• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner Bend Giant Size X-Men 1

11 posts in this topic

Noticed a corner bend on my 9.8 GSX 1

since I've had the book I've been critical... I've been checking past sales auctions of 9.8s and 1/5 have a right upper corner ding... a few others have bends to the right side of the page... is this acceptable within the grade? A common problem even with higher grades? Or damage to the book while in the holder at some point... those with a lot of experience please chime in... 

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

Edited by story cover & art by...

1 hour ago, story cover & art by... said:

Noticed a corner bend on my 9.8 GSX 1

since I've had the book I've been critical... I've been checking past sales auctions of 9.8s and 1/5 have a right upper corner ding... a few others have bends to the right side of the page... is this acceptable within the grade? A common problem even with higher grades? Or damage to the book while in the holder at some point... those with a lot of experience please chime in... 

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

Most likely happened in the holder.

14 hours ago, story cover & art by... said:

Breaks color sadly

This is very common with square bound books. Even the slightest overhang will bend if the book gets jostled in the slab. Since it breaks color, there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Is that the kind of thing that happens AFTER encapsulation or DURING encapsulation?

It could happen in either situation, IMO, most likely afterward. It's the old SCS syndrome in play here.

20 hours ago, story cover & art by... said:

Breaks color sadly

I don't know if you have the grader's notes but if there is no mention of this bend, I doubt there would be, you may be able to approach CGC about it. I can't see the whole book but the 'encapsulator' should have used a couple wedges to better hold the book in place. It's presently not a 9.8 and may never be again. Trust me, been there, done that, this flaw will forever bother you. You need to either approach CGC and try to get it fixed or move it. You will never be happy with it. Sorry. Whatever you do, DO NOT remove it from the holder and pray the slab itself never gets a crack. If a crack is present, the crack will be blamed for the 'damage' and would probably need to be regraded. Handle with care.