• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creep Engine Version of New CGC Slabs

28 posts in this topic

I just got a CGC book in and it was in the  "creep engine" old version of the new slab.

The book looks like it suffered from the containment in the creep engine all this time.

Is there anything CGC is doing to rectify books that are/have been damaged in these slabs?

I'm not the submitter or anything, just the one eating the poo pie at this point. :sorry: 

Any assistance or advice would be most appreciated.

I'm at a loss what do you mean by "creep engine"? I've had some books that don't look centered in the slab.... It kind of looks like they just threw it in there meh the book fans  a little though 

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm at a loss what do you mean by "creep engine"? I've had some books that don't look centered in the slab.... It kind of looks like they just threw it in there meh the book fans  a little though 

The old version of the new slabs without the inner well put pressure on the outer edges of the book. Over time the book was pushed inward, causing rippling in the book. I think it was @chromium who had the diagram, if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

The old version of the new slabs without the inner well put pressure on the outer edges of the book. Over time the book was pushed inward, causing rippling in the book. I think it was @chromium who had the diagram, if I remember correctly.

Oh that's what those were called, I thought they quit using those according to cgc June 30th 2016 if I remember.... It started in April 2016.

When he said that he "got it in" but "wasn't the submitter" I got confused....

@lizards2 if you look up the certification date and it falls within that time frame perhaps cgc will take it as "proof" that they are liable.... I had all of mine reholdered last year and I don't think any of mine have come back like that since, so maybe cgc WILL do something...

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh that's what those were called, I thought they quit using those according to cgc June 30th 2016 if I remember.... It started in April 2016.

When he said that he "got it in" but "wasn't the submitter" I got confused....

@lizards2 if you look up the certification date and it falls within that time frame perhaps cgc will take it as "proof" that they are liable.... I had all of mine reholdered last year and I don't think any of mine have come back like that since, so maybe cgc WILL do something...

It doesn't have an inner well, so not sure what looking up the certification date (if I even knew how) would do for me.

I bought the book, and it came that way.

Just now, MustEatBrains said:

Ask them to press it while you are at it.

Yeah - that's the thing - I'd like to just crack it out and enjoy it, but I can tell I'm 95% sure it's f'd up. 

I guess I don't buy that it's been in this holder for a year and a half, all scrunched up, with no effect, and when I take it out, that the wrinkles will disappear, and  I won't be able to tell. 

Anyone had recent experience with cracking one of these out?  Did the wrinkles magically disappear?

"In no instances did this slightly wavy appearance cause or reflect any damage to a book."  According to CGC. 

Thanks for the link - it took me to this  https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=5383&

32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It doesn't have an inner well, so not sure what looking up the certification date (if I even knew how) would do for me.

I bought the book, and it came that way.

Well since your not the one who submitted the book I see your point, and I wasn't trying to be rude. I just thought if you looked up the cert date and it fell within the timeframe of cgc sending out cases without the inner well that they may feel liable in someway and make you a deal on a press is all. But since you don't plan to regrade the book in a slab, my point is moot :sorry:

I apologize :foryou:

As I've suffered from these books but didnt crack them out myself I'm of little help....and from what I hear with a press the book eventually returns to the original state. 

I guess the only thing to do is return it or crack it out hope for the best and if that doesn't jive then get it pressed 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

17 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

While my experience may or may not help,I had a x-men 1 in one the first gen new holders no inner.I swear it looked wavy.once it was out of the slab,it was completely flat.it was in the case for almost a year.

hm  Thanks..., 

I bought a cgc book that had same problem and I was not original person that submitted book. Regarless cgc had no issue reholdering book and paid for shipping.  The book looks fine now. But hasn't been stuck in that position for last year and a half either due to reholder.  If you want cgc to fix issue and have press. It needs to stay in slab.  I cannot say for certain with it being squeezed for last year and a half that it will correct itself. Paper has a memory. If it is not severe then I would think over time it should be fine. But if it is more severe you may want as stated above to send it to cgc to press and reholder it. Afterwards you can take out and enjoy. 

13 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - that's the thing - I'd like to just crack it out and enjoy it, but I can tell I'm 95% sure it's f'd up. 

I guess I don't buy that it's been in this holder for a year and a half, all scrunched up, with no effect, and when I take it out, that the wrinkles will disappear, and  I won't be able to tell. 

Anyone had recent experience with cracking one of these out?  Did the wrinkles magically disappear?

"In no instances did this slightly wavy appearance cause or reflect any damage to a book."  According to CGC. 

Thanks for the link - it took me to this  https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=5383&

At this point, I've had about 40 books reholdered that were in 1st generation new slabs - all were suffering from the creep engine issue. Some were only in the case for a month before a reholder, the oldest ones were in there for over a year - not a single one needed to be pressed when it was reholdered.

CGC is still reholdering these books for free, so just send it in & they'll take care of it.

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

At this point, I've had about 40 books reholdered that were in 1st generation new slabs - all were suffering from the creep engine issue. Some were only in the case for a month before a reholder, the oldest ones were in there for over a year - not a single one needed to be pressed when it was reholdered.

CGC is still reholdering these books for free, so just send it in & they'll take care of it.

Thanks - I'm thinking I'll probably just crack it out and see what I've got.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Thanks - I'm thinking I'll probably just crack it out and see what I've got.

I cracked a couple myself that I wanted to keep raw anyway - I let them sit overnight and the paper relaxed back to being flat. Hope that'll be the case for yours too (thumbsu

29 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

This all brings up a good point - page quality and paper quality.

Who's taking care of their books so that in 20 years they still look nice n fresh?

How many scarce books will become even scarcer over time due to deterioration?

Yeah - I look at the stuff I bought off the newsstands and at conventions 30-40 years ago compared to a lot of the stuff you see now. My original owner books are white and pure as the new snow. 

Many aren't taking very good care of their books.  I'm lucky that I have always lived in a climate that is very good for paper preservation.