• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies many love that you hate
1 1

27 posts in this topic

You just can’t understand it, boggles your mind. So tell us why you hated (and if that’s too strong) didn’t like that certain movie that critics or us nerds here rave about.

I’ll start with some recent films.

Wonder Woman. Meh, barely passable to me with a lame final battle. 

Spider-Man Homecoming. Keaton was awesome but I was not impressed with the movie at all and Downey added to killing it. I loved his portrayal of Stark in the first Iron Man but now he’s just annoying.

As a bonus, I can’t stand Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. Sometimes it sounds like she’s reading her lines off the -script for the first time. And she’s not playing Black Widow, she’s playing Scarlett dressed as Black Widow. I did really enjoy her in Lost in Translation and Ghost World though.

28 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

There’s many of the marvel ones where I’m left perplexed at how much love they receive

i feel asleep during Dr Strange and Ant Man. 

Marvels humor formula usually turns me off and just comes across as jokes for kids with a few exceptions. And I guess that’s fine if kids are the target audience. But I did like Dr Strange and Ant Man and never read a single comic about those characters. I enjoyed those two movies more than both Avengers.

Edited by Reader

I hated Spider Man Homecoming, and who was this MJ? It isn't the one I remember!

Why was Tony Stark in the movie? You might as well call him Iron Spidey.

The whole story just laid flat for me. Although Keaton was the only watchable thing about the movie.

Johanson was awesome in Lost in Translation, as was Bill Murray.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

I don't watch any of the movies in these franchises Star Wars, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Transformers, Fast & Furious etc...there may be others that I'm forgetting.  hm

Wow, really? That's sad. There's drek but also some great stuff in there. 

'Hate' may be excessive a word, but dislike or less-impressed maybe.

The Incredible Hulk. Marvel missed the boat here with the actor selected. Edward Norton came across as not truly embracing the Bruce Banner role like Eric Bana had in the Hulk movie. And they seemed to rush in an equally dangerous villain, versus slowly easing its world into viewing Hulk into being perceived as unstoppable. Otherwise, creatures like this would be popping up constantly.

It would have been better with General Ross seething in the end that regular measures didn't work, and then some extreme plan is proposed leading to dangerous counter-measure. The Abomination was too easy an answer up front.

Skyfall - Over blown, over hyped nonsense everyone thinks is a great James Bond film. Nope, not in a million years, Skyfall is nothing more then a bunch of flashy looking scenes tied together with a plot that has more holes in it than swiss cheese and an ending that is like watching Home Alone!

Spectre - Great 15 minutes followed by more of the same from Skyfall, from the whiney Sam Smith song to the most laborious car chase commited to film, a terrible Blofeld, two leads with zero chemistry and James Bond yet again walking away from the service, yawn. The only good thing was Batista and he had no lines!
Edited by bane

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

'Hate' may be excessive a word, but dislike or less-impressed maybe.

The Incredible Hulk. Marvel missed the boat here with the actor selected. Edward Norton came across as not truly embracing the Bruce Banner role like Eric Bana had in the Hulk movie. And they seemed to rush in an equally dangerous villain, versus slowly easing its world into viewing Hulk into being perceived as unstoppable. Otherwise, creatures like this would be popping up constantly.

It would have been better with General Ross seething in the end that regular measures didn't work, and then some extreme plan is proposed leading to dangerous counter-measure. The Abomination was too easy an answer up front.

A weak Marvel movie. The CGI wasn't very good, Hulk looked all shiny all of the time, Tim Roth was great but that's about it. 

I still find the scene where Tim Roth is running very fast across the park to be so laughable! 

6 minutes ago, bane said:

A weak Marvel movie. The CGI wasn't very good, Hulk looked all shiny all of the time, Tim Roth was great but that's about it. 

I still find the scene where Tim Roth is running very fast across the park to be so laughable! 

You mean when he is running away from the creature that can jump mountains and hop across valleys, yet he is outpacing The Hulk? Flipping all over the place while he shoots Hulk in the face.

Independence day was so stupid that i stopped watching it after a half hour and it was actually a perfect gauge for me to be able to tell about another persons tastes

the whole west coast is being destroyed with millions upon millions dead and we are supposed to be concerned about if a dog is going to live or die....

i would ask someone if they thought Independence day was a good movie and if they said yes , i would say- "oh really... thank you" and from that point on i knew that person was never going to suggest a movie to me again

Sticking with comic book movies, and the "many love" theme, two fairly recent movies that come to mind are Dr. Strange and Avengers 2. I pretty much only see the superhero movies that get better reviews, as I get bored with a lot of blockbuster franchise movies - they are predictable, lack real suspense, and are bloated CGI fests for the most part.  The "just empty your mind and enjoy the ride" argument doesn't cut it any more for me, maybe it's my age, I no longer enjoy rollercoasters either, and I also feel like I've seen it all before.  That said, if they are well done, with a modicum of freshness and invention, I can still enjoy a good superhero movie, I'm not a total curmudgeon.

Dr. Strange got amazing reviews, and I respect Cumberbatch as an actor.  That this wasn't your typical costumed hero was an opportunity for something interesting, and that's what reviews lead me to believe happened, but it was the same drawn out origin of a reluctant hero  who has to find out who he really is, leading to same over the top mission to prevent the end of the world, resolved by the same bit of convenient invention or magic that the hero figures out how to use in the last seconds. When a writer feels the need to up the stakes to the point where the fate of the world depends on the hero's actions, it's usually because there is no faith the audience will care enough about the characters to settle for something smaller.

I found the first Avengers movie a bit overrated, but it had enough humor and engaging interplay between the characters to keep me entertained. The second one just felt like a warmed over rehash of the first, with worse writing, more plot contrivances, and substituting robots for aliens at the end.

Edited by rjpb

11 hours ago, bababooey said:

I don't watch any of the movies in these franchises Star Wars, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Transformers, Fast & Furious etc...there may be others that I'm forgetting.  hm

I'm pretty much with you on these. I enjoyed the first SW trilogy, stayed away from the second based on reviews alone, and thought I'd give it another chance with the fist of the third trilogy - I won't be watching any more. Saw the first couple Harry Potter movies with my kids, and then told them they were on their own - actually pretty well made, but not my cup of tea. Hunger Games -  my eldest daughter loved these books, and I've heard the first movie is pretty good - but just haven't gotten around to seeing it. Transformers - another franchise I watched the first couple of with my kids - I enjoyed the first one to some degree- though perhaps because my kids were having so much fun watching it. After the second one, even they were done with the franchise. Fast and Furious - the first one was okay, but not so good I wanted to see more, though the part of me that loved demolition derby as a child has me wondering if I might not be entertained by some of the more recent ones.

Lord of the Rings - I got as bored of "The Rings" on screen as quickly as I had with the books when I was teenager and my brother insisted I read them. As someone I knew at the time said of watching the first LoTR movie - "Every time I woke up it was another sword fight". 

Doctor Strange - I felt Kevin Feige and the Marvel execs had a meeting and said, "Imagine Gregory House gained mystical powers and had been put in that Inception film by Chris Nolan, bam we have a movie!"

I like Cumberbatch, he was great in Immitation Game, fantastic in Star Trek Into Darkness but here I really didn't care. I thought the whole movie was rather bland, had to laugh that everyone is running around making circles with their hands. Mad's Mikkelson was the big bad for 90% of the movie but wasn't because right at the end its Dormamu, while that scene was kind of cool and how he beat him was good it just throws away everything Mad's character just did.

The humour in the movie didn't work for me at all. IMO the only standout actor was Chiwetel Ejiofor, I liked his story arc and where he ended up at the end of the movie.

After watching Doctor Strange I thought it was a totally forgettable movie that didn't require any repeat viewings.
Edited by bane

Star Wars the force awakens... outright one of the worst most unimaginative movies I've ever seen.

I grew up with the originals and I understand in retrospect they weren't the most wonderfully written movies and had plot holes but in the context of their time these were world changing movies.

I don't want to spoil too much for those who somehow haven't seen it... The force awakens basically had the same plot as episode 4, Luke was a girl, Han Solo was African American and Darth Vader was now an emo kid.

The movie ran amok on the loosest of threads from one astronomically impossible coincidence to the next (crash landing within walking distance of the millennium falcon etc).

I can only suspend so much disbelief or accept that "the force" willed all these things to happen.

Plot holes... too many to list them all but the most egregious was the whole galaxy is looking for 2 kids and a bb8 robot... so you just walk into that bar with the robot for no reason, when you coulda left it in the falcon...

Death Star now kills 5 planets at once... there was no intergalactic UN paying attention to what the first order was building after that whole alderon thing??

I gotta stop myself, but to conclude my rant, and I know someone will wanna put a tin foil hat on me for this... but I would not be surprised to find out that Disney paid all 200 rotten tomatoes reviewers $100,000 each to give it a great review.  What's 20 mil to kickstart your franchise reboot and the billions in gate receipts and merchandising that you'll get from doing so.