• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 75 - 25 Years Ago Today...
2 2

53 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I used to think summer of 1989 was a glut when I saw a long box full of Batman year 3 parts 1-4 with nice Perez covers and decent Pat Broderick art but too common so they usually go in $1 bin.

Oh man. What I wouldn't have given to see Year 3, part 1s for $1. #437 was the very first Batman I ever bought, and #436 was sold OUT. By the time I found one, they were $5 each, and $5 30 years ago wasn't chump change. It took me months to find a copy for "not $5." Those books are pure magic to me. That's why I have about a long box of them.

:cloud9:

On 12/3/2017 at 12:05 PM, glynn and son cgc graded comics said:

These are part of the 25th Anniversary editions from Mexico 

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

Where did you find the man of steel 18 La Mole? I would really like to find a few of that book. 

12 minutes ago, glynn and son cgc graded comics said:

Message you. on that note: i go to the La Mole Show everyone year... Just happen to be there when the la mole did this exclusives. pretty cool !!

I just replied to PM and yes it is really cool! Would have been awesome to be there saw a lot of the pictures and I really remember the original death and would have been right at home celebrating the 25th! 

@RockMyAmadeus - have you ever seen this claim from September 1998:

"Since Superman died and was resurrected in a DC comic that sold 23 million copies, perhaps it’s appropriate that the movie about that subject is on the verge of rising from the ashes."

https://variety.com/1998/voices/columns/thesp-trio-eyes-nurse-superman-may-fly-1117480870/

23 million? ???

At Terrificon this year was practically the whole crew behind the Death of Superman. One night we saw all of them having dinner together, Dan Jurgens, Tom Grummet, Gerry Conway and Brett Breeding, we called it the Superman table. 

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

"Since Superman died and was resurrected in a DC comic that sold 23 million copies, perhaps it’s appropriate that the movie about that subject is on the verge of rising from the ashes."

https://variety.com/1998/voices/columns/thesp-trio-eyes-nurse-superman-may-fly-1117480870/

23 million? ???

I haven't....and that number is crazy high, even accounting for all the various reprints and trades.

There were perhaps 5-6 million or so of the deluxe, regular, and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th printings (though exact numbers are pretty impossible.) Maybe they're including the print runs for the return as well, which would have been about another 12 million....? They do say "...and was resurrected."

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
17 hours ago, valiantman said:

23 million? ???

I haven't....and that number is crazy high, even accounting for all the various reprints and trades.

There were perhaps 5-6 million or so of the deluxe, regular, and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th printings (though exact numbers are pretty impossible.) Maybe they're including the print runs for the return as well, which would have been about another 12 million....? They do say "...and was resurrected."

That link above is being cited on the Wiki page for Superman.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman  (Citation 76)

"Superman #75 (Nov 1992) sold over 23 million copies,[76] making it the best-selling issue of a comic book of all time, thanks to a media sensation over the supposedly permanent death of the character in that issue."

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Maybe they're including the print runs for the return as well, which would have been about another 12 million....? They do say "...and was resurrected."

Yeah, that number is probably close for the entire Death/Funeral/Return story. The wording in the article is garbage either way.

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That link above is being cited on the Wiki page for Superman.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman  (Citation 76)

"Superman #75 (Nov 1992) sold over 23 million copies,[76] making it the best-selling issue of a comic book of all time, thanks to a media sensation over the supposedly permanent death of the character in that issue."

Did the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who wrote that also update a Wikipedia page to reflect the fact that the Nic Cage Superman movie is back on? :eyeroll::facepalm:

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

That statement on Wikipedia is, as per the usual with Wikipedia, false.

The sentence in Variety says this: "Since Superman died and was resurrected in a DC comic that sold 23 million copies,"

Variety does not state where they get that figure, and they're wrong, too: Superman, as you know, wasn't resurrected in Superman #75...far from it.

And, Variety doesn't explicitly mention what comic they're referring to. The Wikipedia "editor" is making assumptions, as most Wikipedia editors do. Variety is making a vague, generalized statement, and whoever edited that Wiki just leapt to a conclusion not supported by their source.

Gag. The willful spread of misinformation.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

That statement on Wikipedia is, as per the usual with Wikipedia, false.

The sentence in Variety says this: "Since Superman died and was resurrected in a DC comic that sold 23 million copies,"

Variety does not state where they get that figure, and they're wrong, too: Superman, as you know, wasn't resurrected in Superman #75...far from it.

And, Variety doesn't explicitly mention what comic they're referring to. The Wikipedia "editor" is making assumptions, as most Wikipedia editors do. Variety is making a vague, generalized statement, and whoever edited that Wiki just leapt to a conclusion not supported by their source.

Gag. The willful spread of misinformation.

:facepalm:

Right - you'd think that "the best-selling issue of a comic book of all time" would be a statement that might need a little more explanation and documentation, but I guess hyperbole wins. 

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Right - you'd think that "the best-selling issue of a comic book of all time" would be a statement that might need a little more explanation and documentation, but I guess hyperbole wins. 

Somebody cleaned it up - six million sales for Superman 75 stated, which sounds right.

22 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Somebody cleaned it up - six million sales for Superman 75 stated, which sounds right.

That's not the Wiki page with the 23 million claim.  It's this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman