• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art from your first comic?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

In another thread, people were talking about remembering their very first comic/comics and I was surprised how many people actually didn't!  I think I can probably remember what the first ten or fifteen comics I ever owned were, and probably in the sequence I got them, so that nostalgic aspect has really influenced my collecting decisions.  I was just wondering what everyone's first comic was, and are you actively looking for a page or cover to it - or does it not really matter to you in the scope of your collection?  

As I said in that thread you mention, I don't know my first comic, but I know it was a Spider-man comic. The earliest certain memory of a specific comic that I have (by cover) is Tales of the New Teen Titans #1

il_570xN.1255370275_suk3.jpg

Oddly, I have roughly zero nostalgia for this book, or for much of DC in general outside of the Vertigo line that I got to when I was a bit older.

I'm lucky enough to have most, if not all, of my first comics. I thank Mom for not tossing them away. As such, collecting art from my first comics is part of my focus and I'm lucky enough to have acquired a few pieces. In fact, I just won an auction for one yesterday. In another fact, suddenly there has been a deluge of offerings this week that I don't know what to do :pullhair:

I have pre-school age children now and naturally I've given them many comics. They often end up torn to shreds and tossed out. This tells me that they will never remember their true first comic, and instead, their "first" comic might be something they get at age 6, like me. This leads me to believe that my "first" comic may not be that at all.

Otherwise, if I focused solely on first comics art, I would've quit the hobby because they hardly pop up on the market (or when it rains, it pours). Also, since this is early copper age stuff, the prices are pretty hefty, and forget the prices for covers. For sure one cover from my childhood is in David Mandel's collection; another one is for sale for $11.5K. Coollines has a bunch covers and pages and even a complete book from my childhood...but at outrageous prices. It makes sense that they have so many because of their high prices, they don't move. This is to say that it doesn't surprise me if not many collectors go after these types of nostalgic pieces because they don't pop up often and they tend to be expensive.

I have not one of my first comics - like your children, I shredded all of my first ones, and eventually the remains vanished or were thrown out.   But those first several issues made such a tremendous impact on my life.  I stared at the covers as a kid and memorized every line.  My first ever comic was by Kirby and his style imprinted itself so strongly on me that even at 7 or 8, while I seriously doubt I knew his name, I would immediately recognize his work and be drawn to anything he did.

Eventually in my teens I found a lot of replacement copies for those early books I had destroyed or defaced.   

I definitely remember that four issue Teen Titans series - I had the Raven issue.  Unfortunately, I know Steve Oliff did color the OA for that cover, because he had a table at SDCC in the 80s and he was offering various hand colored OA for sale, and I vividly remember seeing that one on his table (the Raven one, not the Cyborg one)!  

Incidentally, this is a great site that you can spend an entire evening getting lost in, and it reminded me of a few books I had long forgotten I'd owned at one point or another: Mike's Amazing World 

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/newsstand.php

the foundation of my collecting is art from the first dozen or so comics I ever had-

Marvel Team Up #11 16 page of Spidey and the Inhumans- my first Marvel comic! Still looking to track down a few pages.

JLA #110 Dillin  9 pages of The man who murdered Santa Claus, from one of the 100 pagers, anyone have the last page where Red Tornado gets his new costume?

Marvel Spotlight #24 Son of Satan and Satana!

there's more in my gallery under the label "My Grail art"

I read a million Disney comics in Europe when I was little and I haven’t the foggiest what the first one was.     First English language comic I ever read was Wolverine limited #2 which a friend gave me.    I’d certainly love to have the cover but too rich for my blood

My first comics were Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes. My first mainstream comic was Silver Surfer 50 though. The bookstore at the mall near my house started getting actual comic books in, and the cover caught my eye. Before that, the only exposure I had to mainstream comic characters were cartoons. I was lucky enough to snag a nice page a few years ago.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=382206

I've also got a cover recreation of it too!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=16714

Edited by Khazano
Forgot about the cover recreation.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I read a million Disney comics in Europe when I was little and I haven’t the foggiest what the first one was.     First English language comic I ever read was Wolverine limited #2 which a friend gave me.    I’d certainly love to have the cover but too rich for my blood

Not only would that cover be expensive in general, but many years ago (2005 maybe) I swear I saw it on the Donnelly's website as a trade only.  They didn't even respond to my inquiry so I can only imagine what they were asking.  

Edited by Flambit
Edit: to clarify, I would swear it was Coollines website, not another dealer.

I read a million Disney comics in Europe when I was little and I haven’t the foggiest what the first one was.     First English language comic I ever read...

For most of us our first comic was our first English (and probably only) language comic, so you're hinting at a story begging to be told ;) 

Whilst I do have some nostalgia for the X-Men from having watch the 90s cartoon, I didn't read any American comics until I was in my 20s.

When the Watchmen movie came out, I remarked to a friend how it was so different from other superhero stories; my friend said that's because of the source material and the writer and gave me the Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentleman graphic novels. 

I've been an Alan Moore fan since then and art from Moore's comics are the focus of my collection (with some 90s X-Men thrown in for good measure)

If anyone has any Watchmen or LXG pages to sell for cheap, I'll happily take them off your hands ?

Hulk and Iron Man were my favorite characters when I first discovered comics with Hulk 227 and Iron Man 116 being the first issues I have pulled from the spinner rack and really pulled me into reading comics. I have a couple pages from Hulk 227 (and always looking for more) but never picked up a page from Iron Man 116 (would love to but my budget for non-Hulk related pages is too low to acquire one). 1978 was a good year for me. 

My first comic was Man-Thing v. 2 #6 in 1980.  I don't have a strong emotional attachment to the issue; it was just something that my parents bought for me on a family road-trip.  The first time it was available publicly, I passed on it.  Though, when it came up for auction again last year, I did decide at that point to pick it up.  

The comics that roped me into the hobby was Uncanny X-Men #172 (I acquired the cover after a long search in 2014, and have acquired many interiors as well over the years) and Marvel Feature v. 2 #1 feat. Red Sonja (have been searching for this one for years).  Reading the conclusion of the X-Men in Japan storyline in UXM #173 (I own a number of interiors) really cemented my interest in comics.  Those issues, though, were all borrowed from two friends; I decided to take the plunge into buying and collecting comics myself with the purchase of Uncanny X-Men #176 (I acquired the cover to this one in 2014 as well).

The UXM #173 cover isn't going anywhere, but, I'd love to get the MF v. 2 #1 cover to add to my first ballot nostalgia hall of fame collection!  In fact, the majority of my remaining hobby wants are covers to comics that I read in the 1983-84 timeframe (e.g., Thor #339, Defenders #125, G.I. Joe #21, and pieces that are now likely unfortunately out of reach even if they did become available, e.g., Secret Wars #1, ASM #252, etc.)

Edited by delekkerste

7 hours ago, vodou said:

For most of us our first comic was our first English (and probably only) language comic, so you're hinting at a story begging to be told ;) 

Well not really, just what I was saying in that my first exposure to comics was in Europe where it was like the sunday funnies and I never thought twice just enjoyed them and then kind of forgot about them.     In North America when we moved here a friend gave me that Wolverine and I got introduced to not only North American comics but also the whole collecting side of comics.    So for me it just feels like there were two 'firsts' in a way.

I was lucky enough to have my wife buy me the cover to what I think was the very first book I bought myself (or at least close - my parents had given me some before that I think) two years ago.  It happened to be hanging in a local comic shop and I'd showed it to her.  She went in without me knowing and convinced the owner to sell it to her for me.

Superman 121 - Cover - resized small.jpg

Superman 121.jpg

Edited by Thawk

Well not really, just what I was saying in that my first exposure to comics was in Europe where it was like the sunday funnies and I never thought twice just enjoyed them and then kind of forgot about them.     In North America when we moved here a friend gave me that Wolverine and I got introduced to not only North American comics but also the whole collecting side of comics.    So for me it just feels like there were two 'firsts' in a way.

I understand, what I meant was I didn't know you started off in Europe, just assumed Canadian born 'n bred! (cue: and that's what happens when you assume...)

1 hour ago, Thawk said:

I was lucky enough to have my wife buy me the cover to what I think was the very first book I bought myself (or at least close - my parents had given me some before that I think) two years ago.  It happened to be hanging in a local comic shop and I'd showed it to her.  She went in without me knowing and convinced the owner to sell it to her for me.

Superman 121.jpg

That is just great, all around, I like the art too!

12 hours ago, Thawk said:

Superman 121.jpg

Congratulations;  this a very powerful cover.
I don't remember see it before...