• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPS, FedEx, or USPS...Who beats your stuff to shreds the worst?
1 1

59 posts in this topic

All equal. I only use USPS for comics because it's the cheapest. But I get packages from all for work. They all use the same sorting techniques and that's usually where things get mangled.

If you get something bent in your mailbox it's usually because the postal carrier has that option. Meaning it had poor packaging.

USPS is the worst for me.  Mangled packages, lost packages, signature confirmation packages left on my porch without a signature, soaking wet packages that were left out in the rain, etc.  Once when trying to locate a signature confirmation package they lost at the local USPS station, the manager told me that it wasn't his job to place the package in my hands.  I told him that signature confirmation means exactly that.  I sign for the package in your presence and then you place it in my hands.

21 hours ago, kthuluu said:

USPS is the worst for me.  Mangled packages, lost packages, signature confirmation packages left on my porch without a signature, soaking wet packages that were left out in the rain, etc.  Once when trying to locate a signature confirmation package they lost at the local USPS station, the manager told me that it wasn't his job to place the package in my hands.  I told him that signature confirmation means exactly that.  I sign for the package in your presence and then you place it in my hands.

Haha, wow!

USPS in the last year severely damaged about 6 packages of comics. The biggest issue  I'm seeing are dented corners that hit so hard that it even crushes the cardboard sandwich boards.  One was a nice Ultimate Spider-man Run that the box looked like it had rolled around the back of the truck and every corner of the box was mangled. It was only because the seller did a good job of packaging that about 20 books were damaged and not the whole lot. Also had a package that was folded in half with "Do Not Bend" written all over it. 

1 hour ago, John Campbell said:

Great job of the crossing guards coming down 1 MINUTE LATER! Wow!

I wondered if anyone would notice that. What gets me is how did the police officer that caught this video know to stop before the train went through?

On 11/17/2017 at 11:11 PM, comicquant said:

I've never had any problems with FedEx or UPS but I don't use them as often.  I've started to use FedEx a bit more and I've never had a box with so much as a dent.  USPS however, I've had some boxes arrive where I've just scratched my head while trying to figure out how it happened.  The worst USPS story is the time I received a medium flat rate box wrapped in probably 200 feet of saran wrap with an official letter within the layers stating the box had "been submerged in water for several days".  No course of action, but just an explanation of why the packaged looked like a wet kleenex.  Somehow, the ten raw books inside were completely unharmed.

Takes a superior delivery company to submerge a package for days and not harm the comics.  USPS rules......  Plus you get 200 ft of free saran wrap and a love letter....

1 hour ago, Comicdey said:

It’s rare but

7E4A9FC2-E690-472D-84B3-60FB928C9FED.jpeg

That reminds me of a time when I sold someone some comics.  He forgot about it and finally asked if I'd shipped.  It turns out it had been sitting on his front porch for two weeks in the rain, but I always do an extra rain-proof wrap inside, so everything was fine.

Just now, TheFifthHorseman said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

turns out it had been sitting on his front porch for two weeks in the rain

Not a very observant one, was he?

There was some context to that - I think a kid or his wife had set some lawn stuff on top of it.

Stuff happens like that.  Which is why I always do the extra wrap in plastic...., just in case.

I've had damaged packages from USPS, UPS, and FedEx. I don't think I've ever received a package from DHL though. I think it comes down to the workers that come in contact with your package. I've had USPS poster tubes crushed. But the shippers could have used the stronger tube. I've had that paper bubblewrap type packing look like it was stabbed and books were cut. But the shippers should have used a box. And I've had packages look like liquids were spilled on them.

UPS chucks and runs. They beat the krap out of things.

FedeX either leaves a notice and makes it a real pain to pick up the package or again leaves it out in the open and runs. They are the worst at keeping things in decent shape.

USPS holds my mail when requested, is really easy to pick-up when it is at the P.O. and handles the packages the best.

It's not even close. I have refused deals when the option of USPS is not available.

I have a certain fondness for FedEx for a different reason though.

I was once sent a job offer and sign-on bonus that was time sensitive. fedEx f'd it up and it took 3 days.

It was all right there in the tracking, so I had the documentation the over-night failed.

In the meantime another offer came in that was better.

I was able to back out of the first offer without fault on me because the offer arrived late.

The recruiter was pizzed at FedEx.

Had no problems with USPS for years right up until September...started receiving a bunch of shipments that were arriving with corner damage to raw books.  Have had 2 recent talks with the supervisor complete with pics of the damaged packaging I've been getting, so they're aware and hopefully things will start improving.  Turns out there had been some local personnel changes around that timeframe, so someone new is throwing things around.   

FedEx is typically fine....usually get ComicLink wins from them.  Although one time a few years ago I had a package track to a distribution center and then not move for days.  I was about to call FedEx when I got a call from the state police saying they found a box laying by the side of the interstate with my name on it.  It was about an hour drive away so I went down there to get it the next weekend.  I was told I'd might want to keep the package in the trunk when driving home because it had been locked up in the evidence locker with all the ganja for awhile  lol

Well, it's certainly impossible to have these shipping companies to be 100% free of any damage of some sort.  Every one of them has had numerous packages go  missing, damaged, delivered to the wrong place, etc.  Chances are, there is a high enough % that your package will arrive safely to the recipient if packaged properly of course.

But anyways, I have been using the USPS the most and 99% of the time, everything went well.  There was just that one incident I had years ago where the substitute USPS delivery person must've either delivered a package of mine to the wrong place and or it really went lost somewhere. Tracking showed it was delivered, but here was the kicker, the seller did not do signature confirmation on it!?!  I was pissed especially on something of this magnitude.  Pretty bad because it had about $10k worth of golden age books in them..  Gladly I got my $ back from the seller.  Made a post of this way back then.  

Fed-Ex Ive used a few times and they have the best tracking system.  I sent high dollar books through them and no problems at all.

UPS I've sent a few cheaper items, again no problems either for me.

I have had damaged packages from all 3 providers and have been doing this for 15+ years.

It comes down to this. Package your comics like you expect them to receive damage. Especially
during the holidays. 

As a seller I have had only one damaged via USPS I can remember and basically the blades caught the package
and cut a 1 inch cut straight thru my comics even with 5 pieces of cardboard to protect them.
The FedEx and UPS package I got damaged were me buying and they were
corner dinged from being tossed I guess.

Really it comes down to how you as a seller packs. Or who you buy from as a buyer. If you buy on the cheap,
you better beg them to pack it well. As a seller if you think a Priority box will protect your comics you are dreaming.
Only good cardboard will do that.