• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the “comic con” bubble burst?
5 5

251 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Plenty of these new buyers on the first day or other dealers buying on the floor before the show opens are dropping $2K-$20k easily. Many dealers are making money before the door opens to the general public 

Definitely. I know of plenty of cases where dealers would have been able to head home before a show even opened with a healthy profit for the entire weekend. The actual show sales were gravy. But if the buyers are really out there in droves then more dealers would be setting up. When the small dealers are not signing up for a WW Chicago, which historically has been a show with that mix of large dealers and weekend warriors, it makes me question whether money has been flowing their way as readily as it has been in years past. Yes, table prices have gone up, but a $1500 table isn't much if you stand to make bank if the buyers are there.

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

yayclouds.gif  It's essential if you want to have professional strength gas for convention floor carpet bombing! yayclouds.gif

Sometimes you really impress me.

Sometimes it is the attention to small details that insures a memorable, quality experience for convention goers! :cloud9: 

29 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Plenty of these new buyers on the first day or other dealers buying on the floor before the show opens are dropping $2K-$20k easily. Many dealers are making money before the door opens to the general public 

Kind of goes hand in hand with what you said in response to why several Cons are become devoid of comic book dealers.  If you price stuff way under current e-bay prices then you will be a huge hit at almost any Con.  You will get a line of dealers with cash in hand ready to buy at a discount and once the show opens you have people clammering over each other to grab books so they can have them up for sale that night on e-bay.  But if a Con has degraded to a comic blow out venue is that sign of the peak being well behind us.

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

isn't baltimore comic-con supposed to be great for the comic collectors and low on all the other non comic stuff? 

Baltimore is a great Con to go check out comic books.  Rows and rows of comic book dealers - one of the last few that draw in the book enthusiast.  Not sure how sales went this year for everyone but Dan said he did great.  I’d think a show like Baltimore will survive a downturn.

11 minutes ago, grebal said:

Same here in San Antonio -  last year went to two of the 'big' cons and found fewer comic dealers at each than I found at a smaller show "Eckman's" that has a few shows a year and only charges $5-7 for entry.  Don't know anything about the cost of dealers tables at these events.

If a out of state show is not a multi-day show (ticket prices will probably be higher/booth costs) then I am not driving 2 1/2 days to texas to come say hello to collectors who spend no money that are glad to see me.  Unless the national dealer is local I doubt they will set up at a local show unless it is financially worth it.  I am not sure what the attraction to small/local "Comic book only shows are".  A one day show requires me to load in and load out 4 times (Once from my office to the minivan,  unload to the booth,  setup,  breakdown the booth,  load out to the minivan and then load out back into my office) x 45 boxes.   If I do $500-$1000 at that local show it is a WASTE OF TIME.  I can sit at my computer and sell that online and save breaking my back (4X 45 boxes).     

21 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I think you mean two HOUR drive.

Going to Steel City?

It's not hard to understand why people don't like bag frozen / reheated food at restaurant prices when you can get just as good at the grocery store freezer isle now.

Steel City is a great Con for seeing B rated celebrities and getting signatures but the one I went to two years ago was a waste of a 4 hour drive.  I found better book oks hitting 3 comic shops on the drive back then I did at the 5 or 6 booths at the show.  I’ve not bothered going back.  You going?

13 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Definitely. I know of plenty of cases where dealers would have been able to head home before a show even opened with a healthy profit for the entire weekend. The actual show sales were gravy. But if the buyers are really out there in droves then more dealers would be setting up. When the small dealers are not signing up for a WW Chicago, which historically has been a show with that mix of large dealers and weekend warriors, it makes me question whether money has been flowing their way as readily as it has been in years past. Yes, table prices have gone up, but a $1500 table isn't much if you stand to make bank if the buyers are there.

What collector or part time dealer is going to pony up $1,500 to get a booth and risk sitting around having no sales.  I’d much rather go to a few small 1 day cons in the area since that’s where the small guys set up since the booths are $80.  Problem in Cleveland is the same 20-25 guys buying up all the tables due to the tables being cheap so there is no way new people can get in with new stuff.  Not sure how to fix that issue.

13 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

If a out of state show is not a multi-day show (ticket prices will probably be higher/booth costs) then I am not driving 2 1/2 days to texas to come say hello to collectors who spend no money that are glad to see me.  Unless the national dealer is local I doubt they will set up at a local show unless it is financially worth it.  I am not sure what the attraction to small/local "Comic book only shows are".  A one day show requires me to load in and load out 4 times (Once from my office to the minivan,  unload to the booth,  setup,  breakdown the booth,  load out to the minivan and then load out back into my office) x 45 boxes.   If I do $500-$1000 at that local show it is a WASTE OF TIME.  I can sit at my computer and sell that online and save breaking my back (4X 45 boxes).     

Why miss out on all that fun though.(shrug)

Just now, ygogolak said:
35 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

yayclouds.gif  It's essential if you want to have professional strength gas for convention floor carpet bombing! yayclouds.gif

I call that the "under table boxes forcefield."

(worship)

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

What collector or part time dealer is going to pony up $1,500 to get a booth and risk sitting around having no sales.  I’d much rather go to a few small 1 day cons in the area since that’s where the small guys set up since the booths are $80.  Problem in Cleveland is the same 20-25 guys buying up all the tables due to the tables being cheap so there is no way new people can get in with new stuff.  Not sure how to fix that issue.

When you think small you are ($80 for $800 for $1500 for $15000).  If you have a accurately graded/fairly priced collection and can read a exhibitor list I think the big show is where my best chance at doing big sales lies.  You can go to the local show and sell to local dealers but you are confined by the local "financial demographics".  National dealers have "national budgets" and frankly I would love nothing more then buying a new unseen collection of fairly priced books then looking at my competitors inventory.  I would think that more local dealers would seek me out at shows and tell me that they have some new books versus me having to seek them out.   I have had some local dealers do that and spent a lot of money with them.  Being fair worked out for the both of us.  

54 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

The Comic Con experience has died for me about 5 years ago. When you have to spend an entire night in a line to get next years tickets for SDCC sucked. Forget about the hotel I spent 600.00 a night for a comfortable bed, think I'll sleep on a dock outside. The small shows are the best. The only show I go to now is Terry O Neils Yorba Linda show. I've had it with the crowds.

Is Wondercon not worth it?

50 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Based on your response (and the subsequent ones) it’s fair to say that larger shows (even with cosplayers, celebrity groupies) are working out fine and the bigger the crowd the potential for the bigger sales exist?

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

A $1500 booth is a lot if you don't have the inventory to make it work, especially if you're an out of town dealer and have to pay for travel, hotel, beer and foot powder.  I'm always looking to sell 10X my cost so perhaps $25k gross sales at a multi-day, out of town show which would require at least 250k in inventory.  You won't make bank no matter how many buyers are there if you don't have enough inventory.

And Bob is right, setting up at single day shows is a lot of work.  I'd much rather set up at a multi-day show and get 2, 3, or 4 days of selling before dragging it home.  

51 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Based on your response (and the subsequent ones) it’s fair to say that larger shows (even with cosplayers, celebrity groupies) are working out fine and the bigger the crowd the potential for the bigger sales exist?

The chance for sales are always there but 100% of the shows I went to this year there was either a small reduction in comic booths (Baltimore) to a huge reduction in comic book booths.  I heard Cincinnati was a disaster, Cleveland Wizard Con was terrible, Chicago Wizard is being described as way down.  The number of comic booths do not drop across the board for no reason.

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The chance for sales are always there but 100% of the shows I went to this year there was either a small reduction in comic booths (Baltimore) to a huge reduction in comic book booths.  I heard Cincinnati was a disaster, Cleveland Wizard Con was terrible, Chicago Wizard is being described as way down.  The number of comic booths do not drop across the board for no reason.

no doubt about that but is that because of Wizard and their prices (booths and to customers) or sales at those shows, or purchases by buyers. I saw some dealers were missing but there were still plenty of booths from comic dealers and plenty of books to be purchased and were purchased.

again my point, if you are a dealer that knows what you are doing - buying the right books, at the right prices, pricing those books correctly, bringing those books to the show, then I don't see how you aren't making money. Of the dealers that aren't coming back, are they doing something wrong or is the comic con bubble bursting?

I think it's the former and not the latter