• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disillusioned noob here, not sure if I have the right to be pissed with a failed transaction or not.
1 1

22 posts in this topic

So once this multiple man movie was announced, I thought huh, that could be kinda cool, and went out of looking for a copy of his first issues, as I am sure many did.

So I find one on this "atomic avenue" site, VF, 40$, im like cool, and pull the trigger.

The seller waits a few days, and cancels with the explanation she cant find it.

Now I am torn, if I were said seller, I would have shipped. Thats the game right? 

Does this happen often? Is this a seller I should encourage people to avoid? (I wont so dont worry mods)

Just bummed, felt like my first victory at this, and I ate dirt.

Edited by Dick_Wingnut

10 minutes ago, Dick_Wingnut said:

Nosir, it was this Atomic Avenue site that is a front end for third party sellers.

Getting miffed about one purchase is the sure way to insanity.   I purchase on ebay all the time and while "I can't find it" isn't the most common nuisance, the amount of mis-graded, not-as-described, nonsense will drive a soft soul nuts.  Move on.

From your descripton, it's hard to tell if you "ate dirt" or not.  It is possible that it really was misplaced, it's also possible that the owner pulled the book from the sale in the hope of selling it for more money. Keep an eye on the website for awhile, if the same book shows up later at a higher price, you'll know exactly what happened.  In that case, you should contact the seller immediately and remind them that you agreed to purchase the book for $40.00, and since the book has been found you would like to complete the original transaction.  If they refuse, you'll know to avoid them in the future.

Quite a number of posts on the boards about books 'going missing', or being removed from sale soon after a film announcement.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Atomic Avenue is the selling mechanism for individuals who use comic base software (as I do) to track their collection. Thus, your sellers on Atomic Avenue may be fellow hobbyists such as myself. I have never sold through Atomic Avenue, but have bought a few books that were all good experiences. The chief issue with Atomic Avenue is there are no scans of the books. They do give sellers demerits that affect their overall "military rank" but I don't know what would happen in the case of a seller saying they can't locate a book.

2 hours ago, Ottobord said:

Ebay gives sellers a penalty for unfulfilled orders, I am not familiar with the site you mentioned they may do the same, you may need to research that.

Alas, I think the non-performing seller strikes have gone the way of the Dodo.   Once a seller refunds your money there is no longer a web-mechanism to complain about anything, except to call eBay.

On the few occasions I've won an Ebay auction at a price I knew was a "steal", I've followed up with the seller separately after he shipped to thank him for being an upstanding seller and shipping. Not that they're doing me a "favor" following through on a deal that they're supposed to (it should be the expectation), but we all know that there are sellers out there who will conveniently "misplace the item" and not ship when an auction doesn't go well for seller, so I do try to at least acknowledge that I know they *could've* done something else (without saying so explicitly).

I'll say something like... "Just wanted to say thanks for shipping this out quickly and packaging well. I know you were probably hoping the book went for a higher price than it did, but appreciate you following through promptly."

Yeah, last year this seller gave me the 'can't find the Star Wars 1' bs excuse because I got a good deal.   Think it was $20 or 30 cheaper than the market and I got lucky.

That type of reneging is even more bothersome to me than the 'the new movie news price hike means I listed it too low' type of jerk.  You're right to be bothered, but as one boardie mentioned, best to move on and not sweat it too much. 

Last week finally bought a Star Wars 1 at great price from greg reece's thread, but it has a popped staple.  Heh.

Untitled.thumb.png.aa97632c1781b84a8393fc9335dce137.png

Edited by grebal
give it time and that GS FF will come back to earth, I still need 3, 4, 5

10 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

Keep an eye on the website for awhile, if the same book shows up later at a higher price, you'll know exactly what happened.  In that case, you should contact the seller immediately and remind them that you agreed to purchase the book for $40.00, and since the book has been found you would like to complete the original transaction.  If they refuse, you'll know to avoid them in the future.

And, if this does happen, you should locate the sellers phone number.  You should then call the seller and say, "Look, sir or madam, you agreed to sell a book to me and then you did not follow through with the transaction.  This is not nice and you should not do that to people.  It is a mean thing to do and is very inconvenient" (say all of this in a firm tone).  Then, as you hang up the phone, look at yourself in the nearest mirror and let a sly smirk slide across your face as you wink at yourself and allow a quiet satisfaction to drift over your entire body like a cool evening fog.

<fade to black>

13 hours ago, Dick_Wingnut said:

So once this multiple man movie was announced, I thought huh, that could be kinda cool, and went out of looking for a copy of his first issues, as I am sure many did.

My first thought was that they sold it through another venue already, and didn't update the system yet.  When you want what everyone else wants when everyone else wants it, some people are going to miss out.  I have no sympathy for people chasing trends, so all I'm going to say is "get faster".

Did you get your money back? If so, then I would give them a pass and move on. Organizing comics for sale is a lot of work, and people make mistakes.

As a buyer, don't you feel you have the right to cancel an order once in a while? I would afford sellers the same privilege. Maybe there was nothing nefarious, and they simply weren't expecting a sudden rush on Multiple Man books.

There have been two occasions this year when I made a sale on eBay, and I couldn't find the book. :o In order to keep the seller happy, one time I had to pull a nicer copy from a my collection, and the other time I ordered a copy for them from MyComicShop.com with priority shipping! 

Edited by adampasz

On 11/22/2017 at 11:24 AM, Dick_Wingnut said:

So I find one on this "atomic avenue" site, VF, 40$, im like cool, and pull the trigger.

The seller waits a few days, and cancels with the explanation she cant find it.

Now I am torn, if I were said seller, I would have shipped. Thats the game right? 

Does this happen often? Is this a seller I should encourage people to avoid? (I wont so dont worry mods)

Just bummed, felt like my first victory at this, and I ate dirt.

Giant Size Fantastic Four 4 doesn't sell for $40, so you actually are the winner here.