• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some thoughts on the cover of X-Men 1
4 4

84 posts in this topic

Iceman's poor aim with his snowballs is deceptive.

He's actually throwing iron ball bearings covered in ice, but made the mistake of magnetising them with the same polarity as the field he's throwing them at, leading to the snowballs being harmlessly deflected away at close range.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I don't actually think that Jean Grey looks too bad there.

I mean, compare it to the three posers at the foot of this cover...

12942_20100911172326_large.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

I don't actually think that Jean Grey looks that bad there.

I mean, compare it to the three posers at the foot of this cover...

12942_20100911172326_large.jpg

That's three of the worst attempts at 'live long and prosper' that I've ever seen Ken spkyrll.gif.638cdf835be2d313422d3fcd1395ea10.gif

Lets go back to the early 60's...

They Are Comic Books!!!

They were not printed to be fine works of art or New York Times bestsellers.

They were printed to grab the attention of pre-teen/teenage boys for reading entertainment only and considered throwaways...

Again...

They Are Comic Books!!!

13 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I’ve always wondered where this fight was taking place in order for Beast to have that strategically placed swing available from which to mount his attack...

13 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I’ve always wondered where this fight was taking place in order for Beast to have that strategically placed swing available from which to mount his attack...

Batman and Spiderman are frequent beneficiaries of phantom tethering posts as well.

The cover to X-Men 1 was what got me back into collecting about 10 years or so ago.  I walked into a shop with a friend for the first time in a decade.  The owner had a copy and it got me hooked.  About a month later, the copy was mine.  Some may think it a little hokey, but it will always hold a special place for me.  :cloud9:

13 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

wondered if that was an edit - there's space in the white background to show the wavy lines that Kirby often used to delineate her powers). 

I once saw this with MG having a kind of mono line lightning bolt coming from her head to Magneto, with an explanation about it being removed to reduce visual clutter or something like that. This is useless without a source, but if you’re the kind of guy who trusts vague memories of random strangers on the internet, there’s your answer!

11 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Nothing turns me off to someone's opinions on X-Men faster than calling Cyclops a richard.  The Professor was the jerk in the Silver Age, then Wolverine until they fleshed him out with Alpha Flight.

:gossip: there can be more than one jerk

13 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

The cover to X-Men 1 was what got me back into collecting about 10 years or so ago.  I walked into a shop with a friend for the first time in a decade.  The owner had a copy and it got me hooked.  About a month later, the copy was mine.  Some may think it a little hokey, but it will always hold a special place for me.  :cloud9:

XM1 is a fine book, I wish I still had my copy. Doesn’t mean we can’t poke fun at it though

10 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Of the “mega key” covers, it’s one of my least favorite (ASM1, AV1, TOS39 are worse).  A few bonus points for some Kirby dynamism.  Not his best effort.  

I don't know, I've always liked TOS39.  I'm no GA expert, but to me it's reminiscent of the Golden Age style of cover.

52 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

I once saw this with MG having a kind of mono line lightning bolt coming from her head to Magneto, with an explanation about it being removed to reduce visual clutter or something like that. This is useless without a source, but if you’re the kind of guy who trusts vague memories of random strangers on the internet, there’s your answer!

I have heard this also, as well as a rumor that the "full" cover did appear in a promotional ad at some point, but I have yet to see that picture, or had the time to track it down. 

12 minutes ago, drotto said:
1 hour ago, Mackenzie999 said:

I have heard this also, as well as a rumor that the "full" cover did appear in a promotional ad at some point, but I have yet to see that picture, or had the time to track it down. 

xmen1-from-ff19-sept1963.jpg

3 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

xmen1-from-ff19-sept1963.jpg

Thanks though I had seen it at some point.  This makes Marvel Girl's pose make a lot more sense.  Frankly, I think it is a better cover this way. Even if the change is subtly it takes away the field of white effect in the published cover.

Edited by drotto

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

Thanks though I had seen it at some point.  This makes Marvel Girl's pose make a lot more sense.  Frankly, I think it is a better cover this way. Even if the change is subtly it takes away the field of white effect in the published cover.

They used it here, without the white. A bit more colourful isn't it:

amazing+adventures.jpg

2 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:
15 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

wondered if that was an edit - there's space in the white background to show the wavy lines that Kirby often used to delineate her powers). 

Yeah, I've probably seen this as well.  Further proof that (my) thoughts are rarely original, even if I sometimes believe they are.  :smile:

4 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Yeah, I've probably seen this as well.  Further proof that (my) thoughts are rarely original, even if I sometimes believe they are.  :smile:

Image result for memories you're talking about memories