• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesn't Comic Link show a scan of the back?

29 posts in this topic

The clear majority of CGC books on ebay seem to show a scan of the back.  I won't even consider bidding on an auction without seeing one.  Why does Comic Link rarely show one?  I can't be the only potential business they're losing by not doing so. 

Well...no one has to do anything.  ebay sellers and board members here don't "have to" either but they do.  I would think as a function of two things.  One, to give an accurate and as complete a depiction of the item as the seller can (which I think is only fair), and two, to garner more interest.  I for one am the kind of person who doesn't stick to GPA figures if I want an item.  And I will comfortably go over by 20-30% on a book that is not by any means rare and comes up often, if it is an older book and I can discern as much of the presentation as possible.  But I will not even consider buying at a 20% discount if I can't see the back. 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Even Pedigree Comics started posting back cover scans ( for books in the auction ), a thing never done until recently.

ComicLink should do same.

I agree, they should. Maybe they don't because;

A) you would then see that horrific immovable sticker that they tend to put on the back of the cases

B) they work on the assumption that you can see the grade and page quality on the front label, so the back is arguably 'guaranteed' / 'irrelevant'. 

Which is one of the reasons I gave up on graded books when I used comiclink and others to build an ASM run some years back.  We all know that two copies of the same book may grade the same, but can look significantly different. That is why the term 'eye appeal' exists in the hobby. By not showing that back cover you are implying that the grade is all that matters. I received many books that I was disappointed with when I flipped them over and looked at the back. If you're buying a comic, often for large sums of money, you need to see front and back and the CGC label should refer to any issues inside (e.g. writing, which I found in quite a few books that I later opened up, including an AF15)

I grew to distrust graded books. And I would never buy one now if I couldn't see the back.

Apart from that, everything's great! :bigsmile:

I would imagine CL just doesn't think the time (and cost) of changing their workflow, hosting requirements, and web application engine is worth it at the present time.  It's not something you can just wake up one morning and flip a switch.  It wouldn't surprise me however, if their next overhaul of the site would finally include scans of the backs though. 

For books selling at auction, they don't want the extra labor involved.  For books selling on the Exchange, the consigners upload the scans and so choose whether to include back cover scans.

46 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

= lazy

Spot on liz. Obtusely lazy. Look at all the bother in that car crash of an original art thread where scans of the back may have headed off WW3. Not including clear scans of front and back of a collectible suggests the same mentality to me as not putting adequate protection in for shipping. Some things are just patently obvious, and I tire sometimes of those who make excuses for not doing what any reasonable person would do or expect them to do. 

35 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

= lazy

Spot on liz. Obtusely lazy. Look at all the bother in that car crash of an original art thread where scans of the back may have headed off WW3. Not including clear scans of front and back of a collectible suggests the same mentality to me as not putting adequate protection in for shipping. Some things are just patently obvious, and I tire sometimes of those who make excuses for not doing what any reasonable person would do or expect them to do. 

Honestly, I don't sometimes do back scans of low grade dollar or free books.

Remember too that books in their exchange (not auction) are not usually at CL.  They are uploaded by the seller and for the most part stay with the seller until they are sold.  That is one reason, it may take longer to get books when buying through the exchange.  I guess CL could require BC scans but the seller could upload whatever and it would be a labor nightmare to go through and confirm the BC scans.

I would like to have BC scans and the highest quality/resolution possible and scans of every book but many of the raw books listed are sans-scan.

I say all of this as at least this was the way it used to be when selling on the exchange and as far as I know it has not changed.

i could just be me ... but comic link hasn't had any decent new listing on their exchange all year long!! maybe even the last few years

i personally have not bought from them in about four years and i have quite a few different classic GA runs i am working on with many holes 

almost all their listings are now bronze and newer, multiple copies of the same books too (drek too me if you ask)

or usually very low grade keys at prices listed that would make new highs

they seldom have any GA anymore and when they do it is way overpriced ,

come to think of it they seldom have a comic on their exchange listed as sold anymore either

I think having scans of the front and back of a book is a minimum requirement. I find it very annoying that they aren't automatically provided. If I have to make a special effort to get them to provide it, forget it. This is especially true on mid and lower grade books where more obtrusive defects could be present that might be a deal breaker for my preferred tastes.  

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I agree, they should. Maybe they don't because;

A) you would then see that horrific immovable sticker that they tend to put on the back of the cases

B) they work on the assumption that you can see the grade and page quality on the front label, so the back is arguably 'guaranteed' / 'irrelevant'. 

Which is one of the reasons I gave up on graded books when I used comiclink and others to build an ASM run some years back.  We all know that two copies of the same book may grade the same, but can look significantly different. That is why the term 'eye appeal' exists in the hobby. By not showing that back cover you are implying that the grade is all that matters. I received many books that I was disappointed with when I flipped them over and looked at the back. If you're buying a comic, often for large sums of money, you need to see front and back and the CGC label should refer to any issues inside (e.g. writing, which I found in quite a few books that I later opened up, including an AF15)

I grew to distrust graded books. And I would never buy one now if I couldn't see the back.

Apart from that, everything's great! :bigsmile:

That sticker is a joke and a lame marketing grab, although a thread exists on how to remove with a little WD-40, and it works well.

1 minute ago, MustEatBrains said:

That sticker is a joke and a lame marketing grab, although a thread exists on how to remove with a little WD-40, and it works well.

Oh, no, is there!? I've been using a hammer and chisel. Oh, bowl locks! :mad:

25 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
28 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Oh, no, is there!? I've been using a hammer and chisel. Oh, bowl locks! :mad:

I've just been cracking the books out and throwing away those defaced slabs!

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've just been cracking the books out and throwing away those defaced slabs!

Me too. Nice and carefully mind.

Smash.gif.71827bc6ddc9670c4edbc0c85ec80a9a.gif  5a11a0d945dd4_imageproxy(1).gif.6aeed044ba87292845bde681f4fe2c4a.gif