• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

North Texas Comic Book Show, February 10-11, Starlin, Secret Wars Reunion
2 2

62 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, ComicBooksDallas said:

It'll be nice to see you again @mysterio It's been awhile.

Definitely. Since I moved to Kansas I haven't been able to attend as many of the Texas shows as I would like. I'm really looking forward to your show and will try to find you to say hello!

This may be the only show I do in 2018, so come by and say hi.

When you say hi, check out this Dione "Thanos" Sanders custom Starting Lineup figure.  It's a one of one and comes with an official Marvel sketchcard that is hand pained.

I'll be set up somewhere in the building.  In the 500 section.

Thanos Figure.jpg

18 hours ago, mysterio said:

Anyone know what Starlin charges for signatures?

@mysterio trying to get an answer for you. Also, please note that Jim will not be arriving at the show until 11 am on Saturday. This was confirmed today. Starlin early bird ticket holders will be given line priority at that time.

18 minutes ago, ComicBooksDallas said:

@mysterio trying to get an answer for you. Also, please note that Jim will not be arriving at the show until 11 am on Saturday. This was confirmed today. Starlin early bird ticket holders will be given line priority at that time.

Thank you! Can you also check on whether he’ll sign for CGC books? I’d heard that he won’t, so I’d just like to confirm before I’d try. No need to him off needlessly. 

3 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Thank you! Can you also check on whether he’ll sign for CGC books? I’d heard that he won’t, so I’d just like to confirm before I’d try. No need to him off needlessly. 

So, subject to any issues or changes, he will sign CGC. My understanding is that signing fees are being donated to the Heroes Initiative. The same holds true for Larry Hama. 

1 minute ago, ComicBooksDallas said:

So, subject to any issues or changes, he will sign CGC. My understanding is that signing fees are being donated to the Heroes Initiative. The same holds true for Larry Hama. 

Excellent, thank you sir!

Here is my report from Sarurday, all i can say is wow!! Chris, the promoter for the North Texas Comic Book Show, should be extremely proud to see how his little show has grown into a legitimate comic destination. Hats off to you Chris, you and the volunteers did a tremendous job and this one will be hard to top. 

I was on the fence paying for early bird entrance all I can say is it paid for itself in spades. This option allowed you on the floor 30 minutes before the show opened. 

i first made a beeline over to the Starlin line and it was mostly Starlin line jumps so knowing those folks were going first regardless I decided to make my way over to the Secret Wars Reunion table where Zeck, Beatty and Shooter were. Mike Zeck and John Beatty signed and did sketches inside my Secret Wars Omnibus and got signatures from Jim Shooter in that book as well as finishing up my Secret Wars 8. Afterwards I spent a few minutes talking to Jim Shooter. After Reading Sean Howe's History of Marvel Comics, I did not have a favorable image of him. He totally blew away my image of him but I'll get into that a littler later.

After getting things at the Secret Wars Table squared away I went back over to the Starlin line where I had not lost any ground from where I was previously. Within a few minutes Jim Starlin arrived and started signing and conversing with fans. Originally it was thought he would be an hour late to the show but he actually showed up a few minutes before the doors opened to everyone. Within 15 minutes of the show opening the line swelled to about 100 people another 15-30 minutes later the line swelled to another 100 people easy forcing the line to be moved off the convention floor to an outside hallway where the line went all the way down the length of the wall probably 150-200 strong. Jim charged $5 a signature with 100% of the money going to the Hero Initiative, what a class act!! If you catch him at a con this year a couple of things to remember he suffered a pretty nasty injury to his drawing hand in a accident with a Soda Stream bottle that exploded in his home. As a result he no longer does sketches. Also he has an allergic reaction to metallic sharpies and only signed in black and red today so you may want to take this into consideration in choosing things to get signed. I conversed with him a little bit about his accident, his recent split with Marvel Comics and how he felt about his creations hitting the big screen which he took the time to answer without trying to hurry one anyone along. After signing my books he signed our Infinity Gauntlet bank and graciously took a picture with it afterwards.  Again a class act comics legend.

Next I went to Al Milgom's table. I had Al sign my PPSM 85 and we talked about his run on that book and how he felt it was some of his best work his career. We talked about his cover work on ASM 194 and how he wasn't happy with the final product and that he would do some things differently if given the chance today. Again a legendary creator who was personable and great with fans. 

After Al, I made my way to Randy Emberlin's table and got sigs on my ASM 361-364. Got to see him do a Carnage remark sketch on an ASM 361 and I'm kind of kicking myself not getting one of my own, it was awesome!! Randy shared some good stories and seemed to be having a good time with the fans. 

My last stop for comic artists was Joe Rubenstein, he signed some of my books and our Infinity Gauntlet bank which like Jim Starlin he was gracious enough to take a picture with. We talked about his work with Frank Miller and how "great" it was to hear from gray bearded guys like myself how much they enjoyed his work when they were kids. Saying all of this with a laugh. I responded when I was kid how much I enjoyed his Wolverine Mini-Series with Frank which immediately prompted another laugh from him.  Again another great legend in the industry. 

All of these guys had crowds at their tables every time I walked by. At one point I think the huge crowd that was at Jim Starlin's table had all moved to the other side of the room and were invading the Secret Wars guys. I know when I went by to check on my sketch from John Beatty he had not had a chance to start as they had been signing solidly for 3-4 hours.  

I know I started with Jim Shooter and I'll end with Jim Shooter he was nothing like pompous person_too_unaware_of_social_graces he was portrayed in the History of Marvel Comics. A fan asked him specifically about his exit from Marvel and he explained everything that happened behind the scenes and as Editor-In -Chief he was in a no-win situation between the staff and the owners of the company. He stated that he was demanding but that he had to be as some Marvel titles were six months behind when he took over and that within a year every Marvel Comic was on time for the first time in their history. Jim's panel was about comic book writing but the real gem in Jim's panel was him breaking down Strange Tales 114 and going over every page in the Cap tryout story. Jim went into what Kirby was doing in every panel and how he was moving the story along along with the different techniques all the while marveling at Kirby's genius for storytelling through his art. For people in the industry this is probably old hat but for fans of the medium this was a fascinating breakdown. It almost felt like a college professor's lecture except a lot more interesting. There was more to Jim's presentation that touched outside of comics that was terrific as well. I also went back for the Secret Wars Panel with Beatty, Shooter and Zeck. They shared some great stories about the making of that series and how it just about broke all of them. 

Got a chance to go by Monster Lair's booth and got to chat with Mysterio. Great talking with you today and glad you got to make the trip down. 

Again to the North Texas Comic Book Show organizers and staff :golfclap:.  If anyone is on the fence about going out tomorrow I can promise you if you are a fan of comics you will not be disappointed.

I won't be making it out there tomorrow but I hope someone gives a report of the Starlin-Shooter panel tomorrow that should be a blast. 

Edited by spideyfan68

I live close to there and it's worth noting, that venue (Irving Convention Center) is getting so much better now. Some bars and restaurants have popped up right next to it within the past year (walking distance). It used to be so bare and boring, but now there's some life that you can actually have some fun around the venue when there. Soon, there will be even more for future shows. I think that venue will be able to attract even bigger names in the future.

Edited by kevhtx

2 hours ago, spideyfan68 said:

Here is my report from Sarurday, all i can say is wow!! Chris, the promoter for the North Texas Comic Book Show, should be extremely proud to see how his little show has grown into a legitimate comic destination. Hats off to you Chris, you and the volunteers did a tremendous job and this one will be hard to top. 

I was on the fence paying for early bird entrance all I can say is it paid for itself in spades. This option allowed you on the floor 30 minutes before the show opened. 

i first made a beeline over to the Starlin line and it was mostly Starlin line jumps so knowing those folks were going first regardless I decided to make my way over to the Secret Wars Reunion table where Zeck, Beatty and Shooter were. Mike Zeck and John Beatty signed and did sketches inside my Secret Wars Omnibus and got signatures from Jim Shooter in that book as well as finishing up my Secret Wars 8. Afterwards I spent a few minutes talking to Jim Shooter. After Reading Sean Howe's History of Marvel Comics, I did not have a favorable image of him. He totally blew away my image of him but I'll get into that a littler later.

After getting things at the Secret Wars Table squared away I went back over to the Starlin line where I had not lost any ground from where I was previously. Within a few minutes Jim Starlin arrived and started signing and conversing with fans. Originally it was thought he would be an hour late to the show but he actually showed up a few minutes before the doors opened to everyone. Within 15 minutes of the show opening the line swelled to about 100 people another 15-30 minutes later the line swelled to another 100 people easy forcing the line to be moved off the convention floor to an outside hallway where the line went all the way down the length of the wall probably 150-200 strong. Jim charged $5 a signature with 100% of the money going to the Hero Initiative, what a class act!! If you catch him at a con this year a couple of things to remember he suffered a pretty nasty injury to his drawing hand in a accident with a Soda Stream bottle that exploded in his home. As a result he no longer does sketches. Also he has an allergic reaction to metallic sharpies and only signed in black and red today so you may want to take this into consideration in choosing things to get signed. I conversed with him a little bit about his accident, his recent split with Marvel Comics and how he felt about his creations hitting the big screen which he took the time to answer without trying to hurry one anyone along. After signing my books he signed our Infinity Gauntlet bank and graciously took a picture with it afterwards.  Again a class act comics legend.

Next I went to Al Milgom's table. I had Al sign my PPSM 85 and we talked about his run on that book and how he felt it was some of his best work his career. We talked about his cover work on ASM 194 and how he wasn't happy with the final product and that he would do some things differently if given the chance today. Again a legendary creator who was personable and great with fans. 

After Al, I made my way to Randy Emberlin's table and got sigs on my ASM 361-364. Got to see him do a Carnage remark sketch on an ASM 361 and I'm kind of kicking myself not getting one of my own, it was awesome!! Randy shared some good stories and seemed to be having a good time with the fans. 

My last stop for comic artists was Joe Rubenstein, he signed some of my books and our Infinity Gauntlet bank which like Jim Starlin he was gracious enough to take a picture with. We talked about his work with Frank Miller and how "great" it was to hear from gray bearded guys like myself how much they enjoyed his work when they were kids. Saying all of this with a laugh. I responded when I was kid how much I enjoyed his Wolverine Mini-Series with Frank which immediately prompted another laugh from him.  Again another great legend in the industry. 

All of these guys had crowds at their tables every time I walked by. At one point I think the huge crowd that was at Jim Starlin's table had all moved to the other side of the room and were invading the Secret Wars guys. I know when I went by to check on my sketch from John Beatty he had not had a chance to start as they had been signing solidly for 3-4 hours.  

I know I started with Jim Shooter and I'll end with Jim Shooter he was nothing like pompous person_too_unaware_of_social_graces he was portrayed in the History of Marvel Comics. A fan asked him specifically about his exit from Marvel and he explained everything that happened behind the scenes and as Editor-In -Chief he was in a no-win situation between the staff and the owners of the company. He stated that he was demanding but that he had to be as some Marvel titles were six months behind when he took over and that within a year every Marvel Comic was on time for the first time in their history. Jim's panel was about comic book writing but the real gem in Jim's panel was him breaking down Strange Tales 114 and going over every page in the Cap tryout story. Jim went into what Kirby was doing in every panel and how he was moving the story along along with the different techniques all the while marveling at Kirby's genius for storytelling through his art. For people in the industry this is probably old hat but for fans of the medium this was a fascinating breakdown. It almost felt like a college professor's lecture except a lot more interesting. There was more to Jim's presentation that touched outside of comics that was terrific as well. I also went back for the Secret Wars Panel with Beatty, Shooter and Zeck. They shared some great stories about the making of that series and how it just about broke all of them. 

Got a chance to go by Monster Lair's booth and got to chat with Mysterio. Great talking with you today and glad you got to make the trip down. 

Again to the North Texas Comic Book Show organizers and staff :golfclap:.  If anyone is on the fence about going out tomorrow I can promise you if you are a fan of comics you will not be disappointed.

I won't be making it out there tomorrow but I hope someone gives a report of the Starlin-Shooter panel tomorrow that should be a blast. 

It was great meeting you too! Excellent report, I’ll add my own after I get home so I don’t have to peck it out on my phone. 

Spent around four hours at the show yesterday with my son and a couple of friends from out of town.  Felt that the variety in the room dealer wise was much improved as compared to previous shows--particularly the number of slabs and SA keys.  I was impressed.  Ended up a nice GA book, a SA slab that I've been searching for the last 12 months, and my son walked away with quite a few nice bronze Actions.  

All in all, a nice way to spend a Saturday.

16 hours ago, Shaolingoat said:

Spent around four hours at the show yesterday with my son and a couple of friends from out of town.  Felt that the variety in the room dealer wise was much improved as compared to previous shows--particularly the number of slabs and SA keys.  I was impressed.  Ended up a nice GA book, a SA slab that I've been searching for the last 12 months, and my son walked away with quite a few nice bronze Actions.  

All in all, a nice way to spend a Saturday.

Thanks for stopping by the booth and saying hello, glad to see you and @comicquant (and @Batmanderson as well?). I was also glad to meet @spideyfan68 and get to chat for a bit.

As usual, @ComicBooksDallas put on a tremendous show, and the guest list was the best I can remember in Dallas (YMMV, but for a copper guy like me it gathered a lot of creators that I either hadn't seen, hadn't seen in a long while, or really wanted to see again). The charges for autographs did limit what I got signed by some of the creators (generally everyone was $5 an autograph, save for Hama [first two free], Erwin, and Shooter). I don't mind paying, and I know they need to make money for their time, but even one freebie would have been nice. Their lines were quite long most of Saturday, but thinned out considerably towards the end of the show Saturday and were pretty short Sunday. All the creators were great! The biggest "complaint" that I had was Jim Shooter's line, and it only moved slowly because he was taking a lot of time with each fan to tell stories and share anecdotes. All that time and he was constantly at his table and signing for free. Just tremendous!

There were a variety of comic dealers at the show and plenty of good books in the room. I always forget to take wall pics, but I do have one below of our own wall (shameless plug). Aside from what we had available, just about every major SA key was in the room (@Dork Buzz certainly brought the heat in his booth) and a pair of guys who were down from Tulsa (I'm sorry I forgot their names) had books like Showcase #8, Jimmy Olsen #1, Lois Lane #1, and other heavy hitters. I picked up some really nice stuff from them at a good deal. I hadn't planned to spend much money at this show, but quickly threw that idea out the window.

My favorite pickup from the show was the pre-done sketch of the Black Cat done by Milgrom pictured below. I had really hoped to get a piece of art from him for my growing sketch collection and that was perfect (he had an amazing Dr. Doom head sketch I almost bought too). Randy Emberlin did a quick Spidey head sketch on a reproduction ASM #363 cover that I've had, he's a great guy you should definitely hit up if you ever see him at a show.

The one issue that needed to be raised about the show was the size of the booths. They were 8 x 8, rather than the pretty standard 10 x 10, which made booth setup and navigation behind the table a fair bit more difficult than it needed to be. Hopefully that will be reconsidered for the next show. It didn't ruin the weekend by any stretch, but it did cramp our logistics (and I doubt that we are the only ones).

Overall this show was a great warmup for Planet coming up this weekend! I'm very glad I caved and flew down for it.

D893A05D-221C-4A14-9C88-D41C7B6E400D.jpeg

3A99C745-6643-4583-A2C8-549ABE2BED27.jpeg

2CA6646E-09CF-4048-A4F3-F7BCA2FE61AB.jpeg

Edited by mysterio

On 2/10/2018 at 9:07 PM, spideyfan68 said:

Jim's panel was about comic book writing but the real gem in Jim's panel was him breaking down Strange Tales 114 and going over every page in the Cap tryout story. Jim went into what Kirby was doing in every panel and how he was moving the story along along with the different techniques all the while marveling at Kirby's genius for storytelling through his art.

That sounds awesome, do you know if any of it was recorded? 

What were some of Starlin's responses to your questions?

Thanks for the great recap!