• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POLL: Would you press or restore a pedigree comic? I would not...
2 2

Pedigree and provenance comics. Would you press them?   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Pedigree and provenance comics. Would you press them?

• Yes. For any reason.
    • No.

24 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I don't care about the pressing issue one way or the other, but from a logical standpoint I'd say there is a fallacy in the original premise.  Unless the original collection just surfaced very recently and is being sold directly by the original owner, none of these pedigrees still has their original "integrity".  No matter how careful a chain of owners are, things happen over the years and decades... especially so with older pedigrees that were sold and re-sold in the pre-slab era.  Every Church copy that left the relatively dry climate of Colorado and was moved to a far more humid state was immediately and irrevocably altered.  Every pedigree mailed across the country in hot trucks and train cars has been altered.  Every book passed through half a dozen collectors and handled by a series of graders has been altered.  Are you preserving the integrity of a corner bump that the original owner placed there, or one that occurred years later?  Is that an Edgar Church fingerprint... of one from somebody in 1997?  Again... everyone should make up their own mind how they want their collection to be treated... but it's probably good to remember that none of these items is sealed in a time vacuum.

These are great points, and I see your logic. Thanks for the input.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Here's an example of what can happen with a pressed Pedigree. If you are not familiar with the Winnipeg pedigree the SA books had the owner's signature neatly written on the top. The first image is of it's original state. Look at the signature on the second, pressed image. The ink is now smeared and ugly. How can anyone consider this an original pedigree anymore ? BTW, CGC did not care and actually gave the smeared fugly copy a higher grade. Sad.

imageproxy.jpeg

imageproxy (1).jpeg

that is what I'm talking about, terrible 

While I think not pressing a pedigree (or any comic) is a noble thing to say, fact is once you sell it, whoever buys it may not share the same sentiment.  Even if you are lucky enough to find someone that buys it who is locking it away forever in their private collection (which is code for" I won't sell it any sooner than the lead times on having it dry cleaned, pressed, and reholdered with a bigger number on the label").  I am not a fan of pressing just because it is being done by a ton of people, many who are not that good and you see tons of graded books with poor press jobs with big numbers on the label. 

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Here's an example of what can happen with a pressed Pedigree. If you are not familiar with the Winnipeg pedigree the SA books had the owner's signature neatly written on the top. The first image is of it's original state. Look at the signature on the second, pressed image. The ink is now smeared and ugly. How can anyone consider this an original pedigree anymore ? BTW, CGC did not care and actually gave the smeared fugly copy a higher grade. Sad.

imageproxy (1).jpeg

Yeah. That sucks. 

To be fair, that didn't happen with the actual pressing...it happened when it was improperly humidified. The same hack job was performed on a bunch of White Mountains, which now have ink bleed from the pen arrival dates.