• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration Removal Process/Cost

7 posts in this topic

I have a question about the restoration removal process and cost.  I recently received a graded comic book back from CGC.  It was graded and a small amount of color touch was found on the front cover in two places.  The restoration was categorized as B-1.

If I send the book in for restoration removal and CGC determines it is a candidate for restoration removal, does the restoration removal service cover the cost of regrading and encapsulating the book or will I have to pay CGC again for regrading and encapsulating the book?  I hope that makes sense.  Any help would be appreciated.

Two different services and technically two different companies.  CCS and CGC. Both owned by CCG. But still two different companies.  You pay CCS for the restoration removal. You pay CGC for grading and encapsulation.  Two different bills. You pay for both. 

Welcome to the boards! 

Edited by Tony S

Tony thank you for the information and thank you for the warm welcome!  Do you have any idea how the process works.  Does CCS send the book over to CGC after they are finished with it or does CCS send it back and I would have to send it into CGC to have the book graded again?

14 hours ago, drjmd3426 said:

Tony thank you for the information and thank you for the warm welcome!  Do you have any idea how the process works.  Does CCS send the book over to CGC after they are finished with it or does CCS send it back and I would have to send it into CGC to have the book graded again?

CCS will walk it across the hall to CGC for you.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:32 AM, drjmd3426 said:

If CCS is able to remove the color touch successfully from a comic book, will it receive a Universal Blue label or will it get a Blue/Grey Conserved label when graded by CGC?

removing the CT -- will get a blue label. BUT - you will also likely get a lower grade. The common method for removing CT - is abrading the area to scratch off the ink. This will leave the book in a condition no better thane before the CT was added - and also probably a little worse off. Depends on the initial grade how far it might fall. Something in the 3-4 range with a couple added scrapes - could be no hit at all. 9.0? --- might drop at least a full point...