• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time sending books to CGC
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys! It's my first time sending books off to be graded by the CGC and I just want to confirm that I am doing it properly so I had a couple of play-by-play questions to ask and was hoping someone could answer them for me.

I downloaded the PDF submission form. I went down the line and typed in book by book until I had 20 "modern age 1975-present" comic books. I then typed in the date, the publisher, and then under declared value I type what I believe the book is worth in ungraded form, correct?

I'll then print these forms out, send the appropriate ones in the box correctly and securely packed and pay to ship it to the CGC shipping address. Does the money for the CGC cost then come out of my checking account once they receive the books? How exactly does that work?

Also, should I do UPS or the USPS for shipping? Which would you recommend for 20 comic books?

Thanks.

Edited by mnaz1988

If you send them a check, it will come out of your checking account soon after they get the books.

The value is for insurance as long as you don't go over the tier amount.  If the graded comics get lost on the way back to you, you would at maximum get the value you put down.  Insurance is cheap.  Do you want to insure for the graded value or the raw value, it's up to you.

I usually send and receive to CGC via USPS Registered Mail.

One other thing, if possible I would use the online form - fill it in online, submit and then print it off once completed.  That way you can track your comics through the CGC process.  There are several stages of the grading process.   I do not believe you can do that if you print the PDF off, fill it in and submit.

Good luck with your grades. 

38 minutes ago, boatfund said:

If you send them a check, it will come out of your checking account soon after they get the books.

The value is for insurance as long as you don't go over the tier amount.  If the graded comics get lost on the way back to you, you would at maximum get the value you put down.  Insurance is cheap.  Do you want to insure for the graded value or the raw value, it's up to you.

I usually send and receive to CGC via USPS Registered Mail.

One other thing, if possible I would use the online form - fill it in online, submit and then print it off once completed.  That way you can track your comics through the CGC process.  There are several stages of the grading process.   I do not believe you can do that if you print the PDF off, fill it in and submit.

Good luck with your grades. 

Thank you for your information. The "declared value" is added for the CGC total, correct? It must be otherwise it wouldn't ask for "declared value" since I'd then have to cover the insurance at the USPS when I ship them out.

I'm just a newbie so it's still a little confusing. Also, how fast should I ship the books after submitting the submission forms? That day? The next day? Does the date on the form have to be the same as the date they are shipped?

8 hours ago, mnaz1988 said:

Thank you for your information. The "declared value" is added for the CGC total, correct? It must be otherwise it wouldn't ask for "declared value" since I'd then have to cover the insurance at the USPS when I ship them out.

I'm just a newbie so it's still a little confusing. Also, how fast should I ship the books after submitting the submission forms? That day? The next day? Does the date on the form have to be the same as the date they are shipped?

The declared value is basically what your books are insured for while they're in CGC's possession. All tiers have a different maximum declared value you can put on each book - for the modern tier, it's $200/book. 

I've never seen any reason to *not* max out the declared value of whatever book I'm sending in - if I submit modern books, each book gets a $200 declared value. Even if you're having CGC ship back your books USPS registered & insured (which is the only CGC shipping option where the price changes based on the declared value of all books on the invoice), you're only talking a couple of $$ to have your books insured to their maximum value.

It always blows my mind when I see people filling out forms where they do values like $5 or $10 for modern books - yes, that may be what you actually paid for the book, but if something happens to a book with a $5 declared value, you're only getting $5 back (even though the CGC grading cost more than that & isn't reimbursed).

In regards to date on the form - no, it doesn't matter when you actually ship the books to CGC.

Send USPS with some insurance, I do $500 as a standard for comics pre-1988.  My comics are from 1960 to 1996 which I paid for back in the early 80's, so not much invested.  I put the minimum USPS insurance of $100 on comics from 1988 forward.  I do put each comic at the max on the CGC though, which insures the now more valuable graded books are protected with little additional investment.  I've never had anything happen through USPS in regard to shipping so the $13 is just for peace of mind in my case.  Just a cost of doing business in my mind.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, Hulksmashlife said:

Does anyone know if you can fill out the form online and then email it to yourself.  EG - You don't have a home printer and do all your printing at your office..... ? :D

Greetings...when you fill the form out online, an email will be sent to you with a link to the form itself.  You can select that link and print or view as often as needed.  Of course you will need to be able to access your email from where ever you want to print.  At my office, I would not be able to do that as web based email is restricted.

Hope that helps!

DJ

I realize this thread is old, but it answered some questions I was going to ask. I’m submitting my first set of books to CGC, I brought myself a premium membership as a birthday gift so I’m excited to be submitting some books!!! Glad I happened on this thread. Thanks for the help everyone!!! 

:tink: