• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some thoughts on the cover of X-Men 1
4 4

84 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

Another version with Jean’s power visible:

841F0E03-30BE-4D63-A2F6-5E4C76D3B769.jpeg

That's pretty cool.  What country is that from ?  I see the price is $1.00 so it probably is not from 1963 eh ?

Not really sure what Hank is thinking he's going to do once he lets go of that swing...I mean, optic blasts are bouncing off of Maggy's shield and while i suspect he can probably punch harder than a thrown snowball, I'm not convinced he's going to do more than Cyclops is already failing at doing.

Angel is probably the weakest "top-level" hero in the Silver Age.  I think if one were to order all the SA Marvel heroes from top to bottom in terms of overall power, he's going to be in between Patsy Walker and Rick Jones.  Honestly, he should be drawn standing off to the sides and holding some pom-poms or a megaphone, because that's basically all he's bringing to the table

I remember always being confused by this cover, even when I first saw it as a kid...mainly 1) Iceman seemingly throwing snowballs past Magneto, yet hitting his barrier; 2) the fact that Angel has a bazooka (I can't recall, did he even have one in the book itself?); 3) Jean's random "drunken stagger"pose; and 4) where Beast was swinging from with that swing.

It confused me almost as much as Mr. Fantastic deciding that it was a better use of his powers to stretch and untie himself from ropes on the cover of FF 1 rather than just, you know, stretch out of them entirely.

8 hours ago, Cocomonkey said:

2) the fact that Angel has a bazooka

Would a metal bazooka shell simply bounce off Magneto’s protective field, or would it explode, likely killing Cyclops, Beast, Iceman and Angel, and at least severely maiming Marvel Girl, standing a little further back?

A very short-running series.

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Would a metal bazooka shell simply bounce off Magneto’s protective field, or would it explode, likely killing Cyclops, Beast, Iceman and Angel, and at least severely maiming Marvel Girl, standing a little further back?

A very short-running series.

Almost the worst X-Man...almost...

Image result for the worst x-man ever

I mean, Jubilee is clearly much worse.

Hey it’s not one of Kirby’s best covers but I don’t think it’s terrible either.

Look at it this way at least the X-Men are actually on the cover with Magneto in their first appearance (sorry Prof X). Poor old Dr. Strange is not even on the cover in his first appearance in Strange Tales #110 (hell, he isn’t even mentioned on the cover). On top of that at least Wonder Woman got a pretty good cover with All Star #8 but Doc gets stuck with a pretty lame Paste Pot Pete/Wizard standing combo while the Torch flies around his mirror prison. Candidate right there for one of the worst covers for a first appearance of a pretty major SA character.

Compared to Doc’s intro X-Men #1 looks like gold...

5 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

love the cover of X-men #1 and the way the Iceman was drawn <3

A bit like how the Human Torch was in the earliest FFs, still needing to refine the control of his power, and rougher-looking than later on.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

love the cover of X-men #1 and the way the Iceman was drawn <3

If his name was Snowman I'd agree with you. And I also love this cover, because it makes me laugh. 

And I mean no disrespect for Kirby, he's the king and I've owned this book in the past (paid a whole $40 for a mid grade copy). I just believe in calling a spade a spade.