinks you're over reacting. I don't see any wagons circling or invaders.

I am a "collector" and have been "collecting" since 1979 which began as getting back the books I had in the early to mid 60's.

I could care less about this or that artist/writer, how many where printed, do not really care about the movies or anything related to the movies, I only care about completing my runs and filling my "collection".

I do not care what they are worth, only my family cares about that because they will be "stuck" with them after I am gone.

They are insured should something happen.

I have completed most of my Silver Age runs and moved to Golden Age Marvel Horror/Westerns and a lot of my "older/early issues" are lower grade (.5 - 2.0) and I am proud to own them and have them as part of my collection.

7 hours ago, PopKulture said:

That, John Stark, is one articulate inaugural post that hits home on several key points. Bravo.

My favorite line is the parenthetical and perfectly snide remark about the next generation and their tiny houses!

Since this appears to be your singular post - but having recently edited - perhaps you post here under a pseudonym and let this stand as a sort of "drop the mic" moment??

It is my first post since the new system (I don't know how long that has been).  I'm not sure why my full name shows up now, but historically, I was "Gopher John" and was a regular poster probably from 2006-2013 or so. 

We all have things that get on our nerves.  I wrote about the thing that has bothered me about this forum for years, and it was a little cathartic.  Martin Sinescu makes a good point... this is a forum tied to slabbed comics, so the participants will be more likely to view comics a little differently than someone who likes to look at the interior and kind of likes it if some little kid from 1957 wrote his name on the cover.

Maybe there is a different forum that's for me.  Martin suggested ComicBookResources, which I was not familiar with - but looked up this morning.  They don't seem to have pages dedicated to golden or silver age, but it might be worth my perusing around.  There were old fanzines, such as "The Golden Age of Comics" that I used to love, they had stories and discussions and never broached the topic of values.  I am assuming that there are some blogs out there that do the same (but they are monologues rather than conversations).  If anyone has any suggestions for forums that are more specifically geared to golden and silver age collectors, please let me know.

Sorry if I offended anyone, it was just my opinion... and we all have 'em.

I believe I could write an essay on this topic, having been both an investor (mostly in stocks) and a collector (mostly in comics and sports cards/memorabilia) both for about 40 years.  I'm now a hybrid collector/investor when it comes to comics.  As my collection has grown over the years the value of it has forced me to treat my collection as an investment, or else sell down my comics and put the money into more traditional financial investment vehicles.  So i'm basically now a long term comic collector/investor.  I want to pass my collection on 40+ years down the road, and I believe that it will be worth more then than it is now.   

Make sure to separate 'investors' from 'speculators', they are not always the same.  Speculators pop up in ALL hot markets.  As the market cools down most speculators are 'washed out', hopefully leaving added investors to stay.  

It is a great thing that more people are coming into this hobby/passion/whatever it is for you.  I hope they all can find the joy in it that I have.  Let's make sure we educate newcomers and welcome them (AND MOST ALL OF YOU GUYS HERE ARE GREAT AT THAT, THANKS!).  

cheers,

TW

5 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I am a "collector" and have been "collecting" since 1979 which began as getting back the books I had in the early to mid 60's.

I could care less about this or that artist/writer, how many where printed, do not really care about the movies or anything related to the movies, I only care about completing my runs and filling my "collection".

I do not care what they are worth, only my family cares about that because they will be "stuck" with them after I am gone.

They are insured should something happen.

I have completed most of my Silver Age runs and moved to Golden Age Marvel Horror/Westerns and a lot of my "older/early issues" are lower grade (.5 - 2.0) and I am proud to own them and have them as part of my collection.

What do you use to insure?

@John Stark Maybe check out the classic comics boards for older stuff. CBR is more skewed towards maybe late 80's to current day, but still a very knowledgable and creative crowd overall. They've turned me on to tons of modern stuff that I wouldn't have given a second thought, or even a first one, normally. I don't visit the classic comics boards as frequently and typically only scan through for silver and bronze age topics, but I bet you will be able to find some stuff there that interests you. The threads where one poster will do a read-through for an entire series with issue-by-issue critiques is almost always good reading. Even here I think you will get a decent amount of satisfaction from the Golden section versus Modern which can, at times, be very trying. Bit of a different crowd and topics in each.

My broader point, too, is that this community overall could be a little more open-minded as to what brought us all together instead of trying to segregate people as readers, collectors, investors, speculators, flippers, etc. Sometimes it gets very witch-hunty around here and there's shaming pile-ons. That stuff has its place, sure, when people are ripping others off, spreading deliberate misinformation, etc. but I don't like to see a particular style of collector branded with a scarlet letter just because their motives don't seem as "pure" as others.