• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPS, FedEx, or USPS...Who beats your stuff to shreds the worst?
1 1

59 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I have had damaged packages from all 3 providers and have been doing this for 15+ years.

It comes down to this. Package your comics like you expect them to receive damage. Especially
during the holidays. 

As a seller I have had only one damaged via USPS I can remember and basically the blades caught the package
and cut a 1 inch cut straight thru my comics even with 5 pieces of cardboard to protect them.
The FedEx and UPS package I got damaged were me buying and they were
corner dinged from being tossed I guess.

Really it comes down to how you as a seller packs. Or who you buy from as a buyer. If you buy on the cheap,
you better beg them to pack it well. As a seller if you think a Priority box will protect your comics you are dreaming.
Only good cardboard will do that.

You're right on those USPS priority boxes...they're barely one notch above a Cheerios box.

I delivered for USPS for a few years. That is the main reason I now only ship through fedex or ups. The USPS handles a much larger load than fedex and ups combined and most of their facilities are out of date. Though it is still amazing to me you can send a letter across country for less than $1. The USPS is not hurting for money. That is a myth that has been spread through forums for years. Congress made them fund their pensions for the next 30-40 years and that made them go into the red for a bit. They're now on the other side of that.  In my opinion for shipping comics the hierarchy goes like this:

1. Fedex

2. UPS

3. USPS - all letter mail I send through USPS 

Edited by Bighaley21

Albeit I almost never get packages via UPS, however UPS has left more than one package with me for my neighbor so I've seen enough UPS packages but ultimately I am most familiar with Fed Ex and USPS and without a doubt my experience is USPS presents more damaged boxes than Fed Ex and UPS.  This was a long way around the barn to say I am in agreement with "BigHaley21" just above my response.  Funny, yesterday I did get a package from UPS (first time in how long?, no clue) and the box was beat to hell.

I'm sure that some know this already but here goes:

UPS:

Estimated arrival time 10:30-2:15

2:30 isn't here yet, and then

4:30 it gets here...

UPS guy says that's just "estimated", so I ask what the latest delivery to residential and he says 11:30pm....

I'll be bamboozled if I ever stay up that late to greet UPS lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Dang auto correct caught me twice yo yo homie yo

I recently purchased 3 graded comics online from a dealer near San Antonio.

It was sent Priority Mail on December 5th, and I got the tracking number.

I live in Spring, TX, which is about 200 miles from San Antonio. My address is correct on the tracking information.

Here is the tracking scan history so far:

Scan History

Date Time Location Status
December 7, 2017 15:27 CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
December 7, 2017 09:59 On its way to SPRING,TX,77386 IN TRANSIT TO DESTINATION
December 6, 2017 09:59 On its way to SPRING,TX,77386 IN TRANSIT TO DESTINATION
December 5, 2017 21:59 SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
December 5, 2017 21:38 SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 5, 2017 20:23 BOERNE,TX,78015 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY
December 5, 2017 16:28 BOERNE,TX,78006 USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM

So the package is in California now. hm

I am currently on hold with USPS, with the stated wait time is 1 1/2 hours.

If anyone has good advice on how to handle this, it would be very helpful.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, icefires said:

I recently purchased 3 graded comics online from a dealer near San Antonio.

It was sent Priority Mail on December 5th, and I got the tracking number.

I live in Spring, TX, which is about 200 miles from San Antonio. My address is correct on the tracking information.

Here is the tracking scan history so far:

Scan History

Date Time Location Status
December 7, 2017 15:27 CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
December 7, 2017 09:59 On its way to SPRING,TX,77386 IN TRANSIT TO DESTINATION
December 6, 2017 09:59 On its way to SPRING,TX,77386 IN TRANSIT TO DESTINATION
December 5, 2017 21:59 SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
December 5, 2017 21:38 SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 5, 2017 20:23 BOERNE,TX,78015 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY
December 5, 2017 16:28 BOERNE,TX,78006 USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM

So the package is in California now. hm

I am currently on hold with USPS, with the stated wait time is 1 1/2 hours.

If anyone has good advice on how to handle this, it would be very helpful.

Thanks.

I finally got through to USPS.

I was told that California is a "normal stopover" for Priority Mail going from San Antonio to Spring (a suburb of Houston).

Are you kidding me?

I have ordered from this dealer in the past, and packages have never gone through California.

As of today, I will NEVER use USPS again. 

4 hours ago, icefires said:

I was told that California is a "normal stopover" for Priority Mail going from San Antonio to Spring (a suburb of Houston).

Are you kidding me?

I have ordered from this dealer in the past, and packages have never gone through California.

Unfortunately, there are several examples of this happening. I know some boardies have joked that their packages have gone on a cross country vacation of a lifetime, sometimes more than once.

My own story of this is the following: I live in Indiana and made an ebay purchase from a vendor in Ohio. The tracking showed the package arrived in Indianapolis from Ohio, but then went to New Jersey and then back to Indianapolis, where it was then sent to my local office and delivered to me. Why the detour to New Jersey that added another 3 business days to me receiving the package, who knows?!? It had never happened that way before and hasn't since.

Edited by Jaylam

Well, I'm still waiting for my Priority Mail package that was shipped from San Antonio, TX to where I live in Spring, TX (200 miles).

Today is day 7. No estimated delivery date given. :frustrated:

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time With Partner

In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 11, 2017 12:50 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 10, 2017 12:50 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 9, 2017 12:50 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 8, 2017 12:27 pm  
Departed USPS Regional Facility CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 8, 2017 10:50 am  
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 7, 2017 3:27 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 7, 2017 9:59 am  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 6, 2017 9:59 am  
Departed USPS Regional Facility SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 5, 2017 9:59 pm  
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 5, 2017 9:38 pm  
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility BOERNE, TX 78015 December 5, 2017 8:23 pm  
USPS in possession of item BOERNE, TX 78006 December 5, 2017 4:28 pm

On 12/8/2017 at 8:47 AM, icefires said:

Are you kidding me?

On 12/8/2017 at 8:47 AM, icefires said:

Had this problem a couple of times with USPS where the tracking says it arrived in my city, then it would go to another state, then to another, then back to my city.  It will definitely take some time, but my packages got to me safe and sound.  When this happens, I think the package was placed in the wrong shipping zone bin.  Stay positive.  

All the carriers I have received books from have been very good in terms of packages arriving undamaged or with minimal wear.  Most sellers send to me via USPS then delivery to my door by Canada Post.  Only been a couple of mishaps.  The one memorable one was the seller sent me a Bronze Age 9.2 slabbed book.  The seller packed well in a single box, but the package was crushed and the slab smashed to pieces ?

When I send a rigid envelope or box, I usually wrap the entire package in packing tape.  It makes the package a lot less likely to fail and provides some level of waterproofing if the package is left sitting in the rain or somehow gets wet.

On 12/11/2017 at 11:34 AM, icefires said:

Well, I'm still waiting for my Priority Mail package that was shipped from San Antonio, TX to where I live in Spring, TX (200 miles).

Today is day 7. No estimated delivery date given. :frustrated:

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time With Partner

In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 11, 2017 12:50 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 10, 2017 12:50 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 9, 2017 12:50 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 8, 2017 12:27 pm  
Departed USPS Regional Facility CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 8, 2017 10:50 am  
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 7, 2017 3:27 pm  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 7, 2017 9:59 am  
In Transit to Destination On its way to SPRING, TX 77386 December 6, 2017 9:59 am  
Departed USPS Regional Facility SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 5, 2017 9:59 pm  
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility SAN ANTONIO TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER December 5, 2017 9:38 pm  
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility BOERNE, TX 78015 December 5, 2017 8:23 pm  
USPS in possession of item BOERNE, TX 78006 December 5, 2017 4:28 pm

Day 9.

USPS has stopped sending updates. Just says "In transit - Delayed.

After an hour and 10 minute wait to talk to a live USPS person, I was able to open a case.

"Someone will contact you within two business days." Sure they will.

I did not request additional insurance for this package. $900 in books.

I'm screwed. :facepalm: