• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 75 - 25 Years Ago Today...
2 2

53 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Then when they announced he wasn't dead I said :censored: this.  I felt betrayed.  I felt taken advantage of.  I felt misled.  Genuine anger at them for taking my hard earned money.

Something that has become a very, very common, overused hype / marketing strategy in more recent years.

Except that anger has been replaced by boredom, and not buying into it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I remember wanting/needing that Platinum bagged edition so bad! lol  I guess it made an impact all these years later. I saw this cover at Essential Sequential and bought it without hesitation. I know it’s not the same but I dig it!

334219C0-0ADA-4F56-B2C5-A9C4C600B65E.jpeg

22 hours ago, Yad said:

how much is the first printing?

Generally speaking...

$5 for the Superman #75 with the ripped cape on the cover (may be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th printing).

$10 for the Superman #75 that's still in a black bag with a bleeding red S logo.

$10 for the Superman #75 that's gray and looks like a tombstone and has a DC logo with Jan. 1993 and prices at the bottom (US $1.25, etc.) of the cover.

$100 for the Superman #75 that's gray and looks like a tombstone and has a DC logo with nothing but shiny foil at the bottom of the cover.

$100 for the Superman #75 that's still in a black bag with a bleeding silver S logo.

Both of the $100 estimates are for "regular condition"... pristine copies will go higher.

Edited by valiantman

On 11/26/2017 at 4:16 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

This was the book that almost made me stop collecting comics.

I bought every issue leading up to it.

Met Dan Jurgens (a fellow Minnesotan) and told him how I loved the full page artwork.

Watched every news report and read every news article about it.

Then when they announced he wasn't dead I said :censored: this.  I felt betrayed.  I felt taken advantage of.  I felt misled.  Genuine anger at them for taking my hard earned money.

Still one of my favorite books today.  I love being a comic nerdlol.

It was a series of these BS cash grabs that slowly pushed me out of comics.

Supes wasnt dead, we had years of funeral for a friend shenanigins, with who of these 4 mystery heroes might be superman?  The Cyborg?  John Steel?  Some Robot?  Or a horrible teenager? 

Knightfall.  Knightquest.  Knightsend.

The last decade of spider-man is all fake news, the REAL spiderman died around issue 149 and the spidey you all grew up reading was just a clone!   

Oh lordy.

2 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

It was a series of these BS cash grabs that slowly pushed me out of comics.

Supes wasnt dead, we had years of funeral for a friend shenanigins, with who of these 4 mystery heroes might be superman?  The Cyborg?  John Steel?  Some Robot?  Or a horrible teenager? 

Knightfall.  Knightquest.  Knightsend.

The last decade of spider-man is all fake news, the REAL spiderman died around issue 149 and the spidey you all grew up reading was just a clone!   

Oh lordy.

Fair point.

As exhilarating as it was for me to feel like a part of something with the Death of Superman and Knightfall, the subsequent maxi-series storylines were a bridge too far, and I ended up dropping most titles (Superman - dropped with Adventures 500; Batman - dropped around #503; Spider-Man - dropped with Maximum Carnage; X-Men - dropped after # 304, but it was really X-Cutioner's Song that pushed me to the breaking point).

And it seems I wasn't alone, as the industry all-but imploded less than a year after the release of Superman 75.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:02 AM, Gatsby77 said:

And it seems I wasn't alone, as the industry all-but imploded less than a year after the release of Superman 75.

Yes, the bubble was expanding to near bursting levels around that time!  Does anyone remember Superman #75 was released the same day as Bloodshot #1, which was the first ever Chromium cover?!  Also, I appreciate those who decry the greed of retailers regarding practices around that time!  They weren't thinking long term the way people that sell, 'movie of the minute', books at fever pitch highs to people before those bubbles burst and it's on to the next white hot, must have book! ;-) 

1992 wasn't the mad year, Superman #75 notwithstanding. DC could have printed double what they did, and they still would have sold out. They went to 4 printings based on demand alone. and finally figured out how much to print to satisfy demand.

No, the glut year, the year the bloat reached its greatest volume was 1993.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1992 wasn't the mad year, Superman #75 notwithstanding. DC could have printed double what they did, and they still would have sold out. They went to 4 printings based on demand alone. and finally figured out how much to print to satisfy demand.

No, the glut year, the year the bloat reached its greatest volume was 1993.

I wonder if levees could be created with cases of white-bagged Adventures of Superman #500?  Seems like those will always be cheaper than sand. hm

^^^^^^^^ At the flea market a couple weeks ago a vendor saw some comic books in my hand... he said HEY!! you like comics? i have some death of supermans if your interested... i looked and it was 2 boxes of the white bagged #500

i told him... sorry man i don't collect SPIDER-MAN comics and walked away

7 minutes ago, engelhard said:

^^^^^^^^ At the flea market a couple weeks ago a vendor saw some comic books in my hand... he said HEY!! you like comics? i have some death of supermans if your interested... i looked and it was 2 boxes of the white bagged #500

i told him... sorry man i don't collect SPIDER-MAN comics and walked away

I bought a few white bags for 50 cents each recently, might have been a bad move! I'll offer them for a dollar each when I get some free ebay listings.

On 11/26/2017 at 4:16 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

This was the book that almost made me stop collecting comics.

I bought every issue leading up to it.

Met Dan Jurgens (a fellow Minnesotan) and told him how I loved the full page artwork.

Watched every news report and read every news article about it.

Still one of my favorite books today.  I love being a comic nerdlol.

This and Knightfsll were pretty much the end of me buying comics for about 15 years. And the end of me following in-continuity super hero comics forever, and for the most part super hero comics in general

On 1/27/2019 at 4:30 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

1992 wasn't the mad year, Superman #75 notwithstanding. No, the glut year, the year the bloat reached its greatest volume was 1993.

I used to think summer of 1989 was a glut when I saw a long box full of Batman year 3 parts 1-4 with nice Perez covers and decent Pat Broderick art but too common so they usually go in $1 bin.