• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To public consideration...

18 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, malvin said:

You can't force him to sell. But you could leave a negative 

The id looked familiar, I previously bought underpriced art from him because it was in the wrong category 

Malvin 

Actually No, I cannot leave a negative,
but this is a very SMALL community
and reputation is everything...

That's a shame for the seller to back out like that. I remember seeing this piece pop up in my saved searches. His marketing wasn't all that poor, and he did the "right" thing by ending the auction on a Sunday evening. He even had 11 bidders. This is to say that it didn't really go under the radar and if your winning bid was $66, then that's what it's "worth." I'm not sure what he thought it was going to end at? $500? It's just another hard lesson (or, tuition) about the "real" value of art. 

Just as aside, this is another example of Eduardo Barretto being undervalued, as Brian Peck just stated in the "Underappreciated Art" thread. 

Either put a reserve on the auction (and 'scare away' some number of bidders) or start your minimum bid at something you could live with - it isn't that hard. If they do this type of thing it is just an example of trying to have their cake and eat it to, you can't trust people like that in my experience.

Thanks for the heads up.

36 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Actually No, I cannot leave a negative,
but this is a very SMALL community
and reputation is everything...

hmm.. I'm surprised you can't.  Unless you accepted the cancellation.  I don't think you have to accept the cancellation.

Malvin

58 minutes ago, malvin said:

hmm.. I'm surprised you can't.  Unless you accepted the cancellation.  I don't think you have to accept the cancellation.

Malvin

I did not accepted the cancelation.
(Actually it was never offer as an option to me)
The only reason I can keep track of this mess is by my Email Account...

8 hours ago, malvin said:

Malvin

I think that would be a breach of contract and you should contact eBay. You can probably sue him, although, the cost would be nuts.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think that would be a breach of contract and you should contact eBay. You can probably sue him, although, the cost would be nuts.

Bidders don't pay for their items all the time, and it's not uncommon for sellers not to sell what they sold. If the OP wanted to, he could call up eBay and complain, eBay would then review eBay message exchanges, and from there they may decide to put a strike on the seller's account and suspend him *if he keeps doing it*. The problem is that if the OP happened to have violated eBay policy through the messaging, by say, offering to pay outside of eBay, then he would get a strike too. Either way, what frustrates a lot of users about eBay is that there are a lot of bad actors who operate with impunity.

If a seller refuses to sell, you can leave a negative, at least that was the way it was before.  Ebay can't allow sellers to refuse to sell without some sort of consequence (even a negative) otherwise it would all fall apart.

Malvin

20 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Bidders don't pay for their items all the time, and it's not uncommon for sellers not to sell what they sold. If the OP wanted to, he could call up eBay and complain, eBay would then review eBay message exchanges, and from there they may decide to put a strike on the seller's account and suspend him *if he keeps doing it*. The problem is that if the OP happened to have violated eBay policy through the messaging, by say, offering to pay outside of eBay, then he would get a strike too. Either way, what frustrates a lot of users about eBay is that there are a lot of bad actors who operate with impunity.

It doesn't matter what eBay policy is. A contract is a contract. You can sue for breach of contract. Try filing suit and sending it to eBay. That ought to get their attention.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:

Bidders don't pay for their items all the time, and it's not uncommon for sellers not to sell what they sold. If the OP wanted to, he could call up eBay and complain, eBay would then review eBay message exchanges, and from there they may decide to put a strike on the seller's account and suspend him *if he keeps doing it*.

Correct.

23 hours ago, malvin said:

If a seller refuses to sell, you can leave a negative, at least that was the way it was before.  Ebay can't allow sellers to refuse to sell without some sort of consequence (even a negative) otherwise it would all fall apart.

I believe there are 2 different scenarios, both of which have happened to me:

1. Buyer pays, then Seller cancels order. Buyer is able to leave negative feedback (which I certainly did, vehemently).

2. Seller cancels order before Buyer pays. Buyer is unable to leave feedback. Buyer is not given the option to 'accept' the cancellation.

Scenario 2 occurred recently. I phoned both eBay and PayPal to request their assistance in persuading the Seller to honour the transaction, whilst listing the full facts and supporting statements in my eBay messages with the Seller. Fortunately, the Seller eventually shipped the item to me.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, malvin said:

You can't force him to sell. But you could leave a negative 

The id looked familiar, I previously bought underpriced art from him because it was in the wrong category 

Malvin 

I don't know about that. If they put it up for sale, without conditions....or the condition for non-sale was not met (such as a reserve not being met), I'm not sure how a seller can just cancel a sale for no reason. Buyers cant do that! They can't just decide they paid too much, and back out of the deal unilaterally. They can only do it with the agreement of the seller. This seems like a contracted for sale, where the buyer is entitled to the benefit of the bargain he struck, unless there were some condition place don the sale that made it contingent