• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1 Club
1 1

162 posts in this topic

If you're a "Marvel Zombie", a Timely collector or just a fan in general of the history of comic books, Marvel Comics #1 stands tall as one of the most important books ever published.

It has everything from the birth of the Marvel Universe, multiple first appearances, multiple origins, a classic cover and a storied history as one of the most sought after books in our hobby.

Earlier this month, I acquired my first ever copy. So, let's kick off the start of the "Marvel Comics #1 Club."

IMG_8194.PNG

5 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If you're a "Marvel Zombie", a Timely collector or just a fan in general of the history of comic books, Marvel Comics #1 stands tall as one of the most important books ever published.

It has everything from the birth of the Marvel Universe, multiple first appearances, multiple origins, a classic cover and a storied history as one of the most sought after books in our hobby.

Earlier this month, I acquired my first ever copy. So, let's kick off the start of the "Marvel Comics #1 Club."

IMG_8194.PNG

only pic I have is in my sig line (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, piper said:

If I sold off my entire collection and could only have one book, Marvel Comics No. 1 would be it!

That said, how much are extensively restored copies going for? :fear:

It's tough to tell. Copies don't come up that often. Off the top of my head, I'd guess 30K+ depending on the copy/grade.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

IMG_8194.PNG

Wow!  Congrats on the pickup of MC #!!!

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif.8137836a358faeb5056dbc911ab1003e.gif

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Precisely. And a bit underappreciated at the moment. Congrats on your pick-up.

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Precisely. And a bit underappreciated at the moment. Congrats on your pick-up.

For as much as this book has picked up steam recently, it's still easily one of the most underrated books in the hobby. The differential in content vs. appreciation is staggering.

Slowly in recent years, we've seen collectors begin to open their eyes as keys of yesteryear continue to become more and more desirable, which makes sense. There was a lot of thought and depth behind why certain books were so strongly sought after in the first place.

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

:headbang:  Congrats dude !  Didn't know you were eyeing one! 

Thanks! I've owned in some form or fashion, complete copies/coverless/covers/wraps/pages from many of the top Golden Age books:

Action Comics #1

Superman #1

Batman #1

Captain America Comics #1

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

All-Star Comics #8

Action Comics #7

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #38

All-Star Comics #3

etc.

But I'm not sure anything has quite compared to holding a Marvel Comics #1.

11 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

IMG_8194.PNG

Nice PQ and nicely cut too.

I get sick every time I see this book. Back in 1986, I had a customer who wanted one and asked me to find it for him. Instead of simply taking a finders fee, I bought a book from Fantasia and sold it to him.  Knowing what we now know of Fantasia, I assume the book had restored disclosure and I unknowingly sold a big ticket item for far more than it was worth.