• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales threads - oh the waiting , and waiting, and waiting.
3 3

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Senormac said:
1 hour ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

As a collector, I have learned to let the books come to me. So, I don't seek the books out, I buy when I see something I want. The fun is in the hunt, no hurry.

I'm getting there.

I still enjoy the chase though.

I thought "seeking the books out" ...... was the hunt

There's a big difference between looking for a small number of specific items and just being a collector. There may be books I want more than others, but all of my purchases are based on opportunity, not focused searching.

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I just wait for a righteous bounty_coder thread, or a deal on deadones hard to ever resist sales thread.

My wife says I have 6 full magazine boxes that I do not need... So after the first of the year I'll have either a magazine sale or a wife swap. (shrug)

I love the sales threads here. Straight, fixed price and buying from friendly, reliable people. Seems like nearly everything I bid on EBay, I get outbid no matter how high I go. Plus the added factor of not getting what you expected. 

I have a specific want list but buy a lot of books here on impulse because I didn't know about them. I check off my want list quite often as well as the connections I make here. 

I love to sell here as well. Fast, easy and people who are easy to deal with. You get to know sellers that have what you want and like to deal with.

I rarely do the bay or the big auction houses any more. I don't need to...

10 hours ago, Senormac said:

Help me out here guys ( and gal) :grin: .......  

How is it that you buyers have enough time to sit around and wait/watch for whatever it is you are looking for to somehow appear and you be the first to :takeit:

Am I missing something ?  It's so random.  Say you are looking for a copy of Batman 74 in Fine.  The odds of  a Batman 74 in FINE coming up are astronomical.

I much prefer ebay or CLINK or Heritage or even the Virtual comic con here  where I can immediately see/find what I'm looking for and go get it, to the sales threads here.

And I'm not disparaging the sellers.  I think its awesome that they sell here.  I just don't get the buying part. 

It's like being a fish or a spider and waiting for your catch to come floating downstream or into your web. 

Are you guys all retired or something ?   

I guess I'm the "gal";) or one of them.

I used to shop on eBay all the time, I was addicted, I'd scour all the listings. There are too many now and WAY too many that are overpriced, and either strangely or deliberately overgraded. I just can't go through a few hundred thousand listings...

So I look here;) there are still some that are overpriced and still some that are overgraded, but it's a lot less stressful keeping up with a few pages than a few hundred K;)

Besides, we have some really nice sellers, it's more fun here most of the time;)

21 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
22 hours ago, Senormac said:
23 hours ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

As a collector, I have learned to let the books come to me. So, I don't seek the books out, I buy when I see something I want. The fun is in the hunt, no hurry.

I'm getting there.

I still enjoy the chase though.

I thought "seeking the books out" ...... was the hunt

There's a big difference between looking for a small number of specific items and just being a collector. There may be books I want more than others, but all of my purchases are based on opportunity, not focused searching.

Collection preferences set on "RANDOM" :baiting:

Does that mean you are not a "run collector" ?  

I can see how if you are looking for a Spider-Man #129 you might be willing to wait, cuz there are a zillion of them .  However if you are looking for a Tip Top #79 cuz it's a hole in your run, then you probably are more focused about it. 

Waiting in the sales threads for a Tip Top 79 to show up is pointless  :sorry:

14 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I guess I'm the "gal";) or one of them.

I used to shop on eBay all the time, I was addicted, I'd scour all the listings. There are too many now and WAY too many that are overpriced, and either strangely or deliberately overgraded. I just can't go through a few hundred thousand listings...

You ARE the gal Sha   :foryou:

As for the number of listings.....  How many runs are you working on anyways ?!!  A hundred thousand ?  :whatthe:

I have like 3.  When I get those finished, I'll consider working on something else. 

Of course my sig line books are stuff I picked up while on random

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

You ARE the gal Sha   :foryou:

As for the number of listings.....  How many runs are you working on anyways ?!!  A hundred thousand ?  :whatthe:

I have like 3.  When I get those finished, I'll consider working on something else. 

Of course my sig line books are stuff I picked up while on random

LOL...I've been liberating a lot of my BA/SA books lately, but at one time I had full or almost full runs of pretty much every DC series (BA/SA not Gold) and some Marvels, too. I just keep going back in time;) I'm in the GA now;)

I have no idea how many, but a LOT;)

5 hours ago, Senormac said:

Collection preferences set on "RANDOM" :baiting:

Not really, I just have a large collection.

Does that mean you are not a "run collector" ?  

It definitely doesn't mean that.

I can see how if you are looking for a Spider-Man #129 you might be willing to wait, cuz there are a zillion of them .  However if you are looking for a Tip Top #79 cuz it's a hole in your run, then you probably are more focused about it. 

I have a fairly large want list, don't collect junk just because it's "rare" and am in no big rush to finish any of my runs. 

Waiting in the sales threads for a Tip Top 79 to show up is pointless  :sorry:

I would agree with that. I don't know what I would do or where I would look if I only wanted a small number of specific non-common issues. Luckily, I don't have that issue (and don't want it :wink:).

On 11/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, Lazyboy said:

This. Opportunity. Lately, some fantastic stuff has been available. 

I love the marketplace here!  Most of the time I'm just sitting on the sidelines due to my budget but it's still very enjoyable to go through the listings and discover books I never knew existed.  Also, many sellers will work with you on a payment plan if that's what is needed.  Some of my most prized/GRAIL books have come from here.  Additionally, my one and only time I posted a WTB for an issue, I got offered a quad-signed example of the issue!  I still check eBay daily but don't expect eBay BIN prices to be reasonable.  Most of the books I'm looking for aren't ultra rare so I know if I miss one in a sales thread another copy will come around in due time :preach:

13 hours ago, GoldCap said:

I love the marketplace here!  Most of the time I'm just sitting on the sidelines due to my budget but it's still very enjoyable to go through the listings and discover books I never knew existed.  Also, many sellers will work with you on a payment plan if that's what is needed.  Some of my most prized/GRAIL books have come from here.  Additionally, my one and only time I posted a WTB for an issue, I got offered a quad-signed example of the issue!  I still check eBay daily but don't expect eBay BIN prices to be reasonable.  Most of the books I'm looking for aren't ultra rare so I know if I miss one in a sales thread another copy will come around in due time :preach:

If what you are looking for is anything like the Cap books in your sig line......  you might be waiting longer than you think !!  Awesome row you got there

I recently decided to stop buying for awhile. 

The time difference definitely is a massive problem (people off of work on the east coast are posting while we are still working). 

No point in wasting my time.  Especially with one buyer in particular being the most troublesome. 

Patrick